Xtratime Community banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
69,078 Posts
I'm doing a cross Canada trip in my 08 mk5 GTI.
If you're being serious, is GTI a reliable car? I'm considering buying a new car (my 05 Honda still doesn't have any serious issues but need to upgrade eventually as the car is nearing 200,000 miles) and the GTI is one of my considerations. But I've read constantly about VWs reliability issues, especially the cars sold in NA as they are made in Mexico rather than Germany. Also, it is more expensive than my other main options the Honda Civic and Mazda3. I'm also thinking about the Jetta but it isn't as fun to drive as the GTI

In general though during my research is seems VW is much more popular in Canada than in the US, here it seems if you want to buy a compact car you just get a Toyota Corolla, which will last you like 20 years but boring to drive :D

·
Registered
27,280 Posts
VW is a much better driver car than Honda or Mazda. It is more expensive to fix and it gets old sooner, plus fuel consumption can't compare to Japanese cars. Way more fun to drive though.

Overall, VWs are reliable cars. I had a non GTI Golf for 5 years, it was a little tank, never failed me.

·
Registered
43,694 Posts
VW is a much better driver car than Honda or Mazda. It is more expensive to fix and it gets old sooner, plus fuel consumption can't compare to Japanese cars. Way more fun to drive though.

Overall, VWs are reliable cars. I had a non GTI Golf for 5 years, it was a little tank, never failed me.
Golf GTI is one of my true loves. Someone who appreciates the Golf GTI is like someone who listens to Faith No More or understands good music.

You know what love is? Look at this:

·
Registered
15,452 Posts
Not to be confused with caponata napoletana (which is a completely different thing)

Sicilian food and women are generally exceptional.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
If you're being serious, is GTI a reliable car? I'm considering buying a new car (my 05 Honda still doesn't have any serious issues but need to upgrade eventually as the car is nearing 200,000 miles) and the GTI is one of my considerations. But I've read constantly about VWs reliability issues, especially the cars sold in NA as they are made in Mexico rather than Germany. Also, it is more expensive than my other main options the Honda Civic and Mazda3. I'm also thinking about the Jetta but it isn't as fun to drive as the GTI

In general though during my research is seems VW is much more popular in Canada than in the US, here it seems if you want to buy a compact car you just get a Toyota Corolla, which will last you like 20 years but boring to drive :D
If you want reliability and the fun factor, then it's easily Mazda3 in this case. Honda is comparatively always more expensive but they do have great trade-in value. Toyota is reliable but boring as you mentioned. VW are generally expensive and lack reliability. Then there's also the Mazda Miata. One of the best cars you can get for the price. So yea, Japo all day everyday :D

This guy breaks down cars the best unlike all the other sponsored crap on youtube.

·
Registered
27,280 Posts
Golf GTI is one of my true loves. Someone who appreciates the Golf GTI is like someone who listens to Faith No More or understands good music.

You know what love is? Look at this:

The R32 are also great.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Honda does have good engines. The machining, engineering is probably the best.

For me, the biggest differences between German(esque) and Japanese cars is the driver's experience. Japs are utilitarian, whereas the squareheads market and price their own corporate Kuntianism.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I got a Skoda Favorit from my granddad, he bought it in 1990. But what does that have to do with summer lockdowns?

41 - 60 of 68 Posts