Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I saw the photos I thought it had nothing to do with fascism/extreme right. But then I came across an article from Times saying that celebration led to an outbreak of racist graffiti and it explains how Di Canio was always an open admire of Mussolini, I´m might just as well post the article, it makes a link comparission between Dicanio and Mussolini

Di Canio and Mussolini, self-obsessed fascist bullies who let others do the fighting for them
By Martin Samuel

PAOLO DI CANIO is the new poster boy for the far right in Italy. His straight-arm salute after scoring for Lazio in the Rome derby has led to an outbreak of anti-Jewish graffiti in the capital and fascist banners at football grounds. Clearly, his long-standing and welldocumented admiration for Benito Mussolini, the fascist leader, makes him the logical choice for football’s new generation of black shirts. After all, Paolo and the Lazio-supporting Benito have so much in common.
Like Di Canio, Mussolini was a preening, self-obsessed bully and the consequences of his ultimately disastrous actions outweighed even his greatest achievements. Neither had much appetite for a real battle, preferring to let others fight for them, while both had strong personalities that attracted misguided devotion among followers.

Mussolini was such a ham that he stage-managed the famous march on Rome, leaving the capital and returning once camera crews were in place to record the triumphant arrival of his fascists. Di Canio likes to give big speeches about loyalty and professionalism, while ducking the difficult games and talking up the achievements of the team as if they were his alone.

In 1935, Mussolini created the Italian empire by using poison gas to subdue the underdeveloped nation of Abyssinia (now Ethiopia). Fittingly, when the equally brave Di Canio played for West Ham United, he took part in four consecutive league matches away to Everton, right up until the season when they were fourth in the table, when he pulled out of the squad.

Mussolini declared war on France in June 1940, Germany having invaded in September 1939. Italy was so late getting involved that France had already surrendered before its army could engage in battle.

Meanwhile, Di Canio did not play in West Ham’s three matches away to Leeds United when the team were a force in the Premiership, yet he turned up in his fourth season once the exodus had begun from Elland Road.

The sole invasion attempted by Mussolini during the Second World War was of Greece. The Italian army was so badly defeated that Germany had to divert troops to help. Digressing slightly, over five seasons at West Ham, Di Canio played one league match away to Manchester United, one away to Arsenal and none away to Newcastle United.

By July 1943, Italy had lost all of its African colonies and most of its army. When the Allies invaded, it tried to switch sides. Fifty years later, Di Canio left his great love, Lazio, to join Juventus at the peak of his career. Now he has returned at the tail end, he seeks to evoke the club’s fascist past. What a charmer. Football can only hope that along the Via del Corso there is a lamppost with his name on it.
I don´t think the player should be punished as I´m for free speach, but didn´t Fifa prohibited any political expression from the players while celebrating?

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
Martin Samuel knows jack shit about Italy, Italian football, Rome, Lazio, Mussolini, WW2, or Mussolini.
Apart from that, he's not a bad journo.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Care to explain why he knows nothing about Italian football?

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Maybe because it is an English Journalist, reporting to a English newspaper. Some one like Marcotti or Ricchi may of been a better source as they are Italian journs dealing in Italian football.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so maybe could you point out what mistakes he made that a italian jornalist would not? I just think he made a interesting parallel, between how in the days of fascism the masses were used and how Di Canio does it in a much smaller scale.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
start from "Lazio-supporting Benito" ;)

if it was up to him, Lazio wouldnt have existed....

Otherwise, they are the same...

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts

This is much worse than Luis Aragones' dumb words. Waiting for the mother****er of Blatter to open his damn mouth.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Liternit said:
so maybe could you point out what mistakes he made that a italian jornalist would not? I just think he made a interesting parallel, between how in the days of fascism the masses were used and how Di Canio does it in a much smaller scale.

Actually... that parallel isn't made in the article (only says that Di Canio is a natural fascist icon due to his alledged support for Mussolini, which is bending Di Canio's words on the matter quite a bit, although I do not dispute that it's likely to hold water). You're the one doing that parallel Liternit, and in doing so you've written a better piece than Martin Samuel.

I can't stand Di Canio, but this article is nothing but specious crap. Sensationally poor journalism that only wants to enforce an already present, negative opinion of Di Canio on the authors part.

That said- I think Interista's argumentation was extremely poor as well. As if one has to be a citizen of a country to write about issues connoted to same country.... meh... :rolleyes: .

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I wouldn't take much notice of Marcotti either if he decides to write a piece, he wrote Di Canio's book and is a clear bum chum. :shades:

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Glen said:
That said- I think Interista's argumentation was extremely poor as well. As if one has to be a citizen of a country to write about issues connoted to same country.... meh... :rolleyes: .
I was refering to the fact that the Italians would take a slight different approach to the whole indicent than the English, they might not think so much of the whole situation

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
Liternit said:
Care to explain why he knows nothing about Italian football?
He's not interested in Italian football, and he never will be.
I should qualify my description of him as 'not a bad journo': He is an ignorant, educationally-subnormal retard who knows about English politics, English football and little else; most of his comrades cannot even claim a knowledge of English football.
He's not even the dumbest at The Times - because Gabby Logan writes for them.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glen

while both had strong personalities that attracted misguided devotion among followers.
thats what I was talking about, Mussolini was great at marketing himself (like all dictators) then the author goes on and on about how they could not hold up to their speech, of course comparing a mega dictator to a old football player is sensationalism, but it works well to bash a stupid man.

aca said:
start from "Lazio-supporting Benito" ;)
you mean there would be no Lazio without Benito? Or I got it wrong?

Back to the topic, did Fifa say anything?

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Attila_the_Nun said:
He's not interested in Italian football, and he never will be.
I should qualify my description of him as 'not a bad journo': He is an ignorant, educationally-subnormal retard who knows about English politics, English football and little else; most of his comrades cannot even claim a knowledge of English football.
He's not even the dumbest at The Times - because Gabby Logan writes for them.
you keep saying he is a dumb mother ****er, but care to knock whats so wrong in saying Di Canio is the new poster boy of fascism? Or course comparing the wars fought by Benito to the life of Di Canio is a huge stretch, but thats what he wants after all its a column not a newspiece.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
What an awful article. Seems incredibley presumptuous to me.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
What an awful article. Seems incredibley presumptuous to me.

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
Liternit said:
you keep saying he is a dumb mother ****er, but care to knock whats so wrong in saying Di Canio is the new poster boy of fascism? Or course comparing the wars fought by Benito to the life of Di Canio is a huge stretch, but thats what he wants after all its a column not a newspiece.
He's been asked at the last minute to comment on Di Canio, and the panicking little retard hastily cobbled together a Janet & John paragraph on Mussolini with desperate attempts to find parallels with the career of Di Canio.
The article is pointless drivel, but Samuels would not be capable of adding anything new or constructive to the issue.
What made you think it worthy of reproducing on here?

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if the article is bad your rebuttal is just as aweful, I simply posted this article because it was on the front page of todays newspaper here in São Paulo and I found it interesting how people were not talking about at XT when this has been in the media.

Also the link to Benito is logical, the salute was a symbol of his times.

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
I's suggest it's because there is little to talk about, other than a freeze-frame of Paolo Di Canio with his arm extended.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
indeed Di Canio´s arm extended is very little to talk about, it has no symbology, probably as meaningless as a player showing a swastica tshirt under his jersey during celebration :D hehehe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts