Xtratime Community banner

do away goals count in extra time?

599 views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Crackedpleasures 
#1 ·
If both games end 0-0, and then in extra time it is 1-1, does the away team advance, or do they shoot penalties?

#13 ·
Yup they do count.

#15 ·
lol...we should settle for undecided on this one :D

seriously can't anyone just ****in google it

copy paste from regulations of uefa champions league 2007/08 downloaded from uefa's official website

Article 7
Away goals, extra time
7.01 For matches played under the cup (knock-out) system, if the two teams
involved in a tie score the same number of goals over the two legs, the team
which scores more away goals qualifies for the next stage. If this procedure
does not produce a result, i.e. if the two teams score the same number of
goals at home and away, extra time of two periods of 15 minutes shall be
played at the end of the second leg. If, during extra time, both teams score
the same number of goals, away goals count double (i.e. the visiting club
qualifies). If no goals are scored during extra time, kicks from the penalty
mark (Article 16) determine which club qualifies for the next stage.

#18 ·
Wouldn't it suck if the home team score first and the fans are overjoyed and the visiting team get one to tie and go through? not fair! I say play the extra time in two legs then! 15 minutes home and the other 15 minutes away! :pp

#20 ·
Hahaha me and my friends were worndering about this when we were watching Milan-Arsenal. They should definitely change the rule so that away goals don't count in xtratime.

For example: Fener-Sevilla played 180 minutes as even as it gets, 5-5. But if Fener scored in xt Sevilla couldn't tie the match they'd have to score 2 goals in under 30 minutes to avoid elimination. That's just unreasonable :mad:

Thanks for bringing up the topic Serb :thumbsup:

#22 ·
I am surprised by that rule, I was always told that from extra-time on it is like a new game. I agree the rule is unfair as the team playing away from home in the second leg gets extra time to score the vital away goal, but on the other hand most analists will always say it is an advantage to play the first leg away from home?

#23 ·
I agree with what you say, and I've always disagreed with "experts" who say it's better to play away in the first leg. Getting a good result in the first leg at home and possibly holding the opponent to 0 away goals, to me sounds like the ideal start. Rather than tying away 1st leg and then worrying about scoring goals and not conceeding them in the 2nd leg.

For example, I think Zenit St. Petersburg benefited from having the 1st leg at home vs. Villareal. They won 1-0 and then went to Spain knowing if they get an away goal they would most likely advance.

#24 ·
An away game first is only an advantage if you can score away goals, then you can make the perfect fundaments for qualification and finish it off at home. However, in general I would also question the "fact" that playing away is better for the first leg.

Where are the good old days when a third game on neutral soil was played when it was undecided after 2 games? Heck, even a Euro final had to be played twice once :) I wonder when the current rules of penalty kicks was actually introduced? I personally would prefer a golden goal, because penalty kicks are a lottery and a question of luck more than anything else.

#26 ·
Then fans see 300 minutes of football for the same ticket price :) Seriously, even if after 30 minutes no golden goal has been scored, they will not be playing forever, sooner or later a ball will go into the net. It would be more honest than penalty kicks to decide who proceeds, as penalty kicks are a lottery where luck decides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.