Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Joined
·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by fielding a second string in Fenerbache ?

if he hadn't and you had won that game, you would now probably be looking at a quarter final with PSV, get through that and a possible semi final with Internazionale and it looks possible.

what do you reckon ? i think it was a monumental mistake.

hindsight can be said is a wonderful thing but even at the time it was an incredibly strange decision to not want to be top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,318 Posts
As you say, everything's easier in hindsight.

I think Ferguson's of the opinion that it doesn't matter who you play in the champions league, you have to beat what's put infront of you.

Let's say we were in the semi then, there's still a big possibility we'd play Milan.

I think it's fair to say Milan outplayed us in both legs, but don't forget how close both Fortune and Giggs were to making it 2-2.

You need the luck to be with you in this competition, all the winners get it.
 

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Joined
·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simba said:
As you say, everything's easier in hindsight.

I think Ferguson's of the opinion that it doesn't matter who you play in the champions league, you have to beat what's put infront of you.

I think that's right, he does think that, but isn't that stupid, you should hope for the easiest draw possible and hope the other giants knock eachother out.

it's ok for fans to think like that but the manager who has a responsibility ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,318 Posts
Well, let's say we win the champions league on an easy run without facing the favourites.

You think we'd be allowed to celebrate it? not a chance!

you, the scousers, the italians, the spanish etc... would all poo-poo it as the champions league that United won without playing the biggest teams!

We can't win, so I don't think it matters :)
 

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Joined
·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so you wouldn't want to win it because of us fans, whatever happened to United against the World ? :fero:

you shouldn't give a monkey's what me and my jealous mates would say :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,318 Posts
it's all if's and but's, there's no saying we would have gotten an easy draw if we finished top - may well still have stumbled there!

To win the champions league you need a team that is at or very close to its peak, a bit (or a lot.. mourinho) of luck when it matters, and a real desire/belief you can win it.

Of course finishing top of the group offers the incentive of facing a 'weaker' opponent but it doesn't always work that way.

If it wasn't for Scholes disallowed goal against Porto we'd have beaten, who then became the eventual winners - does that mean we should have won it last season?

I don't think so, I think it's won on merit. You've got to beat any team, at any stage in the comp to be the best. That's just my opinion of course :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,535 Posts
Simba said:
you, the scousers, the italians, the spanish etc... would all poo-poo it as the champions league that United won without playing the biggest teams!
you shouldn't look at this way. it's a lot better for the club to win the CL by playing "weak" sides than it is to go out tamely against the stronger ones. the big clubs are expected to do well in this competition, if they all get eliminated and Man Utd could win it by beating PSV or Lyon, then the Italians, Spanish, Liverpool and Arsenal supporters can't really afford to criticise your team without looking pretty bad themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
I don't really think we could win the CL with this team even if we drew PSV and Inter, unless we had ALOT of luck. Face it, Fortune isn't a CL quality winger.
 

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Joined
·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Simba said:
it's all if's and but's, there's no saying we would have gotten an easy draw if we finished top - may well still have stumbled there!

To win the champions league you need a team that is at or very close to its peak, a bit (or a lot.. mourinho) of luck when it matters, and a real desire/belief you can win it.

Of course finishing top of the group offers the incentive of facing a 'weaker' opponent but it doesn't always work that way.

If it wasn't for Scholes disallowed goal against Porto we'd have beaten, who then became the eventual winners - does that mean we should have won it last season?

I don't think so, I think it's won on merit. You've got to beat any team, at any stage in the comp to be the best. That's just my opinion of course :)

you need luck for sure, you need the team to play well, but you have to give yourself the best possible chance and Fergie didn't do this.

he took his eye off the ball big time when you consider he would have fancied his chances against this years Real Madrid, i think the only team he would have been worried about of the 2nd placers was Barcelona and Munich, of the 1st placers he had 60% chance of drawing an Italian side.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,200 Posts
YeaVerily said:
I don't really think we could win the CL with this team even if we drew PSV and Inter, unless we had ALOT of luck. Face it, Fortune isn't a CL quality winger.
I can name 10 Psv and Inter players who get in there 11 who arent Cl Quality, so dont get on Fortune's back, atleast he puts a fight in, Ronaldo does **** all without the ball. Fortune runs his bollox of to get it back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,433 Posts
i like fortune he may not b the best player in the world but he always tries his hardest. I hate these glory hunters that dont have a clue and always talk about the "stars" wen they dont even notice the hard work other players put in.
U cant win the champions league without playin the big teams, that is y fergie didnt care if we came 2nd or 1st in the group as long as we qualify frm the group stages.
 

·
International
Joined
·
9,526 Posts
quite right five M. Cihan007, stop talking out your ar$e. Fergie IS united. Without him we'd be nothing. Don't get complacent. We haven't got a divine right to winning everything.

Hindsight is a great thing. Disappointing to go out, but to a team of Milan's calibre, its not so embarassing. If ever we learned the value of a solid defence and a well organised midfield, then it was over those two legs. Hopefully, the team did learn a few lessons. We certainly did when we were dispatched by Juve all those years ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,433 Posts
Cihan007x said:
Ferguson is a ****ing t***

this guy is 1 of those glory hunter fans who dont care about players, only want 2 see stars play, if united cum upon some hard times will stop buyin their shirts and completly ignore them and not have fukin clue about the club or football in general. :thmbdown:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Pumba said:
this guy is 1 of those glory hunter fans who dont care about players, only want 2 see stars play, if united cum upon some hard times will stop buyin their shirts and completly ignore them and not have fukin clue about the club or football in general. :thmbdown:
He called Fergie a twat? :thmbdown: :howler:

He's the only person on my ignore list. He's the biggest plastic supporter I've ever encountered. He really hasn't got a clue.

Hopefully he'll be supporting Chelsea next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,634 Posts
Stretford said:
He called Fergie a twat? :thmbdown: :howler:

He's the only person on my ignore list. He's the biggest plastic supporter I've ever encountered. He really hasn't got a clue.

Hopefully he'll be supporting Chelsea next year.
lol:D
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top