Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unquestionably the biggest footballing nation, I was wondering if the national team ever employed a foreign coach. Could that happen or is it completely out of the question? Obviously in all of Brazil there are enough candidates to choose from but would it be some kind of insult to hire a foreign coach?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well i think in Brazil we have plenty of good coaches, but i would like to see one day a great foreign coach take over the Seleçao. I mean, who could be more boring and tactical than Parreira??

·
Registered
798 Posts
Palmeiras represented Brazil en masse when facing Uruguay at the opening of the Mineirao in September 1965. Plameiras' coach was a foreigner and he managed Brazil that day, so, yes, just the once.

NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN NEVER AGAIN

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Well, the Brazilian managers would probably take it as an insult, even if the fans didn't mind. But I do believe that many fans would mind. Y'see, there's an intense cultural rejection over here against coaches who "betray the Brazilian style" – a vague accusation that (inevitably) would begin to be hurled against this hypothethical foreign coach as soon as he landed on the airport. :undecide:

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well alright but if he did obey the "style" would he be accepted? No doubt you remember the discontent in England when Eriksson was appointed, as if they didn't have a good enough coach of their own, they had to import one. Would similar voices be heard in Brazil or are the people happy as long as Brazil wins [in proper "style"]?

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
Well, I think that these kind of voices would be heard in any decent footballing country the first time they were about to hire a foreign coach, Brazil being no exception here.

·
Registered
390 Posts
numerodix i think garrincha pretty much nailed it but u must remember that if if the best coach in the world was appointed there would be those who oppose him here... no coach here has unanimous support and i believe it would be even harder for a foreigner to achieve it... hell even parreira n felipao have many critics even tho they won a WC... the only brasilian coach who has uninamous support is probably bernardinho (the coach of the volley NT)...
would be interesting to see a foreign coach tho...

falou

·
Registered
390 Posts
also i dont think brasil is ready for a foreign coach... the thing bout england hiring sven was that they needed a change, the way things were was not workin... they were gettin nowhere with that coach, n i think they had jus lost to germany in the WCQ, they needed change.. and i think brasil is still some failure away before a foreign coach would be accepted...

falou

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Heh. I keep remembering when Scolari was the coach and he didn't call Romario, ignoring the public pressure... then one day, he was leaving CBF after a meeting with the technical staff when he was greeted by a mob outdoors. :dazed: With the help of CBF's security guards the coach made it through the mob and inside his car – but once Felipão was in the car, the mob surrounded it and began pushing from all sides, shaking the car like a cocktail-maker and screaming "ROMARIO, ROMARIO, ROMARIO!" :eekani: But it wasn't enough to "convince" Scolari, and Romario was never called again.

I can just imagine a foreign coach going through this kind of pressure. The guy would go directly to the airport and never look back! :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
exactly! n that was a CORRECT decision made by felipao (even tho romario is the man, he didnt really have a place in that squad), sometimes the fans in brasil think wit their heart instead of head waaaay too often n leads to this type of thing...

falou

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
a little beyond, the National team here is really the only wide open national symbol. A foreging coach would just hurt the sense of nacionality of most people.

There is also the simple point that we are not behind anyone in coaching stuff, so there will be always someone from here that will do the job as good as anyone else from Germany, Argentina, etc. So, it is just easy to not have them.

Although our football development owns so much to Hungarians and Uruguaians coaches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts