Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys view Maradona? He is my all time favorite player. He was the big star when I first started following football, so he has a special place in my heart. However, as a human being, I think he a complete loser. I think he has deserved all the suspensions he recieved (despite the fact it broke my heart). I do not see him as a victim of some big conspiracy. How do you see it? I understand many argentinians view him as some sort of martyr and victim. I was wondering how Brazilians see it.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Well Maradona was a great player, and an inspirational leader for Napoli and Argentina.
The one thing that does really annoy me is when people say he was better than Pele. That is so much stupidity that one can say.
BUt Maradona was great....pity that he could not cope with fame and money..he was not prepared to handle that....and that's why he is what he is today.
I quite like Maradona as a person , I don't like Edson Arantes do Nascimento. Maradona he reivindicates his rights etc...for both his team and country, and tries to do things.....even if that means he should be agaisnt the press or public opinion (Ex: The Palermo penalty misses).
Maradona is a typical South American...druggy, good at football, cocky, loads of women, and likes to have fun! :)

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
Pelo Corinthians, com muito amor...ate o fim.
LHP - THE WORLD IS OURS!!!

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Quite true, our Diego likes to party and have a good time...I have heard some incredible stories of his social life :)I really hope he cleans up this time.

I agree he is where he is today because of all his vices. I have always had mixed feelings about him. I got to meet him quite a few years ago and we took a photo together :)

We all know he was a better player then Pele. He played the game when it was much more difficult.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
daeone, I know your question is intended for Brazilians. I am Argentinean, but I couldn't resist in answering. Maradona, is so controversial, but I guess that is just part of his allure...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have to agree with czar here. I put Maradona above Pelé on my personal ranking based solely on ability as a player. It's not fair to judge a player by trophies or goals, especially not when they're are playing in different positions.

It's more fair to compare Ronaldo and Pelé because they played in the same position. Maradona was a link between midfield and attack. But as I said, there isn't a fair way to compare the two. Both were excellent.

------------------
Webmaster
http://worldcup.socceralliance.com

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This post is for anyone. I originally posted it on the Argentinian forum. I wanted to hear the Brazilian response as well.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Jan A,
Pele was an attacking midfielder and not a centre forward. He played in the same position as Maradona, Zico, Rivaldo etc...etc...etc...etc..
HOw can somebody that played in the same position as Pele,score so much less goals....win less titles etc..etc...etc...etc... It's just common logic!
And Pele is uncomparable. People give all this talk about Maradona, but Garricnha was a better dribbler than Maradona...as won 2 WC....one of them being on his own! :)
I rank Zico a better player than Maradona...they played in the same time, in the same position and Zico scored 500 goals more than Maradona. The only problem is that Zico did not win a WC and Maradona did!

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Pele, Garincha, Zico were all great players, Rivaldo, is turning out to be an exceptional player. However, on the pitch, player for player nobody can match Maradona he was the undisputed king.

This is a debate for the ages, it always comes up and always will. I have met many Brasileros that believe that Maradona in fact was the better of the two. He took an average team in 1986 and virtually made them himself into the World Champions. Pele, always had the luxury to have played amongst some great players while Brazil were winning WC's. Apart, from Maradona , Valdano and maybe Buruchagga, none of the players that Argentina won the WC with in ’86 would even come close to playing for Argentina today.

Maradona, possessed a left foot from another planet, and his vision and understanding of the game remain unmatched. He also proved his ability in one the toughest leagues in the world the Serie A, in where he won the Scudetto with Napoil in '86 and '90 along with a UEFA Cup and Coppa Italia. Pele, never played in Europe, he is unproven at the highest club level (Europe)

Before, Maradona was transferred to Barcelona he was scoring league goals in Argentina at an incredible rate. I am certain that had he remained in Argentina, he would have scored a much higher ratio of goals, and in that sense he would have matched Pele goal for goal. The leagues in Argentina and Brazil are too easy for players like Maradona and Pele. They can only be properly judged, when they are compared in the tougher more technically sophisticated leagues, which exist only in Europe.

Zico, was an excellent player, but perhaps performed only better in ‘82, when he had a great WC. Career wise, Maradona was superior to Zico.

It may be hard to accept that Maradona was the best player ever, but in reality he really was the best.

G

·
I hate it when people say that Maradona didnt have as many players as Pele to support him and that he is a better all around player...

Facts:
- Maradona ALWAYS had a beast defense. (Argentina and Napoli)...They won most games like 1-0, 2-1 etc...MARADONA DOESNT SCORE THAT MANY GOALS...As a matter of fact, his teams are very horrible goal scoring teams...But, their defense was phenominal...I dont want to hear anything about maradona and defense..He did nothing for defense.

-Maradona can only play when he is the focus. He would not have succeeded in good teams like Brazil..He needs the ball everytime...Thats how he works the game...Napoli and Argentina HAD to do that...The worst time of his career was at Barca...I know you guys will say Drugs, injury etc.. But the fact was that He as just a GOOD player there...Everything didnt go through him...People like Pele and Ronaldo can play ALONE and Play with great teams...their games are fit for that...

Bottom line...Maradona is a very talented [email protected]#$ up...Atleast for once, I would like to see him take responsibility for the circus rather than blame Drugs, Fifa etc...its pathetic...For the sake of his family I hope he cleans up...

G

·
Also...I am tired of the Pele played in Brazil crap...

MOST OF THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD WERE BRAZILIANS...Argentina had no good players when Maradona played...So, comparing the Argentinian league when Maradona played and Brazilian league when Pele played is just stupid...(just my opinion).

I give him respect for doing it in Italy..But I stated in my post above WHY that happened..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ze da Fiel, it shows you are a Brazilian when you rate Zico a better player than Maradona :) I think Zico was fabulous too, and you're right about one thing. Zico is the only player who can compare with Maradona, because they played at the same time. Still I think Maradona is superior. Zico also played in Europe for some years, I can't remember how he did though. I think his club was Udinese. He didn't score as much there as in Brazil for sure. I feel Zico was an underachiver. Kind of like Batistuta in today's soccer.

In Brazil I hear Leonidas, topscorer of WC 1938 is regarded as an even better player than Pelé! The discussion will go on and on anyway.

------------------
Webmaster
http://worldcup.socceralliance.com

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Tony,
thanks for your wise comments :)

Jan A,
Zico in 84 I think he was the top scorer of the Italian league...or was him or Platini, can't rememebr. He took Udinese to the second place...but many people don't remeber that :( And he was a SOLE man team , only with Edinho helping him in defense.

What a load of crap Czar!!.
Ok that Argentina team was crap....but what about Barcelona, Boca Jr., or even Napoli??
In Napoli maradona had OUTSTANDING players beside him. Bagni, De Napoli, Carnevale, Alemao, CAreca etc...etc...etc.. and the two championship he won was by single inch!

If yu say Zico only played well in 82..than you din't see Zico's career at all. Although Flamengo has had great players in its history, everyone knows that the history of the most popular club in Brazil is before and after Zico. A true legend!.

I din't see Leonidas play, but 99.99% of the world say Pele was the best. My dad lived in Sao Paulo back in the day...and he alaways tells me when Santos went to play in Sao Paulo all the papers would go : " THE KING PLAYS TODAY".
This, remember, was in Sao Paulo, the most critical crowd of brazil and pehaps thee world. We are the only country of the world which complains of winning a WC :) (94)

Also, people come over about the defenders were bad...back in the day. Well people who say that, don't understand NOTHING about football. The ebst defenders were Beckenbauer, Bobby Moore, facehtti etc..etc.. with Baresi coming afterwards. And Pele played agaisnt all of them, excpet Baresi.

Santos would not be nothing without Pele today......the guy scored 60 goals a tournament , while the other players scored about 20 goals or so. He won 11 SAO PAULO titles!!! While playing agisnt great teams such as Palemiras and Sao Paulo .....Corinthians were crap back then... although we had the biggest supporters.

Vision unmatched??? I have never seen maradona do a dribble like Pele did agasint Mazukiewcz from Uruguay in 1970...I have never seen maradona try a goal from midfiels like Pele did (he invented that by the way :) ), I have never seen maraadona lob a defender after a pwerful cross and score the goal.

The goals that maradona did while dribbleing Pele did aswell.....I've seen goals of Pele that he dribbled seven guys......in 62 in WC club final (today toyota) Pele driblled 5 BENFICA DEFENDERS, AND THEY WERE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS..Santos won 5x2 the game :)

Also, Puskas , Di Stefano ,Ghento all played in the time and din'd score half of the goals Pele did ..none of them, and they played in Europe's most powerful team Real Madrid

Di Stefano an argentian by the way...was asked who was the best player in the world.....and he said Puskas. Then the journalist asked him, what about Pele?

Di Stefano reply, you asked me the best player....Pele is not a player he is a genius :)

Czar..tell maradona to win 5 WC like Pele, score at least HALF the goals as Pele, win at least 1/8 of the titles Pele won, have half the skill of Pele that one day we can talk.

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Czar,
About the Euroepan thing taht is also debatble.
When Pele played only very few players moved from countries (Ex: Puiskas, Di Stefano, mazzola, Didi, Evaristo etc..) nad ARGUABLY the best league/championship/tournament was the Brazilian....as we had the total domination of international football back then (national team wise).
Now take the ratio of Maradona while 16 years old until he left Argentina...and take the ratio of Pele while 16 years old until the age that Maradona went to Italy (Spain back then was a little small league with worthless clubs, except Real and Barcelona...even Barcelona were quite crap)

Now take consider that Maradona reigned in Europe for only 4 years (86-90) and Pele reigned in Brazil (all the great brazilian players played at home back then...it was MANY players) from (58-73) that's 15 years of total domination by one man!

That's what I call consistency.

Also, Maradona had the door slammed on his face by a wise manager..probably the best Argentinian manager of all MENOTTI. In the 82 WC he was the biggest flop of international football (more than Ronaldo in 98). In 86 he discovered his touch......and 90 he was very lucky to have that break agaisnt us...but we din't see all that much from him. In 94 he was very good until he got banned.

Now Pele got in the place of the best brazilian player at the time (Dino Sani) and completely changed the team. As a matter of fact...the brazilian FA had not given the numebr cal out on the ****s of the players....so the swedish official started picking any number..and the #10 fell to him..the KING. :)

In 62, Brazil we doing very well until pele got injured, after that Garrincha took the responsability and with him and Zito...and Amarildo putting in the goals we got to the winners position.

In 66 the portuguese broke us..and we had to many players (a WC similar to 98...no command, no oraganization etc...etc..)

And in 70- Pele, Gerson and carlos Albeto guided us to the 3 title. (Something Argentina does not know what it is :))

So after this FACTUAL comment, Czar I hopefully think that you should agree with FACTS instead of EMOTIONS :)

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Ze & other Brasilieros,
As, I stated in an earlier message, this is a discussion for the ages. In my opinion, perhaps it would be easier to say that Pele was the greatest player of his generation, while Maradona was the greatest player of his particular generation. It is a very difficult question, football is an evolving sport and the game was different in each respective generation.

tonyp3, I didn't say that Pele, played in a crap league, my point is that although he played in a league where their were many extraordinary players, the sheer ratio of ordinary players was much greater. The same applies to Maradona, what you have said is untrue their were many good players, when Maradona played league football in Argentina, but again the number of ordinary players outweighs the extraordinary ones.

I would also say that players such as Matthews, Puskas, Cruyff, Mazzola, Charlton, Garincha and Di Stefano were all tremendous talents in their day.

In defining this issue, all of you would probably disagree with me, and claim that Pele is an incomparable God. Fair enough, if that is your opinion than so be it. My beliefs about Maradona and his abilities are based on a different set of arguments.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,501 Posts
Bbbbbbawwwwahhh

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I never say Pele and I have only seen Maradona when I was a teenager, but its difficault to believe that Maradona was better than "one goal on average" Pele.
/P

1 - 20 of 23 Posts