Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
West Ham believe Di Canio wants to play for them, but he is in the Scottish papers every week asking for Celtic to buy him.
He says that if Celtic buy him back, he will help them beat Rangers.
He claims he only wants to play for Celtic.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Di Canio is one of the best Premier league players at the moment. See the game vs Coventry.

Good for Celtic if they can buy him.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
yeah i know thread bump :D but rather than create another thread.....

http://www.twitvid.com/RM5MH

Was grabbing his own player around the neck and tried to drag him down the tunnel. Bit of a scuffle in the tunnel and player came back out onto the pitch and sat with his head in his hands for a while then disappeared and has not been seen since.....

·
Registered
28,216 Posts
Was grabbing his own player around the neck and tried to drag him down the tunnel. Bit of a scuffle in the tunnel and player came back out onto the pitch and sat with his head in his hands for a while then disappeared and has not been seen since.....
Bit of a one-sided version.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
His fascist views seem to be coming back to haunt him:

NEW Sunderland boss Paolo di Canio faced a storm of fury last night.

The appointment of the self-declared fascist, 44, was branded “an insult”.

Thousands of Sunderland fans urged him to keep a lid on his extreme views while at the Stadium of Light.

They reckon his far right beliefs have no place in the Premier League.

But last night Di Canio came out fighting, branding racism allegations against him “stupid and ridiculous”.

He said some of his “best friends” were black, including former England stars Trevor Sinclair, 40, and Chris Powell, 43.

In a joint statement with the club issued last night on safc.com,

Di Canio said: “I don’t have a problem with anyone.

“Talk about racism? That is absolutely stupid, stupid and ridiculous.

“What can I say, if someone is hurt I am sorry.

“The people who know me can change that idea quickly.

“When I was in England my best friends were Trevor Sinclair and Chris Powell, the Charlton manager, they can tell you everything about my character.

“I don’t want to talk about politics because it’s not my area. I want to talk about sport.”

But yesterday 2,000 Sunderland fans blasted him on social networking sites, with many joining a Facebook group Sunderland Against Fascist Di Canio.

Meanwhile Unite Against Fascism’s Weyman Bennett said the appointment was “an insult” to Sunderland’s war dead who gave their lives fighting Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini.

The Wearside club also risked being left with egg on its face just days after signing a deal with the Nelson Mandela Foundation.

Players warmed up in T-shirts featuring the 94-year-old former South African president and anti- racism hero before Saturday’s 1-0 home defeat against Manchester United.

Yesterday, di Canio posed in a Sunderland scarf outside the club’s Academy of Light, ahead of meeting stars including Titus Bramble, 31, and Wes Brown, 33.

The furious fall-out comes after former Labour minister David Miliband, 47, whose family fl ed the Nazi Holocaust, quit his vice-chairman role over di Canio’s appointment

The former Swindon boss triggered anger in 2005 while playing for Italian club Lazio by giving the crowd a fascist- style salute after beating deadly rivals Roma.

He celebrated with the same controversial gesture in other games but defended it by claiming it was “a Roman salute”, declaring: “I am a fascist, not a racist.”

Di Canio added: “With this stiff arm I do not want to incite violence or racial hatred.”

Yesterday, Mr Bennett said: “If he wants to be a manager and wants to be a public figure, he needs to make it clear he accepts these views are completely inappropriate. Football has made great strides in opposing fascism.”

Sunderland City Council deputy leader Henry Trueman said “extremism is the last thing we need in football”.

And Piara Powar, of Football Against Racism in Europe, called on the ex-West Ham striker to “renounce his fascist views”.

He said di Canio’s infamous “Roman salute” had also been used by Hitler and far-right nuts.

Mr Powar said Lazio fans used the same sick gesture while making monkey noises to abuse black players.

Supporters’ groups warned they would boycott games if di Canio made any fascist comments while managing the club.

Stan Simpson, a season ticket-holder for 40 years, said: “If he expresses those sort of opinions while he’s there, he should be sacked. It’s not acceptable in this country.”

But Paul Maughan, 27, of Tyne and Wear, said Sunderland fans would not care about di Canio’s past so long as he kept them in the Premier League.

“Generally speaking I don’t think people care too much,” he said.

“He says he’s a fascist, not a racist.

I’m not wholly aware of the difference but he’s worked with black players all his career so it can’t be that much of a problem.”

Former Italy under-21 international di Canio replaces Martin O’Neill, 61, who was sacked following Saturday’s loss

·
Registered
59,175 Posts
I'm more worried about him pushing a ref again.

Sunderland are so bad going forward so he's bound to explode on the touchline.

I doubt that he'll say anything political in the next few months.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Good luck to him. Always liked Di Canio, great player. Will be interesting to see how he develops in managerial terms, he'll have to reign in his temper a bit though because he wont be able to act like he did at Swindon. A more diplomatic measured approach will have to be used at times. I wonder if he's up to that seeing how he's such an emotional character.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
I think Di Canio is an idiot who holds deeply unpleasant political views. But that's not enough of a reason to stop him from getting a job as a football manager, his politics, his admiration for Mussolini, nothing to do with his ability as a manager.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Exactly and to an extent to the post of Filipe above, Di Canio is right in that he is a football manager, and his political views should not count in any interview. Unless he decides to drop players on a weekly basis due to their race (which I doubt he will do).

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Di Canio is right that fascist doesnt equal to racist too. Why people always take those shortcuts?
You got that a bit mixed up. He is the one that has been excusing himself of the accusations of being a fascist by saying that he is not a racist as some of his best friends in football are black. Nobody called him a racist, they just asked him if he goes on considering himself a fascist.

Football is not an island completely separated from society. It is completely understandable that people linked with Sunderland feel uncomfortable about having a person with his kind of political views as manager of their club. Besides, the way he behaved as a player and even as a coach show that his political views influence the way he performs his job.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Actually hasn't Di Canio said he is a fascist but not a racist in the past? When asked recently he is just stating he is not a racist. He is a fascist, but oh well, he is a football manager, not a prime minister or president of a nation.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Besides, the way he behaved as a player and even as a coach show that his political views influence the way he performs his job.
The fact that he is a short-tempered tosspot is what influences his performance his job, not his politics.

Di Canio is right that fascist doesnt equal to racist too. Why people always take those shortcuts?
Because among the core beliefs of fascism are extreme nationalism & ethnocentrism. Which are at the very least next door neighbours of racism.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
The fact that he is a short-tempered tosspot is what influences his performance his job, not his politics.
That said in his job performance really that bad? :stress:

He left Swindon (not because he was fascist) in a really good place. Promoted from League 2 and high up the League 1 table. Impressive enough to get him a job at a Premier League club.

As a footballer he had a very good career which involved spells at many famous clubs. He was an icon to most West Ham and Celtic fans. Obviously no need to mention Lazio, but then that may start riots in this thread.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
That said in his job performance really that bad? :stress:

He left Swindon (not because he was fascist) in a really good place. Promoted from League 2 and high up the League 1 table. Impressive enough to get him a job at a Premier League club.

As a footballer he had a very good career which involved spells at many famous clubs. He was an icon to most West Ham and Celtic fans. Obviously no need to mention Lazio, but then that may start riots in this thread.
More referring to the shenanigans that follow him around, like practically assaulting a player at Swindon, actually hitting a referee as a player & so forth. His actions hardly need to be stated, we all know he's a man who has a temper. But Filipe's suggestion he has a temper because he's a fascist shows as massive a lack of understanding of human behaviour as apparently the not-racist Paolo has about fascism.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
More referring to the shenanigans that follow him around, like practically assaulting a player at Swindon, actually hitting a referee as a player & so forth. His actions hardly need to be stated, we all know he's a man who has a temper. But Filipe's suggestion he has a temper because he's a fascist shows as massive a lack of understanding of human behaviour as apparently the not-racist Paolo has about fascism.
:D

1 - 20 of 108 Posts