Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phil was an all rounder when in his prime in my opinion. One of the major stars in the team when he was a both Liverpool and Sporting. An international player of the highest quality. This guy never gets mentioned. I'm not sayin he's as good as Pele, but a few years ago he would have been in my world 11.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I dont know whether to laugh or cry.Phil Babb is one of the worst Centre halfes to wear the red shirt.Terrible player, absolutely awful and i cant say enough bad things about the guy as a player.He was brilliant at USA94, Liverpool snap him up and he becomes the worst defender in the league.He is a good bloke and he still says the highlight of his career is playing for Liverpool and i have alot of time for Phil but i am truly appalled by your statement.He wasnt one of the major stars at Liverpool, he caused a major bloody headache for the Liverpool fans, and he was on nothing more than holiday in Portugal besides his first year were he was sparingly used.

As soon as Sunderland signed Babb it was a formality that they would go down.As i say, good bloke but an awful, awful player.Im still in shock by your comments.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Have you ever even watched a game of soccer pal? King of the Kop my arse...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
dough_ballz said:
Have you ever even watched a game of soccer pal? King of the Kop my arse...:rolleyes:
I watched Phil Babb in the heart of the Liverpool defence for a few years mate.I still have nightmares.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well we're all entitled to our opinions, but it seems that some of us are wrong. How did Phil consistently get picked for the Irish international team? That's what I'm asking????

He was a rock in Portugal. Nothing could get by him.

C'mon lets give him more credit, King of the Kop..........you have to be takin the píss

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I would love to give him credit, He's an ex-Liverpool player and a nice bloke.But are you denying that he was simply awful for Liverpool ? Hugo Viana, Postiga and Ronaldo also looked good in Portugal.The guy was on paid holiday there.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
i have to back KOTK up. :tongue:

Phil Babb may have played decent for Ireland and Coventry but at Liverpool he was like watching a car crash :(

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys obviously don't like him personally for some reason. It's people like you that made him turn to a club like Sunderland in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
King of the Kop said:
He is a good bloke and he still says the highlight of his career is playing for Liverpool and i have alot of time for Phil.
King of the Kop said:
As i say, good bloke but an awful, awful player

King of the Kop said:
I would love to give him credit, He's an ex-Liverpool player and a nice guy
Mise_Me_Fein said:
You guys obviously don't like him personally for some reason.
:stress:

And "turning to Sunderland" Im sure nobody else would take him.And it's people like Jern and I who think he is cack that made him turn to Sunderland.Yes OK.

D

·
0 Posts
Phil Babb is, and was, awful. Simple as. He made his name in 1994 on the back of a world cup during which he was carried the whole way through by Paul McGrath. Babb was ok at Coventry but simply horrendous at Liverpool. I can't remember us having a worse centre-half than Babb in my 20+ years watching Liverpool. Why was he constantly picked for Ireland?? two reasons, one was that we had no1 else, and the second was that McCarthy had fukk all idea what he was doing. Notice that the only succesful qualifying campaign we had under McCarthy came when when Babb wasn't in the team.

He was a rock in Portugal?? they are only 4 good teams in Portugal, Porto, Benfica, Boavista and Sporting, and Babb was awful against Porto, Benfica and Boavista whenever i saw him.

A terrible player, and as for this nice guy nonsense, have you ever met him for any longer than to get an autograph?? Phil unfortunately suffered from rectal cranial inversion during his time at Anfield.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
Phil Babb is, and was, awful. Simple as. He made his name in 1994 on the back of a world cup during which he was carried the whole way through by Paul McGrath. Babb was ok at Coventry but simply horrendous at Liverpool. I can't remember us having a worse centre-half than Babb in my 20+ years watching Liverpool. Why was he constantly picked for Ireland?? two reasons, one was that we had no1 else, and the second was that McCarthy had fukk all idea what he was doing. Notice that the only succesful qualifying campaign we had under McCarthy came when when Babb wasn't in the team.

He was a rock in Portugal?? they are only 4 good teams in Portugal, Porto, Benfica, Boavista and Sporting, and Babb was awful against Porto, Benfica and Boavista whenever i saw him.

A terrible player, and as for this nice guy nonsense, have you ever met him for any longer than to get an autograph?? Phil unfortunately suffered from rectal cranial inversion during his time at Anfield.

Yeah.... and Black is White and water flows uphill
Whatever dude

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Mise_Me_Fein said:
but a few years ago he would have been in my world 11.
i really would like to have seen that world XI, probably would have pissed laughing

D

·
0 Posts
dough_ballz said:
Yeah.... and Black is White and water flows uphill
Whatever dude
you're an idiot, should have known since your from Kerry. Babb is crap and always was.

D

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Did Phil Babb ever get the credit he deserved????

killah said:
i really would like to have seen that world XI, probably would have pissed laughing
I'd like to see it to, and i'd love to know how long ago he means by "a few years".

M

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Did Phil Babb ever get the credit he deserved????

:howler: Maybe I should start a thread called "Did Phil Neville ever get the credit he deserved"? and then claim he was World 11 material. :howler:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
now you're just being silly

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
I can't remember us having a worse centre-half than Babb in my 20+ years watching Liverpool.
How about Bjorn Tore Kvarme? That was one hideous central defender. At least Babb gave me the impression that if he managed to concentrate hard enough he COULD be quite ok. Kvarme was simply hopeless.

But Babb was indeed horrible.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
AMOROSO! said:
How about Bjorn Tore Kvarme? That was one hideous central defender. At least Babb gave me the impression that if he managed to concentrate hard enough he COULD be quite ok. Kvarme was simply hopeless.

But Babb was indeed horrible.
One thing about Kvarme. He has improved you know! He is not as bad as during his first season at Real Sociedad. Still not world XI material though :eek:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts