Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's this with Agathe playing in scotland for over 5 years - he can now apply for a british passport making him eligible to play for Scotland? Didn't they try this a few years ago with that Ipswich striker (Dave Johnson I think) in which I was glad couldn't happen? I get pi$$ed off enough as it is with players in the past such as Hutchinson and Elliot looking to their grand parent relations to play for scotland cause they're not good enough for England, but a full blooded frenchman playing for scotland? No Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Agathe has more ability than most of the present Scotlad squad put together, I personally would love to see him in a Scotland jersey.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my opinion - I wouldn't care if Agathe had the capabilities of a player such as Ronaldo; I would refuse to watch a scotland international team that included a player with no relations to scotland. About the player himself - he can't cross worth a f***.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
OK, say we don't take him, then who is better as rightback/wingback?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
If every other country is using such rules (and i don't particularly like the rule that much) to their advantage then it would be foolish not to do the same.

Anyway what players qualify (or will soon qualify) and who could also make it into the Scotland team?

Agathe, Stefan Klos (i think his German caps were not in full internationals) and Nacho Novo must be be quite soon as well.

Whether any of them would want to play for Scotland though is a different matter :D

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Novo, Fletcher, McFadden, Miller, yes please:D

Klos, nah, don't think so, Agathe though I wouldn't rule out simply as we don't have anyone better.

The rules are there, we have to make the best of them, as our own players are shíte.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
We have the same trouble with the Irish team, with a guy like Clinton Morrison who's only connection is that his grandmother is Irish and Tony Cascorino who should never have actually played becoz he was really adopted.

It is shitty but being from countries with small popualtions this type of thing just seems to happen.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
If FRANCE can get away with it (anyone remember that famous Algerian Zinedine something?), so can we. I'd rather have a French guy with no history with Scotland than an English guy.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I think Zidane was born in Marseille

might be wrong on a few places but i think these are the main players who were not born in France

Trezeguet -Argentina
Vieira - Senegal
Desailly - Ghana
Thuram - Gaudeloupe
Karembeau - New Caledonia
Makelele - Congo

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Djourkaeff is Armenian too;)

Oh, & Lizarazu should be playing for a Basque NT instead of France too!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
The thing is with those players is that the French national team would be harder to get picked for than most of their countries of birth and most of them lived in France for most of their lives.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Incidentally we could also get Cudicini because he gets a BRITISH passport if he applies, not an English one.

God Save The Queen!:tongue:;)

·
Registered
740 Posts
well as normal for this type of thing my heart says "no" but my head says "well he could do a job for us".

At the end of the day if agathe was part of scotlands world cup winning team (stop laughing you at the back!) i'd happily worship the ground he walked on.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh dear, now this is really starting to get a joke; first agathe, then fernandez, and now the worst of the lot: Amoruso, maybe we should forget about all our youth and build our first team up with foreign duds such as the examples above :rolleyes:

About Senegal: Didn't France own Senagal before they gained independance?

·
Registered
167 Posts
i dont wanna see agathe or any other non qualified player play for scotland. i would rather see us drop out the top 100

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
_Eight_Ball_ said:

About Senegal: Didn't France own Senagal before they gained independance?
Yeah, first France took slaves from their country, now they take football players ;) hehe

About all this foreign players playing for another "national team" I can only say that you should be able to do so, but you should have some strong connection with the country, stronger than you just have lived there the past five years.
Alot of "decent" players that can't get into their "real national team" seems to use this just so they get the chance to play for a national team but they really dont give a sh*t in what team they play for. Just as long as they get to play national team football.
And this my friends is ofcourse wrong.

The rules should be looked over more carefull and corrections should be made.
Although this probably will be hard.
Im not sure you really can do anything about it. Because the rules are based on the country rules. "if you live here for five years you get citizenship for that specific country" and how in the world do you change these rules?
And quite honestly, those rules are good, for a "normal person" but it's quite disturbing when you see players, traitors if you like, use this to become famous.
Oven and out...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts