Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diouf chasing the money

Controversial African El Hadji Diouf has claimed that he is only in professional football for the money.

The Senegal striker is on loan at Bolton from Liverpool, and is no stranger to controversy.

Diouf has been involved in spitting incidents while at both Liverpool and Bolton, and his on-field antics have seen him targeted by opposition fans.

The former African Player of the Year came to England in a big-money move from Lens, and he now says that he is only playing football for the money.

"I want only to pile up a lot of money to benefit my family," said Diouf.

"Afterwards, why not a career as a trainer?

"When I think of it, I want to be a cool coach - a little like Sam Allardyce or Bruno Metsu, who coached Senegal. For me they are two role models."

The 23-year-old seems to be already planning for life after his playing career, but his latest comments about money will not endear him any further to the English crowds.

Diouf has also been in trouble with his country Senegal, having been suspended for four games for violent conduct during the African Cup of Nations.

He has also been handed a six-month suspended ban by Senegal for being out in a nightclub the day before a World Cup qualifier.

Despite his bad boy reputation, Diouf insists that he is just a misunderstood character.

"When you see me for the first time you think I am arrogant - that perhaps comes from the way I walk or my clothes.

"Nobody will change me because I am myself. If I have something to say I will say it.

"However, people do not understand why I do that.

"I am a little misunderstood like Nicolas Anelka. Nico is one of the nicest people in the world."
This kind of footballer should be hanged. :skull:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Say goodbye to every player at Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle infact every player in every team.

Show me a player not in it for the money and I'll show you a liar.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ronaldinho. When he playes football you can see he's loving it.

I agree with you - everyone plays for the money, but that shouldn't be their only reason. If you don't like and enjoy what you do you won't be succeessful in football or in anything you do.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Dear CR,

Professional footballer = career
Career = Job
Job = work
Work = Money
Money = Living

Don't give what Diouf said a bad twist and put a whole new negative connotation to it regarding every other football player. There's no need to be cynical.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
karrmadamaii said:
Dear CR,

Professional footballer = career
Career = Job
Job = work
Work = Money
Money = Living

Don't give what Diouf said a bad twist and put a whole new negative connotation to it regarding every other football player. There's no need to be cynical.
Oh I'm sorry, did I break the utopian view of football you have?

Diouf has said he is in football to make money to support his family and would perhaps like to move into management afterwards.

Can I ask why you are in the job you are doing?

Perhaps, just perhaps, Diouf is being open and honest and his motives are entirely reasonable. Afterall who wouldn't want to make money to support his family (he has sent money to Senegal before not just for his family but also in his local neighbourhood of course that rarely makes the headlines).

Best of luck to him, hope he makes all he can and does whats best for his family who aren't all living in plush mansions with 10 or 12 cars.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yeah, looking at the interview it seems as if Diouf's comments were misinterpreted and twisted a bit.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
CardiffRed said:

Diouf has said he is in football to make money to support his family and would perhaps like to move into management afterwards.

Perhaps, just perhaps, Diouf is being open and honest and his motives are entirely reasonable. Afterall who wouldn't want to make money to support his family (he has sent money to Senegal before not just for his family but also in his local neighbourhood of course that rarely makes the headlines).

Best of luck to him, hope he makes all he can and does whats best for his family who aren't all living in plush mansions with 10 or 12 cars.
Dude, I don't care what you say abt Diouf. But applying that cynical take on every other football player?

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's sad to say to the once innocent sport we celebrate is turning capitalist.I was afraid this was going to happen just look at Real Madrid will all their transactions and then Rivaldo doing exactly what Diouf did.Man the players need to re-evaluate the reason they play in the first place or its means lackluster perfomances and high wages for the players :moan:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Ogopa Djz said:
It's sad to say to the once innocent sport we celebrate is turning capitalist.I was afraid this was going to happen just look at Real Madrid will all their transactions and then Rivaldo doing exactly what Diouf did.Man the players need to re-evaluate the reason they play in the first place or its means lackluster perfomances and high wages for the players :moan:

Yep they definetly need to re-evaluate, I mean, where's the perspective. How can they be thinking of their families at a time ike this.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I wonder how high are the wages of the players playing for crewe? or wigan? oldham? recreativo de huelva? cagliari? de graafschap? strasbourg?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
CardiffRed said:

I completely agree. Firstly, I think the comments in the article have been taken out of context. Secondly, even if they weren't, I don't see anything wrong in somebody playing football for money. If people can paint pictures, make movies, create sculptures, write stories and poems and compose music for money, why can't a football player play for money?

If you think football is more than a sport, a religion, then keep in mind that work is worship! :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
CardiffRed said:
Yep they definetly need to re-evaluate, I mean, where's the perspective. How can they be thinking of their families at a time ike this.
I dont know if your being sarcastic :lazy: but i meant to show that by playing for the money solely you deserve less respect.Trying look out for your family is fine with me but as fan i dont want Diouf getting paid all this dough so that he can spit on players and give a lackluster perfomace when he can clearly do better.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Also when you're making millions of pounds the difference between 2 millions £ and 3 million £ doesn't make a difference as far as providing for your family and putting food on the table. When you're making that kind of money you're set for life if you don't blow it all foolishly.

-Scott

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
\think people need to look at the actual quote rather than the nonsense around it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts