Xtratime Community banner

Do you trust in Ronaldo?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess Ronaldo is one of those people that is easily affected by his life off the field, but whenever he is focused, he does seem like probably the best around.

Now he has 3 goals in 3 games and has put in back-to-back quality performances against good teams like Deportivo and Barcelona. He hasn't just been scoring, he's been tracking back and defending as well. Have you changed your mind about him leaving after his recent good form? Did you have faith in him all along? Or do you think he will soon return to his old problems?

------------------------------------------------------

Please let's not turn this into another Raul vs Ronaldo debate, this thread has NOTHING to do with our captain.

I was going to post this in the Ronaldo news section thread, but I wanted to attach a poll which I couldn't do on that thread as it already had one.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
L-Pheno said:
I guess Ronaldo is one of those people that is easily affected by his life off the field, but whenever he is focused, he does seem like probably the best around.

Now he has 3 goals in 3 games and has put in back-to-back quality performances against good teams like Deportivo and Barcelona. He hasn't just been scoring, he's been tracking back and defending as well. Have you changed your mind about him leaving after his recent good form? Did you have faith in him all along? Or do you think he will soon return to his old problems?

Please let's not turn this into another Raul vs Ronaldo debate, this thread has NOTHING to do with our captain.

I was going to post this in the Ronaldo news section thread, but I wanted to attach a poll which I couldn't do on that thread as it already had one.
you stole that off my post :tongue: :cool:

ronaldo isnt the type of player that instills that type of hatred everyone is talking about. i dont think many of us hated him as much as we claimed. he can get us to easily forgive him like he has done. i myself have not necessarily forgiven him but i its gotten to a stage where i cant hate him, but i cant get myself to like him either.

the question of should we keep him is different to this however. and i personally dont ahve the right answer to it.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I never doubted his abilities in the first place.

Form is temporary, Class is permanent.

A 'mentally fit' Ronaldo is simply the best striker in the world. Thierry who?

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
looks like he is doing a bit more training leading up to the World Cup, once the World Cup is over he'll be close to useless, you should hope he has a great World Cup then cash in then. :shades:

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For me, it's up to Ronaldo. If he wants to stay and will be 100% committed to bringing a trophy back to Real Madrid next season, then of course we will never allow someone with his quality to leave.

Sorting out our midfield problems would also help Ronaldo a great deal.

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Depends on how he performs.

If he played like he did against Barca and Depor I wouldn't mind him staying, but if he played like he did in the middle of the season then NO THANKS!!

Its sad that our season could have headed another way if Ronaldo actually was consistant. The two easy chances Ronaldo missed against Arsenal in London aren't the chances a normal Ronaldo would miss. He needs to be more consistant. This was the case last season too. He started to score against Barca and went on to score until the end of the season. He can do that this season too, but it won't bring us any success, it would only make us ask more Why and Why questions.

I don't really know if I want him to stay or no. The thing is we can't really find a replacement for him. Most good strikers are happy at their respected clubs - Villa - Plus we need the money to make other important signings, like a left back, centre defender, DM/CM etc...

A good striekr won't cost less than 30m. We have one of the best, so lets try to keep him happy and he will make us happy with his goals.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Indeed, let's not also forget that we have Cassano, Robinho and Raul.

IMO, we should set a target for both Cassano and Ronaldo to get back in top shape for the start of next season. Cassano probably won't even go to the WC, he has to use his time in the summer working out in the gym so he returns in peak physical shape, surely if he stays with us then he will be a key player next season.

The thing I don't understand is the lack of professionalism of these two players, they know they are paid a lot of money and have huge expectations, they should never be allowed to get away with being overweight. You can see that Ronaldo getting benched for a few games has made him work harder, this policy needs to continue next season; you can only play if you work hard.

·
Registered
390 Posts
When you have to answer this question, you also have to consider what's wrong?

Unfortunately there are only a few things that can motivate a player to give his best. You have money, fame, critiques and love.

Which ones work for Ronaldo? Well the guy plays football only because he enjoys it. If you don't know this, then you should come out of the closet you have been living in for the last decade.

Ronaldo makes more than $25 millions a year. Only about 5-6 of these millions come from Real Madrid. On one side maybe he has to spend a few weeks throughout the year for photoshoots and on the other side he has to train day in and day out and play quite a few games and run the risk of destroying his legs week in and week out. Keeping in mind that Ronaldo is a human being, can someone tell me which one of his income sources has better incentives?

So I think we can easily agree that money is not such a great incentive for Ronaldo. Everybody keeps talking about it and how much of a mercenary Ronaldo is and how much heart the captain has etc...well guess what you are wrong.

Now let's consider the second thing. Fame! Just for the record, Ronaldo is probably the most recognised person in this planet besides George Bush or better the president of the USA as an institution. The difference is that Ronaldo will always remain Ronaldo, while George Bush won't be president in 2009.

Now we got rid of fame as well. That's not something you can motivate Ronaldo with. It's not like he is going to get anymore famous than he already is...

Now let's get to the critiques. Frankly, I believe that critizing Ronaldo, at the best is a disincentive for him. Benching him doesn't work either. You shouldn't think that Ronaldo is playing better now because he was critizes of benched. No it's only because of the World Cup. He knows that if he doesn't start getting familiar with the goal by now he will have serious problems in the WC. Unfortunately the WC is only once in four years, and Ronaldo needs less than 10 weeks of scoring to get ready for it so that's not a strong incentive to make him give his best throughout the year.

Now why does Ronaldo care so much about the WC? Well if you have ever seen a WC game when Ronaldo was playing, you would easily understand. With people chanting your name for the whole 90 minutes, you got a hell of a reason to give them your best. Nobody chants Raul there. It's all about Ronaldo and that's why he loves to play in the WC. He doesn't need to get paid. He doesn't need fame and hell he can't stand critiques. LOVE is enough for him.

When was the last time you heard Ronaldo complain about money? When was the last time he gave shit about his critics? What is the only thing that he has been complaining about? FAN SUPPORT. He doesn't feel loved. He doesn't feel at home. Now why is so difficult for Bernabeo to make the best player in the planet feel at home?

He won and missed a penalty against Valencia, but nobody jeered him. What did he do? He apologised to the fans.

He played like shit against Arsenal and everybody jeered him. What did he do? He virtually told everybody Phuk You.

Anybody recognises the pattern?

Now it's up the fans whether they want to keep Ronaldo or not, cause I assure you there is no way in hell Ronaldo is ever going to change. A little bit of love now and then wouldn't be so bad I think.

PS:The above was only about Ronaldo's attitude, because if you want to explain his weak performance, you should also consider the team he is playing with. You should consider the fact that this year, if our midfield ever managed to get the ball past the midfield line you would have considered that a miracle. You should consider the fact that we have been playing with a wannabe coach for way too long. You should consider the fact that Real Madrid resembles an azilium etc, etc...

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even a fat, criticised and benched Ronaldo has 13 goals in 20 league games. :D

He's only 29, I think we should put pressure on him to work hard and look after himself, Fernando Martin has said players here will not get an easy ride. ;)

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Yep when he wants to Ronaldo is the best striker in the world but i can't stand his attitude and i'll be happy with a less talented striker but a committed one.
If Ronaldo wasn't such a lazy bum...

·
fawkin legend
4,943 Posts
L-Pheno said:
Even a fat, criticised and benched Ronaldo has 13 goals in 20 league games. :D
In the current Barca team he would score 30 goals with ease.
A shame he has no good assisting players around him.
Beckham ? Zidane ? Come on ...

Can't wait for the WC :)

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Hope he leaves, its a waste to end a career in a club that expects a striker to perform other functions when you have a standing midfield that simply does not make the team compact.

·
Go for 400, Raúl!
2,008 Posts
L-Pheno said:

If your question is if Ronaldo could play better than the last two seasons, then the answer is a great yes. It's in his hand. It's a matter of pure will, and a good number of hours of gym.

But if you ask whether he should stay in Madrid, then my answer is no. In its due moment I thought we shouldn't have signed him, and I have four more years of arguments to reinforce in my opinion. When he's fit, I hate the style of play that all his teams have been forced to adopt. It could never fit a team that has the obligation of winning every year. And this is the best possible scenario. Given his childish character and since he's as fickle as a vane, that scenario could only go to worse, so I will always think it would be better for all if he leaves

1 - 20 of 141 Posts