Xtratime Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do all consider Azores part of Portugal?

463 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  figo07 
G
#1 ·
Where I live(Boston Area) there are mostly people from the islands but still some continetals. I've heard them call us fake Portuguese and call people from sao miguel Japanese because of the way we speak. We've produce some players especially back in the day that could really play futebol including one now Pauleta! Maybe the big 3 clubs and everyone else should go to the Azores more often to scout new players! We could be the answer to the national teams failures the last couple of years...There could be another Pele or Eusabio hiding in the islands! What do Y'all think???

#4 ·
We are here to talk about Soccer not culture. Topics like this only start arguments. If someone says the wrong thing chaos breaks loose and we go back to where we were a few months ago...at each others throats.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

http://www.fcporto-online.com

G
#5 ·
Desculpe,I don't mean it as a culture shock! I just saying maybe The big 3 clubs should check out the talent in the islands more often! I don't want to start wars just conversation.

[This message has been edited by Alcatraz (edited 08-05-2000).]

#6 ·
Sorry to burst your bubble, Alcatraz, but the talent in the islands is not all that good. Granted, Pauleta is a very good player, but he is the exception to the rule, not the norm. The facilities there in general are not up to snuff. Also, I have played against a few lower division Azorean teams that came over to the States to play friendlies, and I was not overly impressed at the time.

In terms of producing consistent top notch soccer talent, I would have to unfortunately say that my region (Beira Alta) and the Azores are the weakest regions in Portugal.

#7 ·
I think that the way you talk has nothing to do with soccer. I was glad that a team from Azores was in Primeira Liga, but now they're not anymore. And I am sure that if there is talent in Azores it will be found, like it is found on all the little towns of the rest of Portugal. If they prove themselves they will be found. I don't care where players come from, as long as they're good. So I don't think that you have anything to base this topic on. I agree with Marcoa. Culture doesn't have anything to do with the fact that there aren't more Acoreanos playing in the Primeira Liga.

------------------
BENFICA--Forever

#8 ·
alcatraz, don`t expect to much from the azores.

the population of the azores (the 9 islands) is around 250 000. just a little less then malta.

the location and the distance between the islands dosent help

how did santa clara to reach the primera liga? i don`t think there`s was any azoreans players in the team.

b.t.w, i'm from sao miguel and i went there 6 or 7 time for vacation, and i really hope that pauleta score many goals for portugal, but i don't think the azores are a source of greats players

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.