Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that Don Fabio will pick his squad tomorrow for home friendlies against Slovakia [28th March] and Ukraine [1st April].

Aaron Lennon will probably get a chance against either teams.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
how interesting.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it's gonna some nice exquisite football against them.

Wish we could play some more credible opposition than Slovakia.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
friendly against Ukraine? Aren't they in our WCQ group?

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right, they are. I had my wires crossed.

Slovakia is a friendly, Ukraine is a Qualifier.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Going to the Slovakia game, hopefully a few goals at least.

England squad:

Goalkeepers
: David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham United), Ben Foster (Manchester United)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Joleon Lescott (Everton), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), John Terry (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Matthew Upson (West Ham United), Ledley King (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), David Beckham (AC Milan), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Steven Gerrad (Liverpool).

Forwards: Carlton Cole (West Ham United), Peter Crouch (Portsmouth), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

Forwards look gash as usual, man I miss Shearer/Sheringham. Downing will probably start as he is well ahead of Young who can't even make the squad apparently. Baines is a good choice, hopefully Cole doesn't play who has been horrid for a long time... should only play if our opposition is Portugal. The midfield picked will be interesting, should play with Milans 'old' system with Gattuso (Barry/Carrick), Pirlo (Lampard) and Kaka (Gerrard).

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
The fact you made Lampard out to be a 'Pirlo' type player is already laughable. Yes Lampard is a good player at what he does, but he is a box to box player, not a 'Pirlo'.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
The closest to what Pirlo does out of those players is Carrick.

Downing getting selected time and time again defies belief.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going to the Slovakia game, hopefully a few goals at least.

England squad:

Goalkeepers
: David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham United), Ben Foster (Manchester United)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Joleon Lescott (Everton), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), John Terry (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Matthew Upson (West Ham United), Ledley King (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), David Beckham (AC Milan), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Steven Gerrad (Liverpool).

Forwards: Carlton Cole (West Ham United), Peter Crouch (Portsmouth), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

Forwards look gash as usual, man I miss Shearer/Sheringham. Downing will probably start as he is well ahead of Young who can't even make the squad apparently. Baines is a good choice, hopefully Cole doesn't play who has been horrid for a long time... should only play if our opposition is Portugal. The midfield picked will be interesting, should play with Milans 'old' system with Gattuso (Barry/Carrick), Pirlo (Lampard) and Kaka (Gerrard).
I'm guessing the starting line-up for Slovakia will be:

Foster

Johnson - Ferdinand/Jags - Terry - Baines

Lennon - Carrick - Lampard - Downing

Rooney - Crouch​

Downing has been selected ahead of Young for the past dozens of times, so I can't see that changing. I don't know what Don Fabio sees in Downing anyway.

Lennon has been on form lately, but his final ball is still as diabolical as ever. He can't cross for shit.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Lennon has set up our last few goals from crosses

he might not be the best at high balls into the box, but he is getting a lot better with cut backs and balls to the edge of the box, good for the likes of lampard, gerrard and rooney arriving late

would be a travesty if he doesnt get 45 minutes based on recent form

hope ledley isnt asked to train, he never should have been called up, should have been woody

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I wish there was someway for us to make Capello get Woody.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Lennon has been on form lately, but his final ball is still as diabolical as ever. He can't cross for shit.
So wrong. His crossing has improved tenfold this season and in the last few months his final ball has been terrific for the most part.

Why is that Capello will never call up Woodgate or Young? It was the same with Carrick for his first load of squads.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Just got back from the game, shocking lack of any posts and I doubt you have all found lives. :D

Good game, Rooney was simply beyond class and made everyone else look below average. Not a great atmosphere, pockets of people singing really. Slovakia fans were excellent, no real booing from our lot... only for Ashley Cole. :) Played some good stuff.

Oh and Downing is still a mong.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't even watch the game as I was in Peterborough all day for our game and we just got in. F*cking miserable cold wet day on the terraces.

Nice to see Heskey score though.

·
Rookie of the Year 2007
10,003 Posts
Just got back from the game, shocking lack of any posts and I doubt you have all found lives. :D

Good game, Rooney was simply beyond class and made everyone else look below average. Not a great atmosphere, pockets of people singing really. Slovakia fans were excellent, no real booing from our lot... only for Ashley Cole. :) Played some good stuff.

Oh and Downing is still a mong.
Surprisingly Beckham had a very good second half. The Italian move seems to have really rejuvenated him.

Gerrard and Rooney were the players that really stood head and shoulders above the rest.

How does anyone rate Lampards performance?

·
Rookie of the Year 2007
10,003 Posts
And what a horrible kit...one of the worst that I 've ever seen regarding England

It just looks plain.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I think the kit is nice. Old fashioned which makes it better. Good win for you guys in preparation for Ukraine.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts