Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from the offish ...

Dietmar Hamann has been ruled out of action for a month, meaning he will miss both legs of Liverpool's Champions League quarter final with Juventus.
Hamann sustained a medial knee ligament injury during Sunday's derby and manager Rafa Benitez doesn't expect him to return to training until the end of April.

The German midfielder will therefore miss crucial league games against Bolton, Manchester City and Tottenham as well as the two games with Italian giants Juventus.

Igor Biscan is expected to deputise for Hamann over the coming weeks, with Xabi Alonso still a couple of weeks away from a return.

"Didi will be out for a month," said Benitez. "He has a ligament problem and usually it takes at least four weeks to recover.

"Now we need to look at some of the youngsters who did so well in the Carling Cup.

"I'd prefer not to talk too much about my options for the Bolton game now because of the internationals. I can plan to use players, but I have to make sure they come back from their national team fit.

"I need to wait and keep my fingers crossed. If I say I want to play with Luis Garcia and Steven Gerrard as attackers, I may find both are unavailable. After all, I now have a book of injuries."

Djimi Traore should be back for the Bolton game after recovering from a thigh injury but Harry Kewell will still be sidelined.

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Would be interesting to see how our formation will be, if the worst happened come the Bolton game, and Mori was stil out injured, how would our squad be? I'm thinking of something like this:
Dudek
Finnan Carra Hyypia Traore (hopefully will be fit)
Smicer Gerrard diao Riise
LG Le Tallec

OR:
Same GK and back-line
Smicer Diao Biscan Riise
Gerrard
Luis Garcia

Going to be tough, but hopefully we'll be up to it :boxing:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well with Didi out i think our formation for bolton game could be like this:

Dudek
finnan-carra-Pelle-Traore
Nunez-Biscan-Gerrard-Riise
Smicer
Little Luis .
btw, Rafa hinted he may use the reserve players..could be Welsh with Biscan in CM ..with Gerrard off Luis.. or Le tallec up front ... really confusing with these injuries..

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
my pick barring any injuries from the international week:

-----------------------Dudek-------------------------
------------------------------------------------------
---Finnan------Carra------Hyppia/Pelle-----Traore/Riise
----------------Welsh/Potter---Biscan-----------------
----Garcia/Gerrard-----Gerrard/Garcia-----Riise/Smicer--
------------------------Le Tallec/Garcia---------------

My bet is that we see Garcia playing just behind the main striker (if he's not playing as the main striker). The reason for this is that Garcia plays at his best just behind the main man, and unless Xabi is playing, Garcia won't hug the right touchline.

We have seen tactically, Gerrard can adapt better on the right in the Leverkusen game without Xabi in the team, and Garcia does more damage in the center without Xabi in the team. Gerrard can cross a little better than Garcia on the right, and at the same time Garcia can pop up anywhere in the box anytime if he plays in the center. His lack of pace and physique will isolate him on the right too much if he plays there.

Personally, my choice to partner Biscan in the center is Potter, as he has the better eye for passes than Welsh, although if we are needing some steel, Welsh offers a little more than Potter in that respect.

IF Traore recovers then he'll start, otherwise RIise will play LB with Smicer on the LM. Won't be surprised if the formation below is played instead, since Nunez has had more games than Le Tallec:
-----------------------Dudek-------------------------
---Finnan------Carra------Hyppia/Pelle-----Traore/Riise
----------------Welsh/Potter---Biscan-----------------
----Nunez/Smicer--------Gerrard---------Riise/Smicer--
------------------------Garcia------------------------

·
Registered
55 Posts
and now nunez playing good ( i absolutely hated him as a player b4 the merseyside derby but i saw the match and he played pretty well) he'll probably start on the wing. i used to hate pellegrino too but hes cumin good aswell. (he was one of the MOM in the reserves) i really think all rafas signings have, so far, been good.

xabi (our back-up of gerrard)
garcia (big game player)
nunez (1 good game)
pellegrino (teaming well with carra)
carson (keeper for the future, hopefully wont b plagued by injuries like kirkland)
cisse (started to cum good right b4 his horrific injury)
morientes (good player with experience and needs to keep fit though)

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
:frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts