Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read soccer articles for a long time since I was child.I have seen many great defenders like Maldini,Nesta,Cannavaro,Terry,Vidic or even Van Dijk,but these was an interesting case because I think sometimes he is a bit overrated that playing with the best trio midfielders of all time and the great stopper Carles Puyol.Now,I view different I think people underrate him so much at least he is top 100 center-backs in my opinion and people have disrespected him so much since Puyol retired.I ask because I have read one of the best football website that I have ever seen in my life didn't give him to top 100 center-backs.So,I confused a lot.
What do you think?
How about your opinion on Pique?

·
Registered
44,292 Posts
Welcome and nice first post (at least with this account).

Top 100 seems okay. He has no business being in dream teams though (outside of club and only because of club achievements).

IMO, he can be world class but he has some serious limitations and can get caught out in the worst ways. None of the defenders you named have been as sketchy (Vidic at Inter doesn't count, lol). So he's lacking in overall reliability. While I do think he would have been successful with Serie A or EPL teams, for example, those limitations would be more exposed. But he's still be sought after because of the many positives in his game. Being at Barça does protect him from those limitations seeing much more daylight though.

100 is a huge list and without seeing or creating a list, I can't figure out where he'd slot in. Doesn't belong anywhere in or near the top 20 though.

·
Registered
44,292 Posts
Cordoba and Samuel miss the list while Gamarra makes it.

We know why Gamarra and Hyypia made it, btw. The HoF regulars put in WORK.

·
Registered
31,513 Posts
Dearman's algorithm wasn't without flaws, I specifically remember @ToniSamp questioning the low position of Pippo Inzaghi.

The lists were entertaining though.

I wonder how his subsequent project went, a ranking of admirals and generals in some other forum.

·
Registered
44,292 Posts
Dearman's ranking projects were so cool. It's never going to be scientific...but this is the only time I've appreciated something for trying to look like it is just that. Only because it's born out of romanticism. Who could possibly dislike the medal system too? King Bronze, Queen Gold, etc.

I'd have liked to see him do things aside from football. @pele10brazil has tried his hand at some areas. I'd have liked to see the best drummers and bassists for sure. If Lombardo wasn't King Gold though...

·
Registered
45,844 Posts
Dearman's algorithm wasn't without flaws, I specifically remember @ToniSamp questioning the low position of Pippo Inzaghi.

The lists were entertaining though.

I wonder how his subsequent project went, a ranking of admirals and generals in some other forum.
Did I? The one thing I remember is that while I respect his hard work on those rankings I think they were just good for starting an entertaining debate. The older I get and the more difficult is for me making rankings.

Strictly talking about Pique' I'm not a huge fan of him. I prefer center backs who can defend very well to center backs with good overall skills.

·
Registered
31,513 Posts
Here is the thread.

Apparently, Dearman disliked the criticism so much he edited your posts (he was the mod). ?

As I recall, his reaction was surprising, since he had silently taken all kinds of shit for his rankings up to that point. I guess everyone has a breaking point. There was a man who would-not-take-it anymore.

I can see why Pippo would rank relatively lowly in a certain rigid points system since he wasn't one to score tons of unimportant league goals season after season, and often he'd just be a sub, but what a sub. Also, Dearman had a "skill" rating.

It seems your posts, and his, regarding Inzaghi have been deleted though, sadly.

RoyoftheRovers also chips in, btw, with some of that golden first-hand knowledge of his, about John Charles and others. :)

Ze da Fiel was banned, btw? Didn't know that.

·
Registered
44,292 Posts
Yeah, you might be right.

It's certainly between him and Bob W The Bat. Edge might go to Bob because of his thread titles and ever-changing positions on Moratti, Eto'o, etc.

·
Registered
45,844 Posts
I have always thought and still believe JPP was someone else's alt account. Very likely Yuumei. Yuumei's knowlegde of football of the past was impressive. There is (was) also a cool pic of her inside the old Filadelfia. She could have built the new stadium on his own if they had given her the opportunity!

·
Registered
45,844 Posts
"Bye bye Moratti, cazzo in your mouth" is funny. :D
It describes the average "tifoso" of Italian football: you can win the CL but he will insult you nevertheless!
And the pic of Ron Moss in the avatar adds something to his posts... LOL!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts