Xtratime Community banner

381 - 392 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
No matter who they get:

1. They are stuck with a young and inexperienced backline.
2. They are stuck with a slow and under performing striker. Anyone remember the last time Jorgensen scored a goal? Or played two matches in a row, for that matter?
3. They have no natural leader in the squad. The captain (Botteghin) is an old, slow defender who makes mistakes that give up goals. Is that inspiring? Missing is the van Persie or Kuyt type leader who would lead by scoring goals and inspiring the teammates.
4. They are missing a shutdown defensive midfielder who could provide cover for the inexperienced backline. Fer shows his age and lack of playing time due to injuries in England. Tapia is inconsistent and is probably better going forward. They never really did replace El Ahmadi. It is too bad they didn't keep Ruud Vormer around long enough.

Nope. This season is toast. It will be successful if we can avoid relegation.

It might be best if they play Wout Burger, Bannis, Kokcu, and Geertruida more often so that they can build for next season.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
The papers write that it's going to be Dick Advocaat in charge with his usual assistant Cor Pot being taken along and club icon John de Wolf to be assistant too just to please the fans.

Jean Paul van Gastel, Roy Makaay, Denny Landzaat and Said Bakkati will be given new roles at Varkenoord or be released.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Confirmed. Advocaat it is.

I'm not quite as pessimistic about the material as Teak, as many of these players have played much better under different management. I do agree our striker situation is abysmal. And it's so true there was never a proper attempt at replacing El Ahmadi. There seemed to have been a hope that Vilhena would have morphed into that type of a player, but that was never going to happen. But there also wasn't any serious attempt at reorganizing the midfield - the midfield hasn't looked great since El Ahmadi departed. I think that has been and remains the biggest problem. I kind of thought with these new acquisitions and by bringing Tapia into the line up they could improve, but Stam's made everything much worse, with arguably better players than last year. Tapia has been really good in national team every time I've seen him. We'll see what happens now.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I thought that Advocaat was asked in the summer or last spring and turned it down?

Well, he might be better than Stam but we need a striker who can play more than one game in a row and can score goals.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Yeah, Dick turned the job down last season. He reckoned the fans didn't want him. Well, they're now desperate to have anyone who can give some solidness to the team and that's what Dick will do.

Based on the first training, we're going to need to have to play 2 proper holding midfielders. Leroy won't be allowed to fall asleep as Jan-Arie has returned from the dead to play alongside Botteghin at the back.

Vermeer - Karsdorp, Botteghin, Jan-Arie, Haps - Fer, Toornstra, Kokcu - Berghuis, Jorgensen, Sinisterra

was "the first team" during Dick's first training session

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #388
Frank Arnesen will join in January. A relief as Sjaak Troost just did whatever.

Pieter Smorenburg is the new financial director. We didn't have any after Onno Jacobs got chased away.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
BMW is likely to be our new shirt sponsor for the next 4 seasons :D

That's a bit more upmarket than Boudewijn Poelmann's Qurrent or Droomparken.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Yeah, I had to look up what Droomparken was about. And Qurrent. But BMW is well known, eh?

ESPN+ has become a ghost town what with all sporting events cancelled. A replay of the PSV-Feyenoord match is still on the queue showing how they have nothing new to post.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
Yeah, have you got yourself to cancelling your sports channels subscriptions? I still haven't, but rationally I might as well till the end of May or something.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
ESPN+ is only $5 a month so not worth cancelling. They are still carrying some Australian A League matches that weren't shut down until this weekend. And ESPN+ is starting to show sporting events that happened several years ago, so I might watch, for example, Duke-Kentucky basketball from 2016 since I don't know who won anyway. :0

381 - 392 of 392 Posts