Xtratime Community banner

Do you remember ....

485 views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  B*O*S*H* 
#1 ·
Ronny Rosenthal?

The former Liverpool striker from Israel.....

Useful Player....Anybody knows where is he now??

#2 ·
Hi BOSH..

Ya I remember Ronny.. He made his debut in our last championship season in 89-90.. I remember he scored a hattrick in his first or second game against Charlton at the Valley... And all three goals were excellent.. He started very brightly but slowly faded away.. and was later famous for an outstanding miss against Villa with an open goal in front of him...

Last thing I know of him was that he went to Spurs...

#3 ·
Yasir said:
Hi BOSH..

and was later famous for an outstanding miss against Villa with an open goal in front of him...

Ya I remembered that miss.....:eek:

#4 ·
Yeah. Just as what Yasir said, the hattrick against Charlton signalled probably the start of a goal-scoring era. But alas, an alarming lack of form, plus inconsistency plagued him and he went to Spurs. Which he scored a hattrick for against Southampton (I think) to save a game. Dun really remember him much though, except that he is strong and powerful, a different like of presence from Heskey though.

Have no idea where he is now. Ask Ran. He should know.

paw;)

#5 ·
Hey... suddenly i've got another idea...

Why not keep this thread....maybe make it sticky...

and we can discuss anything (i.e. past players, events or matches) regarding Liverpool FC???

#6 ·
B*O*S*H* said:
Ronny Rosenthal?

The former Liverpool striker from Israel.....

Useful Player....Anybody knows where is he now??
Ronny's currently an agent, situated in London. After leaving us he's had some nice seasons with Tottenham and Watford, and about 3 years ago or so - announced retirement from professional football...

Ronny was responsible for Lauren's move to Arsenal among others, a move which rewarded with 3 tickets to England's friendly with Brazil last year:D

#8 ·
Ya ...why not???

We r up for it aren't we????

so here goes....

Do you remember..... that we were rumoured/on the verge of signing (I can't remember...which) Steve Bull from Wolves ????

I was gutted it didn't materialise.... he was a fantastic player, a very good header of the ball. Even Marco Van Basten said that he is a very good striker in Italia 90.

#9 ·
Hi BOSH :)

Ya I remember the rumor.. actually, I think Steve Bull (like Le Tissier) was one of those players whose career never took the turn to the bright side because they opted to stay with their clubs when moving to a bigger club was more reasonable..

Bull was (from what I know) the only NON top flight player in the English team!! Now that really does say a lot!! :eek:

#10 ·
His loyalty wins hands-down, but one has to wonder if he has the ability to score goals in the top flight though. After all, he was possibly the best player not to play in England's top-flight then.

What ever happened to Steve Harkness? Plain curious, cos when he was at Liverpool, he was not that good, but he lasted for a while before his transfer to Benfica (I am not sure...).

paw;)

#11 ·
paw said:
but one has to wonder if he has the ability to score goals in the top flight though. After all, he was possibly the best player not to play in England's top-flight then.

I am sure he has....I remember a match he played for England just before Italia 90 - I think he scored two goals, Gazza also put in a Star performance and it was this match that cemented their places in the World cup squad. He certainly did not look out of place. He even gave the defenders a torrid time.

#12 ·
Did Venables take Bull to the WC? I knew Gazza was there, but was Bull there? I am not sure he was.

But as you said, if he gave a stirring performance, then I guess he is good enough.

Do you know that the former Leicester striker Akinbiyik might be going to the WC, while Ruud and Jimmy is staying at home?

paw;)

#14 ·
paw said:
Did Venables take Bull to the WC? I knew Gazza was there, but was Bull there? I am not sure he was.

paw;)
It was Bobby Robson who was England Manager at that time.. and yes.. he was taken to Italia 90.. He was actually the first person to congratulate David Platt on that great goal he scored against Belgium... :)

#15 ·
Okay then. At least he has one WC to cherish.:)

Time flies, and it is 12 years since Italia 90.

paw;)

#16 ·
Steve Bull was a deadly striker and he certainly would've been succesful in the top flight. I remember a manager of a rival team saying how Bully had a bad first touch, to which the Wolves manager replied "Yeah, he usually scores with the second one, though."

While his loyalty might be what he's most remembered for, he was also a really good striker. The Wolves were promoted from the old Div 4 to the old Div 2 in two years, owing largely to him. The Wolves picked up very few players along the way, making this achievement even more amazing. Imagine hitting 30 goals in Div 1 with the support cast that largley belongs 2 divisions lower.

He earned 13(thirteen!) caps for England and scored 4 goals without playing a single minute of top-flight football. Can you imagine any Div1 player today playing even a single game for England and not looking out of place? Jon Macken and Lee Hughes are two of the most expensive players in the League Football, and yet they are as far from the England squad as I am.

In the late 80s/early 90s, I really wanted Bully to join Pool and was disappointed when he didn't. In hindsight, it's better that way. He ensured himself a special place in the hearts of all those who visited Molineaux in the past 15 years.

#17 ·
Hi guys ... what coincidence...

heres an article from soccernet today about Steve Bull:

Bull confident Wolves will make it
By Neil Moxley

Fifteen years ago, Roy of the Rovers was acted out for real - except the hero was not Roy Race and the club in question was not Melchester Rovers.
His name was Stephen George Bull and he played for Wolverhampton Wanderers. The only difference was that the 'Tipton Terror' failed to reach the top flight with his adopted local club, despite attempting to do so throughout his entire career.

On Sunday, Wolves will discover whether they or arch-rivals West Bromwich Albion will finally manage what Steve Bull could not, by taking the second automatic promotion spot.

A goal tally of 306 from 591 games over a 13- year spell stands as testament to Bull's ability. He sticks out like a sore thumb in the modern-day history of Wolverhampton Wanderers FC.

But statistics tell only half a story. The Wolves of the mid-Eighties had been savaged - a once-great club reduced to a shambling wreck in the bottom half of the old Division Four thanks to mismanagement and financial neglect.

Almost single- handedly, Bull rescued Wolves from oblivion. Twice he scored 50 League goals in a season as he dragged the club upwards. But they could never quite take the final step into what became the Premiership, even with Sir Jack Hayward's patronage.

Bull maintains he has come to terms with the fact that he never played for his beloved club in the top flight. The evidence, however, would suggest otherwise.

He said: 'I still go out on the pitch in my lunch-time when I return to the ground. I'm employed by the club on a part-time basis. Even now, I still can't resist walking out there. I don't know why - it's empty save for a handful of people - but there's still a buzz about the place. I suppose I can't get it out of my system.

'People ask me how it feels never to have played for the club in the Premiership. I can't say it bothers me, but I would have liked it. Going to Highbury one week, Anfield another and seeing how we would have coped.

'Life is full of ifs and buts. I made what I thought were the best decisions at the time. I played for my country in the World Cup and I scored on my debut against Scotland. I scored other goals for England and although I had opportunities to leave Wolves, I just really didn't want to.'

It still rankles with West Bromwich fans that their club transferred him at all. Their manager Ron Saunders thought £60,000 for an unproven centre forward was good business. History proved him spectacularly wrong.

Bull said: 'I was surprised that Ron sold me as I'd scored three goals in five games. I really wondered what I'd let myself in for when I turned up at Wolves.

'I walked into the old Molineux dressing-rooms and there were cockroaches crawling around the floor, the tiles were hanging off in the showers and we trained in the car park. It was a mess.

'There was a great togetherness among the players, though. I think I scored 20-odd goals in my first season and we never looked back from then on.'

In Bull's heyday, every second shop window in Wolverhampton was filled with his face. Turn one corner and his shaven head would appear on a newspaper billboard, drop into a grocer's and the result was likely to be the same.

Taking a trip into the Goalpost pub that lies a mere goalkick away from Molineux was like walking into a shrine dedicated to the glory of the Wolves' No.9.

However, there remained a lingering suspicion that the boy from the Black Country was actually a West Bromwich fan.

He said: 'Legend has it that I have a Throstle tattooed on my ankle - not true. I've got two tattoos and they are my children's names. It's a myth that I'm an Albion fan. The only team I supported as a kid was Liverpool - until I signed for the Wolves that is and since then I've been old gold and black through and through.

'People look at this club and say that we're pessimistic because we always think we're going to blow it. After 18 years, I suppose I can't blame them. This weekend, though, I believe will banish those theories once and for all and we shall do what we have always wanted - reach the Premiership.

'And if we do, I shall be right at the front of the conga that goes through Wolverhampton on Sunday night.'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

n he supported Liverpool as a kid!!!

#18 ·
Anyone remember the final match of the 88/89 season?

We were seconds from clinching yet another league title when a certain Michael Thomas scored...

I was in absolute distress after that....

It was said that we later bought thomas to put him on the bench for revenge..:D

Anyway...Really hope that we can get back at the Ar$es this time round...

#21 ·
lskydiver said:
Don't speak about that terrible day nooooooooooooo. Apart from funerals of close relatives, it was the worst day of my life.
:( Ya thats why it is one of the saddest days in my life ...next to Levek___.

Ok then ..

Do you guys remember when and why did u start supporting the Greatest Club in the world? :)

For me..it started in 1988 when I was 12...At that time, there was not that much TV coverage about European League in Singapore ...if there was, its mostly English League and more often than not, it will be Liverpool or the bitter blues. I have good taste...of course its the mighty Reds for me!! I fell in Love with LFC and started buying Shoot magazines weekly to read about them. Shoot magazines at that time always arrived a week after they were out in UK...Sad isn't it? But at that time, there was no Internet and all that ..so it was the best thing.

My fav players at that time : the whole lot really!!

Barnes, Bruce the clown, Rushie, Aldo, Nicol, Beardsley, Macca, Whelan, Ray of Hope, Molby ****, and of cos King Kenny (Player-
Manager)

#22 ·
For me, it was when I was about 4 years old. My grandather had decided to move back to England and buy a house in Wirral a few months before so my parents decided to fly over to England to visit my grandparents, plus all sorts of other relatives on the Merseyside I'd never seen before. The football season was gearing towards the end, and this must've been the 83/84 seasons, so my grandad decided to take me to a football game. I remember my cousin Mike crying because he was supposed to go and I, being the guest, got his ticket. :) In any case, I walked out of Anfield a life-long Liverpool fan.

#23 ·
Well with me it was in 1982 when I was 4 years old.. My father loved to watch football (still does).. He's a Leeds fan but they were in the lower divisions then so he was supporting Liverpool in Div 1..

I was living in England at the time (London to be exact).. and half my classmates were Spurs, West Ham supporters.. but I emerged as the only red in my class :)

There were about 3 years or so where I totally lost contact with what's going on with the club.. as I was moving back to Saudi Arabia and in those days we had no European coverage (1985-87).. and the rest as they say is history..

Favorite players??.. I'd say Ian Rush.. I simply loved his finishing.. especially against Everton :D

#24 ·
Incidentally, I got hooked onto the Red Fever at about the same time as BOSH. It is true that the only diet for English football fan in those days are the SHOOT magazine. The era of Barnes, Houghton, Whelan and Hansen thrills me. It is indeed an era unmatched since, perhaps until this season that is. My first team then, though it could have been the 1989-90/90-91 season that we play such a formation:
1) Brucie
2) Ablett
3) Staunton
4) Nicol
5) Whelan (soon to be capt)
6) Hansen (capt)
7) Beardsley
8) Houghton
9) Aldridge
10) Barnes
11) McMahon
The team that won the last championship should be dominated by these players. Sadly, that day on FA Cup day in 1988, we lost to a Lawrie Sanchez goal, with Aldridge missing a penalty. The next year, we were back at Wembley for the Cup Final again, playing in a derby against Everton. And we won. That turned out to be the only real triumph in a dramatic season, a season which would change the course of things to come for the next decade and brought on the dominance of Man U.:( Still, I could not believe the 0-2 defeat at Anfield against the Gunners on 19/5/89 (somewhere close). It was a Friday night and throughout Saturday, I refuse to believe it had happened. I believe that Fate had strike us a massively big blow. It was meant to be. It was even more strange to see Thomas joining us later.:)

Those were the days. In dark times and in good times, with more dark times in the 90s, YNWA.

paw;)

#25 ·
I mainly started to support Liverpool because most of my family supported Everton and Tranmere. My cousin would always go on at me to support Tranmere so i just went for Liverpool. Then i moved down south where most people support Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd. I know theres quite a few Liverpool supporters down here but i've only got one good friend who supports Liverpool. I'm going up to the Liverpool - Ipswich game with him actually. It'll be good to see the old city again.

#26 ·
I guess I am a rather new fan then:rolleyes: I started following pool in Jan 2000. I had just finished my school-end exams and had nothing to do...so I thought why not try out football? Before that time, I just used to follow football every 4 years during the WCs:angel: Eitherways, football had just being started to be covered on TV around that time in this forsaken country of mine:(....so even if I wanted to start following football before that time, I would have probably been dissapointed by the lack of coverage:(
Anyway, I picked out 3 teams from each of the leagues I got to watch on TV and the rationale behind my selections were somewhat like these...........:D
EPL/Liverpool - all my friends support Man U:devil: (foolish lot:eek: :tongue: ). Since I have the inborn habit of staying away from the crowd, I chose Liverpool. Of course my friends still make fun of me all the time and call me a 'loser':rolleyes: but I know for one that the decline of MU is just around the corner and Liverpool is the club that's rising;) Another reason for me picking this club was that I had been a fan of Owen since that wonder goal against Argentina in WC98:)
Serie A/Lazio - simple....there were/are loads of Argentines in the team:D
La Liga/Celta Vigo - everyone in my country either supports Barca or Real. So I again opted to be different and picked out a rather unknown club:cool: Of course I later found out that Celta probably plays the most exciting style of football in Spain (if not in Europe:cool: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.