Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From planetfootball.com

---

ANGELO DI LIVIO has handed Fiorentina a much-needed boost by declaring he is happy to stay at the club.

Despite Fiorentina's impending relegation to Serie B, Di Livio insists he is keen to remain at Artemio Franchi.

He is due to have talks with Viola owner Vittorio Cecchi Gori about his future but is prepared to commit himself to the club.

"I have read that the club want to confirm me for next season," said Di Livio. "I am happy with this. I want to continue my career here."

Di Livio also expressed his opinions on who should be handed the coaching reins at Fiorentina next term."

I know that the club is chasing Delio Rossi and Renzo Ulivieri. I think they are both good for our next season in Serie B."

Meanwhile, Viola midfielder Roberto Baronio has revealed he is unlikely to feature again this season as present coach Luciano Chairugi is ready to plunge in the club's youngsters for the closing fixtures.

---

As long as I am concerned you may add Di Livio to Viola legends.:tongue:

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Di Livio is happy to stay at Fiorentina, but I haven't heard of him turning down offers from anyone else. So it's not too hard for him to decide to stay with the team.

Fact is, he'll be 36 years old before next season starts, and there aren't too many teams that want him.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff you must remember that Di Livio is national team player (at least Trap thinks so) and there are plenty of teams wanting him.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
It would be easy to prove me wrong, if there is one other club that's willing to pay any more than a nominal fee for Di Livio...

Else why would Fiorentina keep him?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Di Livio reminds me of Fernando Hierro who is also 34 years old and about to retire after this season.

Planetfootball.com

REAL MADRID are upping their search to bring in a world-class defender to replace captain Fernando Hierro who is approaching the end of his illustrious career. <P>The 34-year-old has made over 400 appearances in his career at the Bernabeu, since joining from Valladolid back in 1989.
I am sure that in a team like Real you just aren't there playing football at the age of 34, if you don't have any special skills like leadership.

Ok, I am not comparing Fiorentina to Real, but there are some basic values in football in common to all teams at this level.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Don't get me wrong - I think Angelo's a great asset to Fiorentina (possibly its best asset at present). I'm thrilled he's sticking around.

All I'm saying is it doesn't take a whole lot of loyalty to stick with a team when your options are as limited as his seem to be.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Angelo Di Livio has warned Fiorentina that he will need to be convinced of their future plans if he is to remain.

The Viola captain’s future at the club is in doubt following their relegation from the top flight and has hinted that he may be forced to leave Tuscany.

"I’m heartbroken but without certain guarantees that we can fight for immediate promotion I don’t real feel that I can remain. I can’t suffer another year like this one and that is for sure," he said.

"I’ve given myself a bit of time in which I want to be made aware of what the club’s plans are and whether we can realistically fight for a place back in the top flight."

When asked what he thought of the proposed appointment of Bortolo Mutti as Coach, Di Livio said: "I’m not sure whether he will be the next Fiorentina Coach.

"People rate him highly and have good words for him. I personally don’t know him but my future is not linked to whether he arrives or not."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, not all the Viola players are ready to jump ship. Goalkeeper Pino Taglialatela has publicly asked to remain at the Artemio Franchi.

"I want to stay and I don’t mind being the first or second choice. I don’t even mind playing in Serie B so long as I am offered a long term deal," said the ex-Napoli hero.

"I don’t think I’ve had any other offers but that is not a problem for me. I want to give my all for this club and Serie B certainly holds no fear for me."

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Tag's used to playing in Serie B. He's just happy to get to play.

But obviously this Mutti guy cuts no ice with Di Livio. If hiring Mutti is the viola's grand secret master plan for returning to Serie A, then we can count on spending many years in Serie B.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Di Livio set for Asta role Tuesday 30 April, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angelo Di Livio has become an early contender to replace Antonino Asta on the right hand side of Torino’s midfield next season.

Club captain Asta is to leave the Delle Alpi this summer after he failed to reach agreement with the Delle Alpi outfit for a new contract.

And with Di Livio set to leave relegated Fiorentina this summer, the former Juventus favourite could end up back in Turin.

The Italian international would come relatively cheaply thanks to his 35-years-of-age even if that may prove to be a stumbling block with owner Franco Cimminelli not keen on acquiring veterans.

Meanwhile, Asta has spoken about his regrets of having to leave his beloved Toro at the end of this campaign.

"I’m very disappointed because staying here with Torino was something extremely important to me," he said.

"There is still a little chance of finding an agreement but our last meeting with the club leads me to believe that the club have other objectives.

"It now looks like we will take different paths as we want different things. I’m unhappy but this is football.

"My agent will now have to re-open negotiations with other clubs. Talks that I had told them to terminate because I was almost certain that I would stay at the Delle Alpi."

The winger, who won his first international cap earlier this season, now looks likely to move to the Premiership with a number of sides interested.

channel4

·
Registered
429 Posts
Angelo Di Livio has stated that he will take a wage cut, provided the hierarchy of Fiorentina follow suit as the race to save the club goes on.
Club captain Di Livio is the most recognizable figure for the Viola and has been a fierce competitor in a season of disappointment for the club.

Bankruptcy has been staved off once, but the inevitable relegation, brought about by a bout of terrible luck with injuries and the forced sale of top players, has again cast doubt on the club's future.

But Di Livio has suggested that the players will consider dropping their wages to help out - if things are done properly at the highest level.

"The club wants us to drop our wages and we will consider it, if everything is favorable," said Di Livio.

"But in this I mean that everybody should take a cut, the players and the staff.

"I do not think it is the right time to be talking about money, but if this is a problem then it can be discussed - as long as the provision interests all."

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI has named his Italian squad for the World Cup, and, as expected, there was no place for Roberto Baggio.

In a squad of few surprises, Trapattoni's only debatable inclusion was 36-year-old Angelo Di Livio, included for his versatility and experience.

Baggio has battled back to fitness and admitted it was dream to even be considered, but Trapattoni considers the mercurial star as too much of a risk - and is well aware that in Alessandro Del Piero and Francesco Totti has two world class stars who can do a similar job.

Former Everton man Marco Materazzi has made the 23, but the only none Italian-based player is Barcelona's on-loan defender Francesco Coco.

Goalkeepers: Buffon (Juventus), Toldo (Internazionale), Abbiati (Milan), Defenders: Nesta (Lazio), Cannavaro (Parma), Maldini (Milan), Materazzi (Inter), Iuliano (Juventus), Panucci (Roma), Coco (Barcelona)

Midfielders: Zambrotta (Juventus), Di Livio (Fiorentina), Di Biagio (Inter), Zanetti (Inter), Tommasi (Roma), Gattuso (Milan), Doni (Atalanta)

Forwards: Totti (Roma), Inzaghi (Milan), Del Piero (Juventus), Montella (Roma), Delvecchio (Roma), Vieri (Inter)

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Angelo Di Livio wasn't bad a couple of days ago when he played in that friendly between Italy and the Brazilian players playing in Italy. If he's becoming too old for international matches, he certainly doesn't show it, as he is running and doing more than what you expect from even a young player.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
From Onefootball.com

Di Livio wants to be Fiorentina director

Wednesday 8th May 2002

Fiorentina captain Angelo Di Livio has revealed that he would like to become a director of the club in the future - and even said he would take a pay cut if it would enable him to stay with the Viola. "Nobody can have any doubt but that my future lies in Florence," he said.

Fiorentina will play in Serie B next season after a disastrous campaign that saw the club teetering on the edge of bankruptcy and then being relegated.

"I spoke to my agent on Wednesday, and we'll soon have a meeting with president Ottavio Bianchi and sports director Giuseppe Pavone. If my salary is a problem for the club I will accept a lower one, because my only desire is to help Fiorentina.

"I would be satisfied if they extended my contract and reduced the salary, because that would enable me to play for a long time. In the future I would like to play for the club, which is now like a family to me.

"I don't want any speculation about my future. I would only leave if I had an offer from my city, Rome, but as yet Roma have not come calling."

Di Livio was a surprise choice for the Italy World Cup squad, but he admitted that making the trip to the Far East is little consolation for this season's relegation.

"I'm happy because it will give me back some of the enthusiasm that this season took from me, but I'm still disappointed about the relegation."

The future of the club remains in doubt, though, with owner Vittorio Cecchi Gori still facing charges of money-laundering and possession of cocaine.

"I will have a meeting with Cecchi Gori before I leave for Japan," Di Livio went on. "I have heard that he wants to help Fiorentina, and I have to believe him.

"The newspapers say that Eugenio Fascetti could be the new coach. I know him and I respect him, but I don't know if he's the right man."

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Similar story from Agence France Presse:

Fiorentina midfielder Angelo Di Livio, named in Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni's World Cup squad earlier Wednesday, is prepared to take a wage cut to stay with the Florence club.

Di Livio, selected ahead of Lazio's Stefano Fiore, has pressing problems to deal with as Fiorentina, already in financial crisis, has to further trim its outgoings after being relegated to the second division.

He says he is prepared to take a wage cut as long as he is given a two-year deal with a view to a career as a director when he retires, although financial watchdogs have recently raised doubts as to whether Fiorentina will be able to compete next season.

"Even if my wages are not as high as some people have said, I know it could be a problem for Fiorentina," said Di Livio, who is 35. "I would have no problem with taking a cut as my family and I are happy in Florence.

"All the same I would like to prolong my contract until 2004 because my aim is to play for two more seasons at a high level and I hope to succeed in doing that.

"Then I could carry on in a director's role," said the former Juventus player.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
congratulations and good luck to Angelo Di Livio for making the world cup squad.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
SA Exclusive: Di Livio Hasn't Signed With Roma Yet, Says Agent
News Archive

Di Livio happens to be a Roma fan (Allsport)
05/08/2002. Reports coming out of Italy in the past days had indicated Roma were tracking Fiorentina veteran Angelo Di Livio, who also happens to be part of the Azzurri 2002 World Cup selection.

But Di Livio's agent Fabio Parisi exclusively told SoccerAge sister site Rete.it that Roma have not tried to sign the 36 year old player.

"No one from the Roma management came looking for Angelo. I also believe Roma need to get rid of Fuser before they can sign Di Livio," Parisi told Rete.it

soccerage

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Little soldier ready to fight on Thursday 9 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angelo Di Livio has said he is ready to stay at Fiorentina and will even take a pay-cut to remain at the club.

Di Livio’s future has been in doubt ever since the club were relegated to Serie B. But the veteran midfielder is ready to continue fighting for the Viola cause.

"I want to extend my contract here and am ready to reduce my annual wage. It is my desire to stay and make up for this disappointing season," he said.

The former Juventus player, linked with moves to Roma and Torino, is ready to commit himself in a bid to land a director role once his playing days are over. "I would like to remain in football," he added.

The 35-year-old, nicknamed the ‘little soldier’, received good news yesterday when he was included in Giovanni Trapattoni’s World Cup squad.

"I’m delighted and very satisfied," he continued. "My call-up makes up for a below par campaign with Fiorentina this term."

channel4

·
Registered
480 Posts
Di Livio wants to be Fiorentina director

Fiorentina captain Angelo Di Livio has revealed that he would like to become a director of the club in the future - and even said he would take a pay cut if it would enable him to stay with the Viola. "Nobody can have any doubt but that my future lies in Florence," he said.

Fiorentina will play in Serie B next season after a disastrous campaign that saw the club teetering on the edge of bankruptcy and then being relegated.

"I spoke to my agent on Wednesday, and we'll soon have a meeting with president Ottavio Bianchi and sports director Giuseppe Pavone. If my salary is a problem for the club I will accept a lower one, because my only desire is to help Fiorentina.

"I would be satisfied if they extended my contract and reduced the salary, because that would enable me to play for a long time. In the future I would like to play for the club, which is now like a family to me.

"I don't want any speculation about my future. I would only leave if I had an offer from my city, Rome, but as yet Roma have not come calling."

Di Livio was a surprise choice for the Italy World Cup squad, but he admitted that making the trip to the Far East is little consolation for this season's relegation.

"I'm happy because it will give me back some of the enthusiasm that this season took from me, but I'm still disappointed about the relegation."

The future of the club remains in doubt, though, with owner Vittorio Cecchi Gori still facing charges of money-laundering and possession of cocaine.

"I will have a meeting with Cecchi Gori before I leave for Japan," Di Livio went on. "I have heard that he wants to help Fiorentina, and I have to believe him.

"The newspapers say that Eugenio Fascetti could be the new coach. I know him and I respect him, but I don't know if he's the right man."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts