Xtratime Community banner

341 - 360 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
VI speculation: van Geel out, already not involved in the discussions for next season.

Bigger role for Advocaat :D

Doubters say that Advocaat doesn't usually play a lot of youth, but will we have any other choice but to do so?
Kongolo might fetch 6-10 million euros. Van Beek if he does well.

Other than that, if they aren't sold, we'd have to rely on cheap buys (1-2m instead of 3,5m for Toornstra or Vejinovic), freebies or playing the kids.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Well, we are stacked at midfield: Toornstra, Vilhena, El-Ahmadi, Vejinovic, Gustafson, and Tapia have all had signficant playing time this season. I can't see all of them hanging around if they don't see the starting lineup in their future.

I would like to see a better striker for next season: someone more in the mold of Guidetti or Pelle, who could hold up the ball and bring teammates into play.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I'd be happy to see him leave, though of course it's always possible someone worse will be appointed in his stead. I'm not sure if Advocaat would be better or worse - probably not worse?

And I'm with Teak on the striker thing - I'd very much like to a more involved striker. Kramer can stay as a super-sub - he might even be a very good one - but I'm not sure if that's what he wants. And that also leaves little room for our juniors to break into the team. But then again, not sure if there are any strikers coming through the ranks either, as Jari Schuurman is a 10 right? Also agree about midfield, we could offload some dead (and not so dead) wood there. I'd retain Karim and Gustaf at least, then see about the others. I think Tapia looks like he might have potential to be a proper central midfielder, but Vejinovic lacks urgency, and Vilhena lacks vision for that position. Vilhena's been talking about going to places, so maybe he should be sold. Toornstra...benchwarmer, yeah, ok maybe, if there are no promising guys coming through the ranks.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Patrick Lodewijks has joined Koeman's Everton.

Good luck to him. Move to a bigger league and he did well here.

Everton are still in the market for a goalie though. Flapper Howard was number two for the second half of the season, while fans apparently aren't impressed by Joel Robles.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Joel has been terrible from what i've seen and Howard has signed for the Colorado Rapids back in the MLS

They are linked to Cillessen and Krul but i'm not sure if that's just lazy journalism. Sneijder too i just read.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
I forgot to mention, but Van Bronckhorst signed a 2 year extension to his contract (summer of 2019). It was going to expire in the summer.

The club offered it earlier than expected, as some members of the Raad van Commissarissen apparently wanted to wait.

Will it now go all wrong starting with tomorrow night lol?

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #347

:proud: :proud:

Gudde to leave as a champ on Nov 30. Ten years at the club and yeah, while people expected him to deliver a new stadium just like that because of his connections with local politics, I thought he was a decent guy.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I saw a news blurb in Dutch and I think that the gist of it was that a German club was trying to get Gio as their new manager. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
I saw a news blurb in Dutch and I think that the gist of it was that a German club was trying to get Gio as their new manager. Any truth to that?
Nah, it looks like Peter Bosz will in fact become Borussia Dortmund's new manager. 3,5m a year wage and Ajax look set to receive 5m euros IIRC.

Bosz hasn't won anything yet, but he does make his sides play attacking football as he isn't afraid to take risks.
He's not a too likeable character though. Comes across as sleazy and bullied Tomek Iwan in his time at Feyenoord.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
Jan Wouters is going to leave the club at the end of the season. Van Geel has decided to not extend his contract. He thinks that the coaching staff needs fresh impetus.

No new name has yet been mentioned.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Ok, a name has been suggested by the AD's Mikos Gouka. It's van Geel's fav Denny Landzaat :D

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
AZ apparently don't want to let go of Landzaat. Maurice Steijn, VVV's manager, has also turned down the job.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
He was one of Van Bronckhorst's assistants.

Van Gastel is the other assistant.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
This will be Van Bronckhorst's last season in charge. He has confirmed that he will leave.

Probably a good time to announce it IMO. This hopefully will motivate everyone to give one last push.
I think most fans will agree that van Bronckhorst's decision to call it a day was the right one. He's done well trophywise, but at the same time, we lacked a recognizable playing style. It also doesn't help this season that we have a very average LB, Jan-Arie vd Heijden for how many years now? and some more pretty average players. Tbh I wouldn't pay Southampton more than 2m for the current Clasie. I'd also give Ayoub more of a chance to give Clasie a run for his money. There should be no Gods at Feyenoord.

Wonder if van Geel will step down too. We know what we'll get with him (sell our youth players for good money and buy the midtable's best players for overinflated prices who then flop). There's obviously a chance we might get a clueless lunatic as van Geel offers some kind of stability, but we'll never become a great selling club with him in charge.

For the manager's job, I hope we get Leonid Slutsky

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
Dick Advocaat is said to be van Geel's favourite to take over from van Bronckhorst in the summer.

Van Bronckhorst to go out with 5 trophies and a 6-2 win Feyenoord fans will be talking about for years. Cup game against Ajax in 4 weeks time btw!

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
Dick Advocaat turned us down :D

so van Geel is at a loss of what to do.

Henk Fraser, Maurice Steyn, Philip Cocu or will it be Belgian Hein Vanhaezebrouck?

I don't really know the Belgian guy, but I can't say I'm really that enthusiastic about the first three.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Same. Even with van Bronkhorst's misgivings, I can't think of a manager available to us who would be better. Cocu managed to achieve some good things with PSV so who knows. I fear an AC Milan like catastrophic gamble like convincing Dirk Kuyt to take over as a complete rookie and destroy both his potential managing career and our season.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
PEC's Jaap Stam is said to be our new main candidate. That'd be a brief stay at PEC. He's still a relatively young manager. He got to the Championship play-offs in his first season with Reading, but then had a tougher time with them after that. Also started like a house on fire at PEC, but the form has dropped of late. Feyenoord would of course be his first real big job. Ok, no realistic immediate title contenders, but a side which should finished 3rd looking at the squad and finances.

341 - 360 of 392 Posts