Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Di Biagio eyes Azzurri recall Tuesday 13 January, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gigi Di Biagio is dreaming of a return to the Italian side after his impressive displays in defence for Brescia.

"I have to admit that I do think about the Azzurri," said the 32-year-old. "It would be a dream to return. Giovanni Trapattoni knows that he can call me if I¡¦m needed."

The former Inter midfielder has been in great form recently after he was converted to a stopper.

Di Biagio was first asked to star in defence against Udinese in Week 11 and boss Gianni De Biasi has continued with the ploy after his excellent performances.

"I¡¦m more than satisfied with how things are going," added the Roman. "Especially because the side have done well since my switch.

"I believe that I can still do well and I¡¦m looking to maintain the progress which I have shown in recent weeks."

Di Biagio, who scored in the 1-0 win at Lazio on Sunday, hasn¡¦t featured for the national side for some time.

His last appearance was in November 2002 in the 1-1 draw with Turkey. He¡¦s won 31 caps and scored two goals for Italy.

Trap may be considering calling up Di Biagio as a defender especially with Juventus¡¦ Nicola Legrottaglie struggling for form and the injury problems with Inter¡¦s Marco Materazzi.

channel4

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
He has been playing well in defence Ive heard, but I wouldnt call him for that position!!!

If Legrottaglie and Matterazzi couldnt go then Id call Bertotto or Bonera even ahead of Di Biagio for this position. As long as Nesta and Cannavaro stay fit and unsuspended (unlikely) through out the tournament we should be ok. Ferrari and Legro will be the backs up in the end as well!!!!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Di Biagio is great as adefender...far better the bonera and bertotto who quite frankly are a disgrace to italian football

BONERA he is slow not that strong ....not much stamina, gets tired to quick in every match...looks annoying..always pulls players shirts...

how do our youth setups get guys like this in the big time?

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I remember watching Di Biagio v Ipswich in the UEFA cup as a defender 2/3 years ago!

And quite frankly, Alun Armstrong gave DI Biahio a tough time in the 1st leg :eek:

He may have improved since then but he is not NT material as a defender!

Bonera has not only got through the youth system, he is wanted by Milan and Juve, I mean this suggests a player cant be bad as some people suggest! Ive only ever seen Bonera at RB and that is obviously not his correct position as he isnt good going forward.

Unfortunately after Matterazzi and Legro gets injured 6th choice and beyond will be out of Iuliano and Adani anyway, Trap will probably pick Adani from his Fiorentina days!

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
pirri said:
BONERA he is slow not that strong ....not much stamina, gets tired to quick in every match...looks annoying..always pulls players shirts...

how do our youth setups get guys like this in the big time?
:D Very true...:thumbsup: but...Bonera can be worked on to improve his game...:)

I don't like him...but he does have quite good RB qualities to him and he helps a lot in Parma offensive play with his long-balls to the forwards. :)

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
Convoking Di Biagio would be a backward step, besides we have Ferrari to cover Nesta and Cannavaro.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Deano said:
I remember watching Di Biagio v Ipswich in the UEFA cup as a defender 2/3 years ago!

And quite frankly, Alun Armstrong gave DI Biahio a tough time in the 1st leg :eek:

He may have improved since then but he is not NT material as a defender!

yeah i saw that game to,

and in the second leg, vieri scored a hat trick !!

and in the first leg, i remember J. ZANETTI doing a number, holding the ball for 30 seconds in a square metre with an opponent on his back :)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
De Biasi offers Trap advice Sunday 1 February, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brescia boss Gianni De Biasi believes that Gigi Di Biagio, who excelled against Roma last night, deserves an Azzurri recall.

The former Giallorossi man (pictured) has been in hot form of late since he was switched from central midfield to central defence.

"Di Biagio has been playing well for some time now," said the Coach after the 1-0 win over the capital giants. "He could be useful for Giovanni Trapattoni."

Di Biagio, 36, was superb at the Rigamonti on Saturday as his organised side dented his former club¡¦s Scudetto hopes.

"I¡¦m delighted with my performance and that of my teammates," said the player. "We were up against a really good team.

"We knew that we had to try to contain them and hit them on the break. Fortunately it worked."

The victory was even more impressive given the fact that Brescia were without their star man Roberto Baggio.

"We¡¦ve once more demonstrated that if we all play as a team then we can collect some great results," stated boss De Biasi.

"It was our aim to keep compact and short which we hoped would give them little space to do what they do so well."

channel4

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Di Biagio was incredible against Roma. He was MoM.

I can't say because I haven't been following him regularly, but I guess Italy has so many great defenders that it doesn't make much sense to pick a 32-year old for a position that he only started to play in the last couple of months.

Look to the defenders at the small teams: Natali, from Bologna, is a good example of a very underrated CB.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
is this a joke?? let him play well for brescia and leave it at that! i could imagine in the euro Di Biagio playing in defence and lining up on henry or raul:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i still think that if legrottaglie had a decent centre back partnered with him, he would be more than capable on bench for italy. materazzi is like a fortune cookie, you dont know what to expect, whether its a very good game or a game which sees him fly kick the opposition in the head.:D

nesta, cannavaro, legro, ferrari are all good enough.

·
Registered
45,474 Posts
Di Biagio no. He is good for Brescia (and not always) but he is not NT material, above all as a defender. I would even pick center backs like Bertotto, Falcone and Castellini over him (and indeed I would leave them all home).

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
He's been fantastic for Brescia this season,But in regards to recalling him for the NT I'm not to sure about that.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Di Biagio in Trap plea Tuesday 3 February, 2004

Brescia¡¦s Gigi Di Biagio has asked Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni to give him a chance at Euro 2004.

The 32-year-old has been left out of the Azzurri set up for some time but there are calls for him to be included again after his transformation into a central defender.

"Italy are well covered in all areas but I¡¦ve always had a good relationship with Trap," he told the ¡¥Gazzetta dello Sport¡¦.

"I could give the team some versatility as I can play either as a defender or as a midfielder.

"To wear that Azzurri shirt again would be so gratifying. I dream of doing what Beppe Bergomi did at the 1998 World Cup."

Di Biagio was excellent in the 1-0 win over Roma on Saturday, highlighting that Inter were perhaps mistaken to have let him go in the summer.

"I wanted to demonstrate to people that I wasn¡¦t finished," he added. "And I must say that I feel great right now.

"There is less pressure here and with only one game a week it is a bit like a holiday for me. I do miss the Champions¡¦ League but we have more time to work at this club."

So what is the secret behind his impressive defensive performances? "Concentration is key," he said. "I¡¦ll be remaining focused until the end of the season."

channel4

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
nesta, canna, ferrari, matrix... no Legro, hes not that good as some of u people make him, hes an good defender thats all nothing speciall with him... and dont come here and say that Materazzi shouldnt be there, cuz Matrix is a great defender, if u have seen him play u know that, the only thing he lacks as a defender imo is that hes to slow

1 - 17 of 17 Posts