Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if it was raised on TV, but i was disgusted by the flags that these 'fans' had. in 7 years at celtic park, i have seen many tricolours, which although may be used in the wroing way on occasion, are NOT bigoted in any way. at yesterdays game, almost all rangers fans had a ulster flag, or a union jack, though i was pleased to see 2 scotland flags.

waht disgusted me was the fact that there was a MASSIVE banner stretching half the length of their enclosure, and stretching down form the top tier to the bottom with "combat squad" written on it, with obvious links to terrorist groups. i also noticed other UVF flags in the rangers end.

the stewards did nothing about this and cannot beleive the decent rangers fans who i know, and the ones in here would feel knowing these animals are representing the, a vast majority of whom doing nazi salutes at the end of the game.

·
Registered
897 Posts
well I wasn't at the game but i heard the police took the flag down and confiscated it (after half time?) as well as arresting 2 people who resisted this happening. But of course It should have no place at a football ground or anywhere really (and neither should the flags with p.i.r.a and terrorist slogans on them in the celtic end at the last old firm game at ibrox)

I dont know about the nazi salutes - is it not 'red hand' salutes relating to the unionists/loyalists in northern Ireland? Exactly what this also has to do with football is another question entirely!

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
The UVF flag, I didn't see it myself, is a disgrace, just as the IRA scarfs and 'Fighting Irish' ones are.

The RED HAND salutes are also out of order...just like the Celtic fans imitating throwing grenades and firing machine guns at Filbert Street last month.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont know if it was shown on tv, but it filled most of therangers end, and as far as i was aware, nothing was done. i saw aline of police entering, but didnt see anyone being taken away.

ive never seen any ira related flags or scarves in the 7 years ive been going to football, but the fightin irish ones ive seen, is related to Notre Dame basketball team.

as for the granades and machine guns, if it WAS true, i agree its disgraceful, but ive heard conflicting reports of that, and there was never any thing on tv about it. i only heard about if from word of mouth as it was only a tabloid, which i dont read, that ran the story.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Another old firm game another, another batch of silliness from the fans. Really all fans that partake in this nonsense should be banned : sin the sash? banned. flag says p.i.r.a ? banned. It would eventually work

Ain't gonna happen though, celtic rangers ain't gonna bite the hand that feeds them.

ps "which although may be used in the wroing way on occasion, are NOT bigoted in any way"

Define used in the wrong way. I'll bet you at least one person waving a tri-colour sang some IRA song. Let me re-iterate i'm not saying that everyone waving these flags is a bigot but you're being incredibly silly if you think people don't use that flag in a bigotted fashion.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nono you misunderstood me, i meant it can often be used in the woting way, ie a bigoted way, but what i was saying that flying the flag in itself is in no way bigoted. i hope thats cleared that up for you.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I regularly wave my national colours at Ireland games. Does that make me a chucky head?? I'm getting tired or reading posts in here suggesting all irish people are supporters of the IRA and that anyone waving my national flag is some kinda of bomber or at least a supporter. Ban the Swedish flags and ban the Dutch flags etc etc if someone elses national colours offend you so much.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Badge you do not live in Scotland so you do not know how deep the bigotry goes. Sure not all the people who fly these flags support the IRA but how many fans does it take to sing a song loud enough you can actually make out the words and these words making out a pro IRA song.
And it is not just you who likes to fly flags of your country but also the nationalist who take up some of Northern Ireland who are constantly at blows with Loyalists. This is where some of the Rangers and Celtic fans actually come from and I am sure there are plenty at games all through the season in Scotland bringing there flags and all with them.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
JuveBhoy said:
was pleased to see 2 scotland flags.

you probably saw mine then :D

i've started taking along my saltire to try and help reclaim the club from the people who want to wave their Ulster flags. i dont have a problem with the Union flag, i would prefer not to see it but it doesn't upset - the Ulster ones do upest me thouhg!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Re: Disgusting rangers flags

Teddy Bear said:

you probably saw mine then :D

i've started taking along my saltire to try and help reclaim the club from the people who want to wave their Ulster flags. i dont have a problem with the Union flag, i would prefer not to see it but it doesn't upset - the Ulster ones do upest me thouhg!!!!

Well done, doing your bit to help back up the decent supporters. Need more people like you.

I think Badge you are getting the wrong end of the stick. Sometimes people can use the tricolour to ssymbolise something like terrorism but also they may just want to take it to the game.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
JB

JB, to be honest you seem like most other Old Firm fans I know.

Instead of realising that it's a two-way problem, Rangers and Celtic fans and sometimes I have done it myself, tend to blame each other for these things. The problem is 50/50. Not 75/25 towards Rangers, not 75/25 towards Celtic. FIFTY/FIFTY

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea, i dont know if that reply was to me or not badge, but what shed boy said is what i meant.

i didnt even realise you were arab dolan shed boy!! just noticed!!

where was your seat, i saw 2 saltires, one in at the corner, and one next to the celtic fans.

·
Registered
740 Posts
"but what i was saying that flying the flag in itself is in no way bigoted. i hope thats cleared that up for you."Juve

Yes it did, please understand i wasn't trying to say if you wave the flag you must be a bigot etc. :)

"I regularly wave my national colours at Ireland games. Does that make me a chucky head?? I'm getting tired or reading posts in here suggesting all irish people are supporters of the IRA and that anyone waving my national flag is some kinda of bomber or at least a supporter."badge

Why yes of course it does! Anyone who waves that flag must be a hate mongering bigotted monster!!

I'm fairly certain I explicitly said that i was not trying to say everyone who waved it was a bigot. All I was talking about was the mis-use of your national flag, i would assume in that respect you would agree with me. Please read what I say and not just react to it. Perhaps if we concentrated more on getting rid of the supporters who did mis-use it instead of getting defensive over the criticism of some of its uses then the problem would reduce.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for a start, at no point did i put a percentage blame. i started this post due to the aforementioned flags, of which ive never seen republican version of ever.

i do realise that celtic have a problem with bigotry, but regardless of what you think, i am certain in my own mind that it is worse on the other side of town. take a look at regular songs and judge it from that. bigotry is bigotry though, be it 1% or 99%, it is unacceptable at any percentage, and bigotry at my own clubs usually annoys me more, as it represents me, and i am not part of that.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Fair point JB, I either over-reacted or mis-read the intention of your post.

Just a question, do you object to be called a tim, ****, or the F word?

I don't really like the use of the h word on here directed a Rangers supporters. I've just never liked it......nit-picking now ain't I:eek:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not really, Fenian does offend me, as that is in direct reference to the ira as far as i know. tim or **** really is just like someone calling me a tally, i dont really care, i take it in fun.

i suppose hun is more offensive, as it was used directed at the nazis. who used it on here?? not me?

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
It was you actually but it wasn't directed at me and in the context I wasn't offended. Just wanted to know your stance on the situation.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Fenian, I am told means Irish Warrior so probably is to do with the IRA but I'm not sure at all. I tend to call a Celtic fan a tim which has something to do with a guy called Timothy Malloy. Dunno anything else and I'm sure there are other theories...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry! when did i say that?! i dont remember saying that in here..

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The Fenians were a group of Irish Patriots (19th century I believe). The first sod laid in Celtic Park was by the Fenian Leader of the time (Micheal Davitt ) , the sod itself being a strip of grass brought from Sligo. Dunno were the insult bit came into it but here in Dublin we have a street called Fenian Street and the only time I ever heard anyone think anything strange of it was from a nordy prod mate of mine who though it was very amusing. As a proud Irishman I dont mind being called a fenian at all.

So its got nothing to do with the 'RA.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts