Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the first half Totti fired several inneffective corner kicks low to the near post.

Does anyone think those were intentional or misfires.

In the second half we had several better corners with one that should have been headed in.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Yeh I noticed it also but there's nothing much that can be done about it, Totti's set pieces aren't bad but aren't the best either. He's our 2nd best set piece taker though after Del Piero, who is very good at these things but unfortunately doesn't do much else.
If we had Baggio and Albertini(what I would give to have these 2 guys in the team right now :depress: ) we would have had 2 other nice options for corners and free kicks.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Totti has never been great at free kick crosses and corners

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
yeah, totti isnt good at set pieces at all. i think the only player in our squad who can take set pieces is del piero because he takes them all at juve.

its a major problem...i wonder if del piero was on the field taking those set pieces, how many more goals would italy have in this tournament.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
I'm sick of Totti and his free kicks!! It took him 8 of them to finally hit the post vs Croatia, he always tries to shoot for goal, no matter the distance, they were all wasted.

But answer me this all you Azzurri experts... Unless I'm completely mistaken here, is it not correct that Doni scored a number of goals from free kicks this year? Whyyyyy can't they let him take at least some of those? :(

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I've been saying this lotsa times.......Del Piero should start every match!
He's one of the best in the world in terms of creating oppurtunity from set pieces!
We missed a lot of chances in all 3 games we played; we're just awful in set piece situation!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
why Trapattoni never let Totti and Del Piero play with each other?? then he will have good passes and good set pieses.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Totti's corners were more off than I've ever seen in last nights game, they looked even worse than an amateur would do. No more corners for him.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You really shouldn't be so hard on Totti, TORO ... they were masterpieces compared to the one taken by Montella.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
numerodix said:
But answer me this all you Azzurri experts... Unless I'm completely mistaken here, is it not correct that Doni scored a number of goals from free kicks this year? Whyyyyy can't they let him take at least some of those? :(
Hellooo? Anyone to answer that?

I totally second that. I believe that among the 16 goals Doni struck this season, there must have been some free-kicks! How many goals did Totti scored in his career, but more importantly, this season? :eek:

Just the fact that Italy has no one better at set pieces, Del Piero would deserve a strating spot. Del Piero scored 5 this very season, I believe (2 in Serie A, 2 in Champion's League, 1 against Hungary), maybe more. (Why did Montella take this free-kick yesterday, huh?) Added his many accurate corner-kicks which ended in the back of the net. :)

The importance of set-pieces in the modern game is crucial. Especially for a team like Italy, whose display isn't always providing many other scoring chances.

1) Del Piero
2) Doni
3) Totti

Ciao.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
IL TORO said:

If we had Baggio and Albertini(what I would give to have these 2 guys in the team right now :depress: ) .
My life..I'd give my life:depress:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Can't I exaggerate a little?:tongue: .....:rolleyes:

I do think with both of them in the team Italy would perform much more better.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
chinq said:
You really shouldn't be so hard on Totti, TORO ... they were masterpieces compared to the one taken by Montella.
Yeh Montella's corner was even worse. Also the freekick he took wasn't so good I dunno why it wasn't Del Piero to take it. Montella should stick to what he's good at, scoring goals!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Gabrielle said:

My life..I'd give my life:depress:
Gabrielle, we had one in Ambrosini who is practically as good as Albertini(infact in the few games he played in the season he probably played better than Albertini), all he lacked is Albertini's experience. Our crazy C.T left him out though.

There is no substitute for Baggio.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I don't know why Ambro is left out...he was out of action for quite some time due to injury last season that's probably why Trap has no confidence to bring him:(

IL TORO,you're so right about Baggio :proud:

BTW, if any players get injured in the current team,can new players be brought in?:confused:

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
Gabrielle said:

BTW, if any players get injured in the current team,can new players be brought in?:confused:
Unfortunately, no. Otherwise we could try to fake injuries to Gattusso, Di Livio and Delvecchio.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts