Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's still early, BUT this guy must be the front-runner for African POY 2004.
He has just been voted the best player in Ligue 1 by his peers and his team is in the UEFA final.

Discuss.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Whenever Drogba played with Marseille he looked better than Eto'o did with Mallorca. But Eto'o won the 2nd place at the Conf. Cup last year while Drogba didn't participate in any tournament with his NT. All in all, Drogba and Eto'o are the best African strikers right now, so I don't mind Eto'o winning the award.
Cameroon deserved it after the thing with Foe.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Well Eto'o won the award for 2003. If Drogba helps Marseille win the UEFA cup and has a good run with Ivory Coast in the WCQ, Then he should be the hot favourite for African player of 2004. A Move to Arsenal would help him too.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Nerazzuri4life said:
A Move to Arsenal would help him too.
Drogba swore loyality with Marseille because he loves the city and wants to continue working with Jose Anigo. So he'll probably stay there for some more years.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Ivory Coast attack: Bonaventure kalou-Aruna Dindane-Didier Drogba. Not bad I'd say. :)

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
lucifuga said:
All in all, Drogba and Eto'o are the best African strikers right now,
I am not too sure about that. That kid Martins is a monster. He is now scoring like crazy for Nigeria.
I still like Eto'o more though. I haven't seen enough of Drogba to comment.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Exactly, hopefully we'll be seeing the best of them in the next World Cup! :cool:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Santos is not an African :stuckup:

Benni McCarthy I like. Imagine if South Africa would be able to field all their players, they would have such a strong side! Especially with Pienaar and Benni!. :cool:

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
He went to Osasuna and he did fairly well there. :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Prince-O said:
Santos is not an African :stuckup:

Benni McCarthy I like. Imagine if South Africa would be able to field all their players, they would have such a strong side! Especially with Pienaar and Benni!. :cool:
Yeah, South Africa do have a good side :eek:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Drogba delighted with Chelsea move
tribalfootball.com - July 20, 2004

Ivory Coast international striker Didier Drogba has completed his move from Marseille to Chelsea.

The 26-year-old striker says their persistence eventually persuaded him to leave Marseille in a £24.5m deal.

"Financially and in a sporting sense I could not refuse Chelsea's offer - I hope I live up to their expectations," said the 26-year-old striker.

"I also had offers from Italian clubs, but going to Chelsea is an interesting challenge in my career and I'm glad to join them," he added.

"What convinced me to join Chelsea is that they really showed that they wanted me, and that counts a lot. I will give my best for them now.

"It's very hard to leave Marseille. I've had fantastic times there."

Marseille revealed that Chelsea offered double what Juventus were prepared to pay for Drogba.

"What Chelsea offered was the double that of Juventus' offer," said L'OM chairman Christophe Bouchet. "We could not let such an offer go.

"Everything was finalised this weekend. Didier has signed a four-year contract, and the estimated price tag is between 35 and 40m euros (£23.3m and £26.6m)."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts