Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inter's squad is one built for Europe. They say that over and over and over again.

That is because Inter attacks and their most defensive midfielder Cambiasso is really a two way midfielder.

Do you believe that in order to win the Serie A teams must play with a defensive mentality, and with two DMs in the middle? Is it possible to win the Serie A without such a defensive mentality.

PS: Before anyone argues otherwise, I must point out that before this year, Milan's mentality was defensive. Juve's still is. Inter's turned from defensive (under the Cuper era when we finished 3rd on the last day and 2nd I think close to Juventus) to offensive under Zaccheroni and Mancini, who have not yet gotten such good results.

Thoughts?q

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay Michael, you have a point there.....was that not the same season where Roma with Totti and Cassano played so brilliantly but lost out with a few points at the end? Capello's last season in charge?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I agree and disagree with you Al ;)

I believe Inter's squad is capable of winning the scudetto only with the right minded manager. Not only do we've got first XI which is as good as Milan's and Juve's if not better, but also a complete second team who can also perhaps challenge for Europe atleast. It has been proven before you do not require 11 world class players in every possition to win the league, but a competent coach, manager and president who will help support a project.

Inter has a good chance of winning the CL too and reaching the final would be better if facing Arsenal rather then Juve with their defensive boring football. Many will say if Arsenal beat Juve then they will easliy beat Inter too. But thats wrong analogy because Inter's attacking play suits Arsenal. Juve lost against Arsenal because they do not have as much match winners as Inter and that can help boost your chances in a knockout cup.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Another point is, all the teams left in this years CL are all not doing so well in the domistic league except Barca, but are on fine form when it comes to europe.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Defensive mentality, when coupled with a capable attack will bring in consistent success. That way, even if we lose against big teams, we will hold small teams and nick a goal or two in 90 mins. Our problems, however are in attack. Our defense has been almost magnificent overall this season. Bar Pierre Nlend Wome.

·
U get what U give
8,784 Posts
I have a stuped feeling that we are going to win CL this year, but it`s only a stuped feeling you know, so ignore it.
anyway, I think Inter has no mentality actully, so what this thread is about?

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Devious said:
I have a stuped feeling that we are going to win CL this year, but it`s only a stuped feeling you know, so ignore it.
anyway, I think Inter has no mentality actully, so what this thread is about?
Ahh the CL, something I actually care about :tongue:

And when I care about things, I start to get that please don't jinx mentality......I didn't hear your comments about us winning whatever it is u said we were gonna win...hmm la la :lala:

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Al Capone said:
Ahh the CL, something I actually care about :tongue:

And when I care about things, I start to get that please don't jinx mentality......I didn't hear your comments about us winning whatever it is u said we were gonna win...hmm la la :lala:
And thats coming from the person who doesnt believe in jinxing....what has what we say on this forum got to do with how Inter plays on the pitch :pp

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
OUr main problem over the years is Consistency.

We had problems in mid, when solved, we have problems in scoring or defense or whatever.

When Cuper needed wingers he did have anyone decent. When the wingers were brought in, its Zaccheroni.. who doesnt need them. Over bloating squad and all those things.

On the pitch, I guess its easier to maintain consistency in balanced football, like Lippi-type. It is not quite possible to win all the time with Full Attack.

Barca and former Arsenal are not serie A teams, I highly doubt a coach could win Serie A with Full Attack, although I wished Mancio could :D

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
We have the fallowing problems ,we cannot bring the best out of players ,we do not make the right tacticall decisions in small games, we change coaches quite frequantly ,we play players who are not in good form, and we also do not have a team mentility.
Hector Cuper is a good example of a person who realised that a team can not be controlled in such a feshion. Anyteam cannot be build from the attack to the defence. When we have attacking midfielders who rarelly come back and defend we have a problem, this attitude is brought on by the attacking mentility that our team upholds. But we have not had a solid defencive line in the last 5 years. Cuper realised this and tried to make a change ,this is the time when alot of supporters of Inter decided that we can win while still playing breathtaking football, but they rarelly understand that its tough matches in which you play defencivly and win with a small margine is where the team mentility is best build. Its batles ,when the whole team try to help out the defence where real team spirit is made not a 5-0 thrashing of lesser teams. Through hardship and pain players are brought closer. Inter have always had alittle too much help from Morati in this department, something that the coach should always have full controll of. Cuper was fired with in an year in which we were at most times infront, are we any nearer to the leaders this year nope not really. Every year in the CL ,Inter get to the latter stages simply because for the CL our style is one which is better suited at least against the weaker teams.
We do need to build up our mentility up we do need to try to make our offencive players contribute a bit more in defence. Now days even Ronaldo gets slatted for not coming back and helping his team out. So the attitude should be the same in Inter. Adriano as a big men should come back ,when the opostion have a courner the way big forwards like Drogba ,Mido ,Carew ,Pizzaro are doing. Its simply a wrong attacking mentility I think Inter can win with attacking play but the Inter forward players should do alot more in pressure and tacles allaround the midfield and help out in defence.
Cambiaso is good but without our flangs helping out our RD and our LD we will always have trouble in defence simply because even a player like Robben comes back and helps Gallas when the oposition is attacking.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
2nd best defence cant be too bad. The only thing missing this season has been Adri goals imo, at times we were playing 10 vs 11 when he was on the pitch. Luckly that is slowly changing now though

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
2nd best defence cant be too bad. The only thing missing this season has been Adri goals imo, at times we were playing 10 vs 11 when he was on the pitch. Luckly that is slowly changing now though

·
Registered
202 Posts
las7 said:
We have the fallowing problems ,we cannot bring the best out of players ,we do not make the right tacticall decisions in small games, we change coaches quite frequantly ,we play players who are not in good form, and we also do not have a team mentility.
Hector Cuper is a good example of a person who realised that a team can not be controlled in such a feshion. Anyteam cannot be build from the attack to the defence. When we have attacking midfielders who rarelly come back and defend we have a problem, this attitude is brought on by the attacking mentility that our team upholds. But we have not had a solid defencive line in the last 5 years. Cuper realised this and tried to make a change ,this is the time when alot of supporters of Inter decided that we can win while still playing breathtaking football, but they rarelly understand that its tough matches in which you play defencivly and win with a small margine is where the team mentility is best build. Its batles ,when the whole team try to help out the defence where real team spirit is made not a 5-0 thrashing of lesser teams. Through hardship and pain players are brought closer. Inter have always had alittle too much help from Morati in this department, something that the coach should always have full controll of. Cuper was fired with in an year in which we were at most times infront, are we any nearer to the leaders this year nope not really. Every year in the CL ,Inter get to the latter stages simply because for the CL our style is one which is better suited at least against the weaker teams.
We do need to build up our mentility up we do need to try to make our offencive players contribute a bit more in defence. Now days even Ronaldo gets slatted for not coming back and helping his team out. So the attitude should be the same in Inter. Adriano as a big men should come back ,when the opostion have a courner the way big forwards like Drogba ,Mido ,Carew ,Pizzaro are doing. Its simply a wrong attacking mentility I think Inter can win with attacking play but the Inter forward players should do alot more in pressure and tacles allaround the midfield and help out in defence.
Cambiaso is good but without our flangs helping out our RD and our LD we will always have trouble in defence simply because even a player like Robben comes back and helps Gallas when the oposition is attacking.

While i agree with the bit about mentality and it being born out hard fought 1-0 wins rather than 3-0 lopsided drubbings. You make a few points which are completely flase.

First of all under Cuper our D was worse than it is now, allowing 12 more goals than the champions in 01/02 and 9 more goals in 02/03 (league only). While on the other hand Mancini after his transition period in the first half of last season had a team that allowed the fewest goals in the the 2005 calender year, while this year we are on course to allow the fewest goal we have conceded in any of the past five seasons. I think there has been a dramatic improvements in our D when you consider in all of the past 4 seasons we have allowed 35 or more goals while this season we might not break 30. Mancini must be getting something right back there and do not tell me it is because he has a better team, the defence has stayed pretty much the same. Cuper had a young Cannavaro (for one season) and Mancini now has Samuel with both coaches having the same problems with the LB position (speaking of the LB if I am not mistaken quite a few of the recent goals conceded have come from individual mistakes from the LB, time to get a better player and solve the problem already)

As for the part about the strikers not coming back to defend corners, have you not seen Inter play since say October?? Adriano, Cruz, Martins even Recoba whoever is playing forward comes back to defend the corner. I think this has been part of the reason why we have stopped conceding such easy goals from corners this season. Also if you notice when Inter get possession of the ball after the corner watch them play the ball around or out for a throw in; they never go and launch the quick odd man rush. You know why? because nobody is up there Adriano and Martins are just making their way up the field and need to time to get back in position. Sure odd man rushes may give us an extra option to score goals on that type of situation but I would rather not concede avoidable goals from corners and obviously Mancini is on the same wavelength.

As for our midfield not contributing, i am sick and tired of people ignoring the work that Stankovic does on his side in coming back to take care of problems at the back. Next time there is an attack down our right wing watch on the left side how far back Stan usually gets to make sure there are no openings on that side. The guy is almost constantly running back and forth and then when he gets tired out from protecting the player chosen as the LB and gets exposed people will only remember his mistakes rather than how much time he spent making sure there was no trouble on that side. Once we get a proper LB and he is freed of his increasing amount of defensive work I think we will see a player than will shine in the attack and take our team to the next level. Figo might do his part a little better but Esteban and JZ make sure nothing untoward takes place on that side.

I will give you one thing though your comment about the strikers having to do more defensive work during regular play is absolutely correct. To me they should be the first line of defense and try and make sure the opposing defence is rushed into decisions that will lead to them giving up the ball easily. Who knows they might get a few easy goals that way, all they need to do is try a little harder and make it difficult for the defender to get the ball out of their zone. It would also give our midfield more time to get back, set up shop and pick up their defensive assignment. Too many times you see Adri and Martins watching as the ball goes past them to an opposing midfielder forcing Cambiasso, or Veron out of their position and exposing the backline, which in turn results in Samuel, and Cordoba having to give up stupid fouls outside and near the box because as a defender the last thing you want is a striker or midfielder running straight at you with the ball who can blow past you with one deft touch or get the ball to the striker you are supposed to be marking.

Sorry to prove you wrong mate, just my two cents on our game so far this season.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
I agree with you as a whole my post has its flaws ,but thats mainly due to the fact that I have watched mainly the matches in which we lost points this season.

·
Registered
202 Posts
:howler: so true man, i jusr think the strikers need to help the team out a lot more and if the team continues to play like they have done, more like a unit we can do very very well. Once we avoid giving up easy breakout chances and force the opposition to create some really devastating attacking moves to get any hint of goal we can then look to winning something important.

To Mancini's credit I can see that he has been trying to make the strikers work a little more on the defensive end and I believe this is part of the reason that Adriano has scored so few goals this season. Mancini is asking him to come back and do a bit of defending but afterwards when the ball is past him he needs to get back into position and make good runs off the ball so that the midfielders can get the ball to him easily. This is what Adriano has been lacking as even after he tries to get back and do a bit of defending he is just too slow in getting back and making himself available for the team. However give Mancini a bit more time and he will have the combo of Adriano and Martins working in the way that he envisioned the Inter team working when he came last year will be complete....... hopefully

1 - 20 of 27 Posts