Xtratime Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Djalminha could be on his way out of Deportivo La Coruna after the controversial Brazilian playmaker headbutted coach Javier Irureta at a training session on Wednesday.

The midfielder had to be restrained by team-mates when he attacked Irureta after he was sent off in a practice match. The 32-year-old flew into a rage when Depor's assistant coach Paco Melo signalled a penalty.

"I'm fed up with the coach here and I can't stand it anymore," he shouted as he stormed back to the dressing-room amid verbal abuse from onlooking fans.

The player nevertheless attemptedto play down the seriousness of the incident when his notoriously fiery temper cooled.

"This is just part of football and will be forgotten soon. I personally do not attach any importance to what happened. We will talk about it, but it will stay behind closed doors. I see no reason to blow this out of all proportion."

Irureta said:"The only thing I want to say is that authority and discipline will prevail.It must be the club that makes the decisions on what happens next.

He was also keen to minimise ramifications."It is not that big a thing. It was a minor event which took place because the player was on edge.

Djalminha always wants to be involved in everything.It is near the end of the season and is nervous because he has been training alone.Things like this tend to happen towards the end of the campaign."

But Depor are nevertheless set to fine the player, who has a contract until June 2005.

"We cannot consent to seeing the image of the club hurt by incidents like this," president Augusto Cesar Lendoiro told onefootball.com.

Djalminha's outburst has inevitably caused a huge commotion in Spain as a phalanx of TV channels caught the act of aggression on camera.

It is not the first time that the veteran has fallen out with Irureta. He threatened to quit Depor in October unless he was handed his first-team place back at the expense of Juan Carlos Valeron.

"Depor fans love me for the way I play and I can't return their love if I don't play," he whimpered. "I'm waiting but my patience has a limit and it's wearing thin. If I can't play here, I'll play somewhere else."

The Brazilian is famously tempremental. He was the first ever Liga player to go to a civil court to try to overturn a ban imposed by the Spanish footballing authorities after he was handed a two-game suspension for clashing with team-mate Victor last season.

A month later, though, he stifled talk that he was set to leave. "I am enchanted with the people and the city and I want see out my contract, and maybe even my career, at the Riazor," he said.

The Santos-born player, whose full name is Djalma Feitoza Dias Maia, joined Depor in 1997 from Palmeiras and proved integral in the club's 1999-2000 title-win.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Irureta is calm and peaceful, I think the problem will be solved well. Irureta has every right to prefer Valerón to Djalminha, Valerón is producing magic out there. That's why I think the club doesn't need Djalminha any more. He won't get a first team place and he's lousy as substitute, as you can see. He must be desperate to get into the first team to save hopes of the WC.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Djalminha has apologised for headbutting Deportivo La Coruna coach Javier Irureta at a training session on Wednesday.

The playmaker flew into a rage when Depor assistant coach Paco Melo signalled a penalty in a practice match and had to be restrained by team-mates after Irureta sent him off.

Onefootball.com sources at the Galician club have revealed that the veteran midfielder, who is unlikely to travel for Depor's clash with Real Betis on Sunday, will be fined £10,000.

"This will never happen again and I wholly regret what I did," Djalminha told onefootball.com. "Nerves make these things inevitable in football but it's already forgotten about. I've spoken to the coach and my team-mates and that's it."

Irureta has advised club president Augusto Cesar Lendoiro that he is still keen to keep the player.

Djalminha stormed back to the dressing room after the clash claiming he could "not stand it" at Depor anymore. Lendoiro responded that he would not allow the club's image to be harmed.

The outburst caused a huge commotion in Spain where TV channels caught the act of aggression on camera.

Djalminha threatened to quit Depor in October unless he was handed his first-team place back at the expense of Juan Carlos Valeron.

"Depor fans love me for the way I play and I can't return their love if I don't play," he moaned. "I'm waiting but my patience has a limit and it's wearing thin. If I can't play here, I'll play somewhere else."

The Brazilian has an infamously short temper.

He was the first Liga player to go to a civil court to try to overturn a ban imposed by the Spanish football authorities after being handed a two-game suspension for clashing with team-mate Victor last season.

The Santos-born player, full name Djalma Feitoza Dias Maia, joined Depor in 1997 from Palmeiras and proved integral in the club's 1999-2000 title-win.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts