Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Udinese and Italy striker Antonio Di Natale has announced he will retire at the end of the season.

“The decision has already been made,” he told Sky Sport Italia.

“I talked it over with my family and my agent, so I’ve decided this is my last campaign. It all ends in June.”

Speaking after a 3-1 home defeat to Verona, Di Natale also confessed to feeling bitter at recent criticism.

“It does hurt, because I’ve scored more goals for Udinese than I’ve gone out for dinner with my wife. I care about Udinese, as this club is like my family.”

Di Natale turned 36 in October and has been at the Stadio Friuli since July 2004.

In 359 games in all competition, he has scored 182 goals for Udinese. The hitman also found the net 11 times in 42 caps for Italy.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
legend?

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Of course.

If he played for one of the big clubs he would be seen as a legend by those fans by the way he has carried his team so much with his goals.

Or do you want to stick your nose up at him because he played for provincial Udine?

The guys a Serie A legend. End of :proud:

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
162 goals for little Udine. 180 goals in total.

11th in the all time top goalscorers in Serie A just behind Batistuta.

He'll get into the top 10 all time top scorers in Serie A by the end of the season.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Sad to see him bow out but of course the time was due anytime soon&he's a true great a real bandiera:proud:.

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
Good decision by Di Natale to retire on a high. His deterioration clearly accelerated this season, and it's the right time to call it quits. I don't know if this is official though. Guidolin said he will attempt to change Toto's mind and that the player might be distraught over recent results.

Under no stretch of the imagination was ("was" because now, this season, he's past his prime) Di Natale ever a legend (unless by "legend" you're also alluding to his likable personality and loyalty) or a great footballer. And it's the first time I saw someone describing him as a big-club player. He transformed into a good CF, someone better than Hubner and Di Vaio, but worse than prime Luca Toni. Udinese's entire system has been based on servicing him. It was/is clear to see that he lacks the quality and that his output would drop as a starter for a bigger team as was the case with Italy.

Here's a prediction: 7 years later, there'll be another pirri harping about the legend of Di Natale because of his goals tally (and that'll be even more abhorrent because Di Natale was far worse than Signori).

·
Registered
16,825 Posts
Good decision by Di Natale to retire on a high. His deterioration clearly accelerated this season, and it's the right time to call it quits. I don't know if this is official though. Guidolin said he will attempt to change Toto's mind and that the player might be distraught over recent results.

Under no stretch of the imagination was ("was" because now, this season, he's past his prime) Di Natale ever a legend (unless by "legend" you're also alluding to his likable personality and loyalty) or a great footballer. And it's the first time I saw someone describing him as a big-club player. He transformed into a good CF, someone better than Hubner and Di Vaio, but worse than prime Luca Toni. Udinese's entire system has been based on servicing him. It was/is clear to see that he lacks the quality and that his output would drop as a starter for a bigger team as was the case with Italy.

Here's a prediction: 7 years later, there'll be another pirri harping about the legend of Di Natale because of his goals tally (and that'll be even more abhorrent because Di Natale was far worse than Signori).
lacked the size to be main target man for italy but was able to score shit tons in serie a. maturin said he is a serie A legend, not a world history legend

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
lacked the size to be main target man for italy but was able to score shit tons in serie a. maturin said he is a serie A legend, not a world history legend
For someone to be a Serie-A legend, he has to be world-class or, at least, "great." Di Natale never was either. That was/is something instantaneously detectable when you watched/watch him play. It's, first and foremost, a matter of class, not height. And as aforementioned, he was able to score "shit tons" for a smaller Serie A side who based their entire tactics around him. Hubner and Di Viao scored a shit ton of goals too.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Don't listen to Pav.

He likes to argue with certain people just for the sake of it and adds quotes to people that they didn't say at all.

He also fancies himself as a bit of a football expert but falls down many times. Not always but enough :D

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Ok let's address some of Pav's incoherent ramblings here because they need to be corrected.

First of all he dismisses Di Natale as being a legend in Serie A because he is not very good this season. The guy is 36 yo so of course he will decline at that age but let's forget all about what he did in the past and just focus on a player past his prime in dismissing him. Ridiculous incoherent rambling.

Then we have one of Pav's classic characteristics which has already been said he puts quotes on people which they didn't say at all to back up his weak arguments. In this case that it was said he was a big club player. As everyone can see this wasn't said at all and why on earth would it be said that he is one when he hasn't played for a big club. Pav hallucinating again and showing his snobbery towards Di Natale by bringing up big clubs in the first place.

Then he is way off re: Di Natale's class. Di Natale had more class as a footballer than those other donkey target men he quotes but of course he incorrectly uses those donkey target men in his quest to discredit Di Natale. Di Natale was a classy striker. His finishing in around the penalty area was many times classy. To dismiss him as not being a classy player defies belief.

Then we have the nonsense about a team built around one player to discredit him. Does he not think that many of those all time top goalscorers in the past that he dare not criticise did not have the team play tailored around them as well for them to score such an amount of goals. In any case to have a team look to you and to cater to you in team play has it's own pressures on that player himself to deliver.

He then again shows his snobbery towards the player by saying he can't possibly be seen as a Serie A legend because he wasn't a hit with the Italian national side. It escapes him that international football and Serie A are different spheres of football.

In conclusion Pav is just another big club fan who is showing snobbery towards a provincial player. That's in addition to his incoherent ramblings ;

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Not gonna fact check the entire thing but, yeah, Pav did seem to pull that "And it's the first time I saw someone describing him as a big-club player" comment out of thin air.

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
Maturin, I can't believe you wasted that much time and effort on him.

Good post, I agree and Di Natale is a class player and a Serie A legend yes. Not the first or last who didn't play for 'big' teams and/or have massive success for Azzurri. By that logic neither Pulici or Pruzzo are Serie A legends, which they both are yet didn't play for the big 3 or do extremely anything of note with the NT.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Maturin, I can't believe you wasted that much time and effort on him.
:D Well there was quite a lot there to correct wasn't there. And we can only try to educate such people ;)

The one thing I can't believe he said was that Di Natale wasn't a classy player.

For anyone with even an ounce of understanding about the game and players to dismiss him as not being classy seems quite ludicrous.

His finishing was of course clinical but many times he would score with style as well. Precise placed finishes, finishes that were curled into top corners and so on.

I'm not surprised though that some of the fans of the big clubs would look down on him. In that sense Pav will not be the only one doing that.

·
Registered
40,294 Posts
Of course.

If he played for one of the big clubs he would be seen as a legend by those fans by the way he has carried his team so much with his goals.

Or do you want to stick your nose up at him because he played for provincial Udine?

The guys a Serie A legend. End of :proud:
agree, he's no doubt a serieA legend. i wished him to play one of the big teams to at least win some domestic trophies!

good luck to him.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Toto scored some real lovely goals down the years&surely could've gone to a bigger club but stayed very loyal to Udinese great to see:thumbsup:.For the NT was a bit of a shame that he didn't come through&do much better but anyway someone I've personally always liked to watch:smileani:.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts