Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Eduardo incident got me thinking... it got me thinking that all these footballers who remain on the floor despite hardly being touched after a tackle have no place to get away with things in football. Players should only really be floored the way Eduardo was, because he was truly hurt and its sad to see others who roll around on the floor in agony hoping the ball gets kicked out.

In England there is a rule that the ball should only be stopped if the referee deems it a head incident... however even with this rule we get controversy with teams still unsure how bad an injury really is etc.

So what I say is why dont refs just allow physios on the pitch at any time and this means that the game doesnt get stopped. So players who lie on the floor in the 88th minute with their team winning 1-0 will do themselves a disservice if they lie on the floor because the game would continue with his team 1 man short. Of course the game shoul dbe stopped for serious injuries like Eduardo's, but cases where the player looks like he is time wasting or upsetting the flow of the game, the ref should just allow the physio on and the game to continue?

Discuss.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
I don't know if it is viable cuz what if the action continues to take place around the fallen player

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes obviously if he is on the floor in the penalty area the game has to be stopped regardless, but they do it in rugby and there is no garauntee the play doesnt go back to where the injured player is. Ive actually seen it happen before :D

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
You can't judge injuries merely by how it looks. Sportsmen should be given the benefit of the doubt (although many footballers abuse that trust blatantly these days) because adequate, on-demand medical care should be a right, not a privilege, and this applies to all human beings, not just people who play football. If you look like you're injured, you should be attended to as soon as humanly possible.

The onus is for modern-day footballers to stop abusing that trust, not for the medical profession to access on a case-by-case basis.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Keep the player that needs things stopped for him off the field for 5 mins. In that case they will only be lying around if they really have too. Or if they are gigantic morons.

·
MVP
8,991 Posts
Deano said:
The Eduardo incident got me thinking... it got me thinking that all these footballers who remain on the floor despite hardly being touched after a tackle have no place to get away with things in football. Players should only really be floored the way Eduardo was, because he was truly hurt and its sad to see others who roll around on the floor in agony hoping the ball gets kicked out.

In England there is a rule that the ball should only be stopped if the referee deems it a head incident... however even with this rule we get controversy with teams still unsure how bad an injury really is etc.

So what I say is why dont refs just allow physios on the pitch at any time and this means that the game doesnt get stopped. So players who lie on the floor in the 88th minute with their team winning 1-0 will do themselves a disservice if they lie on the floor because the game would continue with his team 1 man short. Of course the game shoul dbe stopped for serious injuries like Eduardo's, but cases where the player looks like he is time wasting or upsetting the flow of the game, the ref should just allow the physio on and the game to continue?

Discuss.
The part I bolded in red - is available in FIFA rule books which is quoted many times "[...] in the best judgment of the match arbitrator [...]" - what is the center of controversy.

We can apply new rules, and new regulations, but so long as you have this ambigious statement you will always have controversy.

The 4th (5th?) referee must consistently watch TV replays and add to this "judgment" because the case of a last minute injury is a very dirty tactic used quite often in games.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Johan said:
Keep the player that needs things stopped for him off the field for 5 mins. In that case they will only be lying around if they really have too. Or if they are gigantic morons.
Yeah but then you (and your team) get punished because someone knobbles you.

·
Registered
46,111 Posts
candy-man said:
too late, Nedved only has a year or two max left in him.
:D

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
I don't have a problem with physios coming on during the game if a guy's down. Referees know when immediate attention is needed (VERY rare) as do the physios, in the past physios have ran on without permission - can't remember the player that swallowed his tongue (possibly a Spurs player?) but the physio ran on and saved him. The physio was charged.

It would stop... surely at least 90% of unnecessary stoppages. Footballers are cheats and they need to be treated like this. It's entertainment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts