Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that it has been a few years since Milan's latest success I was just wondering do many of you guys think that alot of Players are no longer interested in joining Milan given there lack of spending in recent years.
Personally I dont think so and that Milan is Milan and we have a great history but some players may have some reservations about joining us.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Jon Dahl Tomasson can be a great example. I mean, his status was on free transfer and he could've gone anywhere or stayed with Feyenoord, but he preferred signing for Milan.

·
Registered
59 Posts
AMN said:
Jon Dahl Tomasson can be a great example. I mean, his status was on free transfer and he could've gone anywhere or stayed with Feyenoord, but he preferred signing for Milan.
Plz we mean Nesta, Cannavaro, Riquelme, Montella, Totti, Ronaldinho..that level not Tomasson..

Remmeber we have been kicked in da as$ by Rivaldo, Beckham... in the past & Nesta will be the next to say "NO" to Milan !!

Sure Milan is no way close to Real or INTER now, look at their stars & look at ours..

·
Registered
426 Posts
Barby, don't disrespect Tomasson !
He's excellent, he may not go by the names of those you have mentioned but Milan made a very good deal by bringing him.

As for the fact that 'big names' don't come to Milan...
I have to agree with what you said. the managment is very slow and we often get left behind...

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Well we dont get stars casue well most are overpriced but then again

Rui went to us snubbing real and Parma
Pippo came
Sheva came
JDT came

And inter is only Vieri and Ronaldo both of whom were singed years ago

Which stars for them have performed....conceaso...NO..seedorf....NO....Sukur....NO.....

They made guys like Recoba and bought through youngsters and talents....Cordoba, Dalmat, Emre, Kallon, Zanetti *i think he sucks but many disagree,

Fact is stars are primadonnas who more often than not fail to live up to the hype.....Gimme a great young kid over a star anyday

Tudor over Thuram...look at Juve spent big on the frenchie and he blew while Tudor a youngster was gold for em whenever he played
Not to even mention the Pirlo Rui deal.

Fact is stars have too much pressure and many just play for the next big move or payday.....Stars dont see symbols but rather the $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Forget all the Nesta and Canna hype.....gimme Coloccini and Hofland and ill be much happier, cheaper and younger and will bleed for teh team, not the cash.

Lav

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Barby said:

Plz we mean Nesta, Cannavaro, Riquelme, Montella, Totti, Ronaldinho..that level not Tomasson..

I was only referring to the simplest example available, on how a player of a high quality under the status of free transfer preferred to sign for Milan.

And if those players that you have mentioned are on free transfer list, you can bet one of them will sign for Milan too. :)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
tomasson is great...i thought he was going to barca...but he shocked me and joined milan...well done...

damn...he was free...i would have loved inter to sign a quality player like him on bosman... oh btw, we did sign morfeo, gamarra both of them were free... :D:D:D

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tomasson's arrival was great I think he can prove next season if he is World Class,I love Milan as much as anyone but it is the likes of Cannavaro,Nesta,Thuram,Bonera etc who I look at also_Others may be Riquelme,Chivu,Lucio and Ballack for example I know all these players know what a great club Milan are and how great their history is but it could be just that they may look at us and see a lack of ambition with some of our signings in the last few seasons or so.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
There is no lack of ambition in our signings!

Shevchenko, Jose Mari, Rui Costa and Laursen and so on is no lack of ambition. We have been one of the clubs that spends most the last years, the question is if we spent those resources in the right way. Also an thing like that we won't sell Shevchenko also show our ambition.

Lack of results are one thing, but that has never stopped big clubs from signing big.

Remember this: Inter has ONLY won the UEFA cup and still they bought big names. Vieri and Ronaldo went to an club with no wins...

Same with Barcelona, they buy big all the time, but with no brain.

All in all we can still attract big names and we can do that until we lose our status as an big team, which is harder than many here think.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Milan can't hope to attract the TOP players in Europe. Tomasson is OK but he is not in the class of a Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Nesta, etc.

Fact is we can't compete either offering the super huge salaries like Real or Inter, or the wins like Juve or Roma. We have a bumbling management team led by Kojack and a below-par coach, Ancelotti.

No player picks a team because of what it was but what it is now and what it will be in the near future. Because Milan are middle of the pack, we'll get middle of the track players. The only way to resurrect Milan is to start with our youth program.

·
Registered
426 Posts
To prove Rosso's point, here is a statement released by Turham's agent, Fabio Parisi:

“It’s difficult for us to see Thuram wearing the Rossoneri jersey, I think that if he were to leave Juventus it would be for Manchester United.”

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
That is what I call qualified bull****.

The Thuuram thing is that he wants to play in EPL.

TO counter that statement I can tell you of what Rivaldo said last year: "If I leave Barcelona it will only be for an club like Milan or Juventus." That's what he said...

Totti siad something similar about Milan last year too. Soemthing about the only other Italian team he could think of playing for was Milan.

And of course we can get Riquelme if we wish... It is just that we have not shown any interest, I am sure he woul accept if he was offered to join us. Of course only if he got an serious offer.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont want Juve's off cuts at Milan,C'mon we have to be serious there is a catch 22 to the big spending ways some times u get what u pay for Jose Mari C'mon I dont believe he is world Class,Sheva was'nt recognised when he came to Milan and as for Rui Costa fair enough he has his name and earned his stripes at La Viola.
It's interesting Laursen is young but he needs to earn his colours to get to the likes of Nesta and Cannavaro that is why they're priced as they're,I dont believe that spending big will always get u far but spending wisely will.Personally as for Rivaldo and Thuram they can stay where they're ok fair enough I would've loved them before but now no way I dont want over paid players.Its quite clear Rivaldo is very greedy and does'nt wanna lose his big pay packet and as for Thuram he knows he maybe cant make it in Italy no more,Instead of Spending big on Thuram we can go for a 23 year old Marquez or up and comers like Lucchini or Chivu,This is true we have to rebuild ourselves as a real force in World Football you can hang on to History for so long.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
MR MEAZZA said:
,Sheva was'nt recognised when he came to Milan
Being top scorer in UCL is not being recognised?

Scoring an hattrick in Nou Camp against Barcelona is not being recognised?

Being at that time the fourth most expensive transfer is not being recognised?

The fact is that most people that followed europan football knew what great player he was.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But Sheva has become the real champion at Milan how much did we get him for,And not as many people knew him like now I did watch and saw him but many others did'nt he didnt have the high profile like he does now.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
We have the country's best facilities, the Milanno Complex and Italy's most famous stadium, the great San Siro. Behind Milan is a certain Mr. Berlusconi, the most important and wealthy man in the country. Milan has the history of winning 5 European Cups and 16 Scudetti, and was the most dominant team of the late 80s and early 90s as the stars of today were growing up, they supported and marveled at Milan.

And finally, we are one of the few clubs in the world which can pay silly $$$ to the aforementioned stars ;)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Before answering to the original question lets give the fact mentioned below a thought.

Do Milan buy BIG usually ? The fact is that Milan very rarely goes for expensive buying. So its preety naive to think that a lot of players shun Milan nowdays. Its just that we are a bit aprehensive in spending big time.;)

So obviously my answer is Yes to the original question. Lot of players would like to come to Milan. :stuckup: Of course Milan is not the same club it used to be, but we are no pushovers either. We would make news everyday. atleast as long as Berlusconi runs it. :D . A lot is always expected from Milan. Its becoz our team of the 90s have set such a high standard that it is normal for everyone to expect that.

Ciao

·
Registered
231 Posts
Milan are a great club that almost everyone would jump at the chance of joining, Milan could easily get great players if they just made offers for them. I can´t believe that this question even has to be asked. Just look at last season. Milan bought Rui, Inzaghi, Contra(who Real Madrid also wanted, but he chose Milan), Moreno(who was very attractive on the market after playing great for alaves) and Pirlo. Those are all mega transfers and if Milan just had kept Terim who was on the way of building an offencive and funny team to watch it could have led to scudetto even though it doesn´t usually work to buy a lot of big stars that all go into the first-eleven.

This year Milan are not being so active on the transfermarket, which I think is good, the team will be almost the same and will know eachother much better. Why do you think Milan was so great in the late eighties and early neighties, sure they had great players but it was also becuse they had stability and played with a pretty similar team from one season to the next. Rossi, Baresi Tassotti(Panucci), Costacurta, Maldini, Donadoni, Gullit, Reijkkard, Ancelotti and Van Basten, thats ten platers that was Milans first eleven for several years and they also got outstanding results because of that continuity in the first-eleven. Milan already have great players in their squad this year so they don´t need to buy any new star names, they should just keep going with what they allready have, if they do so I think it´s very possible that Milan can challenge for the scudetto this year.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.