Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Il nuovo allenatore è Dino Zoff a fiorentina.it la conferma
24/01/2005

Il nuovo tecnico della Fiorentina sarà Dino Zoff, la conferma a fiorentina.it, a brevissimo è atteso un comunicato ufficiale della società Viola.

fiorentina.it

More to follow...

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zoff has Viola ambitions

Monday 24 January, 2005

New Fiorentina boss Dino Zoff insists he hasn’t joined the Tuscan giants on a short-term basis.

"I’m happy to be able to give a contribution to this club," he told fiorentina.it after replacing Sergio Buso on Monday night.

"I’m very enthusiastic about this opportunity even if I know that I have a lot of responsibility. This club has a great tradition and it is only right that this is respected.

"I have a contract for six months but with an option for another year after that initial period expires.

"I have long term plans here and the club has some interesting ideas for the future. This is what made me accept their offer."

Zoff hinted that he already has a few ideas on how to get the Viola back on track but is keeping things to himself.

"I’ve seen a lot of the club’s games on television but I won’t make a decision on what to change until I see them in action with my own eyes," he added.

The tactician was also questioned on what the last week of the transfer window could deliver him.

"We haven’t had time to talk about possible new arrivals," he claimed. "We’ll discuss those options over the next few days."

Zoff, who won 112 caps in goal for Italy, returns to the game after he was sacked by Lazio in September 2001.

Prior to that, the legend – who made 570 appearances in Serie A – was in charge of both Italy, whom he led to the Final of Euro 2000, and Juve.

Zoff becomes Fiorentina’s third boss this term after the dismissals of Emiliano Mondonico and now Buso.

"I’m disappointed to have been replaced but I am proud of the work which I have done with the squad. I wouldn’t change anything that I did," stated the latter.

"We had a new squad with a lot of young players but we had our problems such as injuries. I can just say that the players gave it their all."

The club have already stated that they want Buso to remain in some capacity but the former ‘keeper won’t be rushed.

"I’ll consider any offer from the club but I can’t go back to being the goalkeeping Coach after being sacked as the first team boss," he concluded.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zoff replaces axed Buso

Monday 24 January, 2005

Dino Zoff is the new Coach of Fiorentina after the club sacked Sergio Buso on Monday evening.

The latter was shown the door after last night’s 2-1 home loss to Roma, their third defeat in four games.

Zoff, who has been out of work since he was replaced at Lazio in September 2001, is the club’s third boss of the season after the earlier dismissal of Emiliano Mondonico.

The former Juventus and Italian national Coach has signed a contract until the summer of 2006 which changes the Viola’s future plans.

It was widely believed that the club wanted to appoint a temporary tactician before naming Cesare Prandelli as their new boss in the summer.

Zoff will make his debut on the bench this Wednesday when the Tuscan outfit face Roma again, this time in the Coppa Italia.

Departing boss Buso may struggle to accept the club’s decision after earlier hitting out at the Tuscan side.

"I don’t think I have done a normal job but an exceptional one in difficult circumstances," he said before his departure was confirmed.

"But if they think it is right to send me away, if they haven’t got the capacity to evaluate my work, then they can do what they want."

channel4.com

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Zangari_Italia said:
I hope Zoff can stay for the long term. I am glad that he is coaching again. It is a pity that he resigned from the Italian job.
I agree, i love to have him at the world cup 2002, i'm sure we would have done much better, as we've done with trapattoni.

back to the topic, it's too bad the fiorentina website only gives italian language support, .....
but i have a feeling fiorentina will do well from now on, i expect an 8th place or something in the league, by the end.

next year even trying for a europe spot ;)

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
This is good news indeed! We have not had a coach of this calibre for many years.

MILAN, Jan 24 (Reuters) - Factfile on former Italy coach Dino Zoff, who ended a three year exile from the game on Monday when he was appointed new coach of Serie A club Fiorentina.

Born: Febuary 28, 1942 in Mariano del Friuli

Playing career:

1961 - Makes first appearance in goal for Udinese and then moves to Montova before joining Napoli in 1967.

1968 - Makes debut for Italy and is part of squad that wins 1968 European Championship.

1972 - Joins Juventus, winning six Serie A titles, one Italian Cup and one UEFA Cup. Also plays in 1974 and 1978 World Cups for Italy.

1982 - At the age of 40 captains Italy as they win the World Cup in Spain.

1983 - Retires from playing, having become Italy's most capped player with 112 appearances, since overtaken by Paolo Maldini. He captained Italy 59 times.

Coaching record:

1986 - Begins coaching career with Italian Olympic team

1989-90 - Moves to Juventus, winning UEFA Cup and Italian Cup but fails to claim Italian title.

1990-94 - Coaches Lazio but despite spending heavily on foreign stars fails to bring the title to the Rome club.

1994-98 - Moves "upstairs" to become Lazio president, returns to the bench for 16 games in 1997.

1998 - Takes over as Italy coach from Cesare Maldini on a four-year contract.

2000 - Against all expectations, steers Italy to final of Euro 2000, where they lose 2-1 to France after French score injury-time equaliser and then win with golden goal.

July 4, 2000 - Announces resignation after centre-right then opposition leader Silvio Berlusconi, now Italian Prime Minister and also president of AC Milan, criticises Zoff's tactics in final.

Sept 2000 - Returns to Lazio as vice-president.

Jan 9, 2001 - Takes over as Lazio coach on an 18-month contract after Swede Sven Goran Eriksson resigns to take over England team.

Sept 20, 2001 - Replaced as Lazio coach after failing to win any of opening five games of season.

Jan 24, 2005 - Takes over as coach of Fiorentina.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Zoff is going to do an excellent job at Fiorentina,a wonderful coup to get the great man.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Looks like a good choice. Not the best coaching record, but has had moments (Lazio's 5 losses at that start of 01-02 worries me a little). From what he's said he seems to have specific ideas for the club (something Buso never really seemed to convey). Only wish this would have happened earlier. Then it would have given Zoff time to prepare for the transfer window. Don't know if it would have made a difference in our transfer activity, but it seems kinda rough for a new coach to learn about the players he has and make transfer decisions with only a week left in the window. Hopefully he'll get us to some Euro spot by the end of the season.

chris...

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
may your team settle a lot quicker then Roma did with a new coach...good luck

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Zoff calls in Cruz for Viola Tuesday 25 January, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dino Zoff has revealed his transfer plans for the new-look Fiorentina and his first signing is set to be Inter’s Julio Cruz.

The former Italy and Lazio boss was appointed yesterday evening after Coach Sergio Buso’s dismissal and immediately pointed out the need for reinforcements.

“The injuries to some of our best players have caused problems,” said Zoff. “I hope that director general Fabrizio Lucchesi can help me out with a few buys to raise the overall quality levels of the squad.”

Julio Ricardo Cruz had already been publicly pin-pointed by the Viola for several weeks, but the talks had hit obstacles due to his wage demands of £3.4m for a two and a half year contract.

However, even after Adriano’s injury Cruz has found himself pushed out of the Nerazzurri line-up and is willing to accept more reasonable terms.

A deal is expected over the next couple of days with Inter receiving £2.8m for the Argentine centre-forward.

“We have an appointment for talks with both the Fiorentina and Palermo representatives,” announced his agent Gustavo Ghezzi. “In any case, Julio will not be going out on loan, he needs a permanent move.”

The Viola are further boosted by news that Palermo have signed Davide Possanzini, as this makes the Sicilians less likely to push for Cruz.

Meanwhile, Zoff has already made one change from Buso’s reign, as goalkeeper Sebastian Cejas has been called up for tomorrow’s Coppa Italia quarter-final with Roma.

channel4

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Carson35 said:
Meanwhile, Zoff has already made one change from Buso’s reign, as goalkeeper Sebastian Cejas has been called up for tomorrow’s Coppa Italia quarter-final with Roma.

channel4
At least fiorentina.it claims following line-up:

FIORENTINA: Lupatelli, Savini, Delli Carri (12' Guigou), Viali, Maggio, Chiellini, Obodo, Ariatti, Nakata, Miccoli,Fantini (46' Jorgensen)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts