Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
©EMPICS

Tuesday 7th May 2002

France defender Marcel Desailly has admitted he hates facing Filippo Inzaghi because the Italy forward would rather dive than get involved in a physical battle.

"The strikers I least like marking are Inzaghi and Hernan Crespo," he said. "I don't like any players why try to escape physical combat. For me it's a need, especially during big competitions when the adrenaline is high.

"That man-to-man battle is what I want and if they try to run away from it, that really winds me up.

"I adore Christian Vieri, Gabriel Batistuta and Patrick Kluivert as they impose a physical presence. But Inzaghi goes off crying and cheating, while Crespo prefers to make himself discreet and stay on the verge of offside."

Desailly will marshal the France defence at the World Cup this summer as his country attempt to make it a hat-trick of major tournament wins.

And the Chelsea star, a losing FA Cup finalist at the weekend, added that he was still driven on by the tragic death of his brother.

"When I was at Nantes, I was a real fighter, a scrapper, but I soon understood that in football it had to stop after the intimidation stage," he explained.

"I always give the impression of being calm and serene, but sometimes it's just an illusion. I often have self-doubt and a kind of shyness. I've never really talked about it, but I used to have a complex about my physique.

"Maybe it's an unconscious reference to my older brother Seth, who I idolised. I think I've got over all that now, but I remember it very well," he added to L'Equipe.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
well desailly hope u are mebarrased this summer

pippo needs to teach u a lesson........arrogant frenchies...payman? ;) :D :tongue:

Lav

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
If it is an physical battle it probably mean s he has comitted an foul... So Desailly wants to grab Inzaghi and not get punished for it. Which in turn means he wants to cheat and get away with it...

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
**** Desailly!

If he doesn't like marking Inzaghi, then he should get someone else to do it.

Part of being a great marker is being able to exploit opponents strengths and weaknesses. Obviously Desailly can't find a way to defeat Inzaghi, because Inzaghi is too smart. Desailly is one of the strongest players in the world, so why try to take him on in a physical battle? Instead, Pippo finds other ways to get around him and now Desailly is pissed off.

Whining in public is a sign of defeat, Marcel.

;)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I still remember WC 98, how Cannavaro's head was heavily bandaged....well he even looked like a NINJA for God' sake!
It was clearly an intentional elbow by Guivarch....but he didn't even get a yellow card for that!
And later on Blanc was punching Moriero not to mention strangling him.
In my opinion, in the last 2 matches we faced France, they are the ones who cheats more by paying off the referee to turn the blindeyes, giving them extra time & those crap!

Man, how I want to face them again in the final next summer and kicking their @$$!!!!

G

·
jealousy, jealousy, how much stupidities can the people say in your name:D

pippo is a diver, it's a secret for nobody and desailly is one of the strongest defenders.

lili >>>>>:stuckup:

·
Premium Member
43,417 Posts
mdelpiero10 said:

Man, how I want to face them again in the final next summer and kicking their @$$!!!!
The whole world wants that man ... with their "bought" title in 98 and with all of their arogance Fr NT has become sconde Germany around the football world ... so sad for otheriwse so great players ... Now I wish Pippo to score in front of Desaily's nose a second before the end ... :fero:

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
bono74 said:

The whole world wants that man ... with their "bought" title in 98 and with all of their arogance Fr NT has become sconde Germany around the football world ... so sad for otheriwse so great players ... Now I wish Pippo to score in front of Desaily's nose a second before the end ... :fero:

Is this you Bono or someone else using your id???:eek::confused::tongue:
What you have said in here is not very nice and not something i would have expected from you Bono...:depress::eek::confused::fero:

So, you really need to explain or apologize what you meant in here man...;):D:tongue: or :fero::fero::mad:;):D:tongue:

·
Premium Member
43,417 Posts
Me:confused: What me :confused: :confused:

Common Payman, you know that the 98 cup was 40% Zizou 10%Ronaldo and 50 % Platini ... everyone knows that!! :D :tongue:

And it is also true that most of the french players have developped some very weird sense of arogance and their tifosi along them (I can recall one, at the moment :eek: ) ... and this Desaili's words are just small example ...

Unfortuanetly, Payman, unfortuanately but this is true ... ;)

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
What do you mean 50% Platini?:confused::tongue: As far as i know, Platini retired from playing in 1987, so he wasn't on the field...;):D:tongue:
Now, if you're insinuating "corruption" or something, that's wrong man!We won the cup, fair and square on the field, not under the table.

About the players getting arrogant, the only ones that ar a true disgrace for the NT are Leboeuf and Anelka. Other than that, all the others are pretty humble people. So, i don't see where you're getting this impression of the French players being arrogant or cocky or anything similar.:eek::confused: :) Believe me man, you must be mistaking the French fans with the other fans for their arrogance, I am speaking of first hand experience here bro...;):D

·
Premium Member
43,417 Posts
Cool, Payman ... don't get so excited! for whateva reason no one likes the French team so much , I don't know really why but even after winning the last two big things teams like Spain and Portugal have more fans around the world. Besides, you are not very popular even in France if I have to believe some of my friends who live there ... ;)

As for Platini ... well, lets say that if you look at your part of the draw till the final and then at the other one we could get a vague idea !!

You remind me a little (true story) of the former French Ambassador at Bulgaria who in 1999, i belive, resigned and publicly and quite bitterly said "You are not a Francophon country (weird Allegations made by our frm. President who served from 1992 to 1998) bacuse I was here in 98 and you did not celebrate our WC"

:howler: :howler: :howler:

No one did around the world as the whole football world was going for Brazil ... (exept for Montreal , may be) :D

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
(Not getting too much excited, by Bono's request)...:tongue::D

I don't know why we not liked...we have everything to be liked. I mean, we have a great team, that plays a positive football, not one where 11 players defend at the back, hoping for some lucky counter-attacks or waiting simply for the penalty kicks. We play hard to win, create lots of nice moves, scoring chances, right from minute 1 till the end of the game. So, i don't understand really, other than the "jealousy" and frustration factor after our team whipping the ass of the whole world....;):D:tongue::stuckup:;):D

As to why we have not as many fans as some other teams, well it is a well known fact that people have more sympathy towards the "challenger" or the "David" when facing "Goliath" or the big heavy favorites, so that may explain it as honestly, no one can objectively say that either of Spain or Portugal have a more attractive style than the French. Just watch the last France-Scotland and you'll see what i mean.

As to Bulgaria being a "francophone" country, didn't know it...;):D Seriously, i heard that there has always been a positive relationship between Bulgaria and France in general. Maybe that good relationship might have received somewhat of a blow, after Nov. 17th, 1993,:fero::fero::fero::mad:;) but besides this, we get along with you guys fine.:)

Nah, Montreal is filled with all those Ginos, aka wanna-be Italians, so i don't think they were cheering for us. However, in Toronto, all the Italians were cheeing France in the final of 98 because they wanted to see Brasil lose bad time...:tongue::howler:

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I will have to agree with Payman on this. IMO, France winning WC98 at home was the most magical things that can happen in football. And France deserve to win. Because it has a great setup. From the defense to attack, it has everything it needs to win. And it did. Most of the players were not controversial, the last being one Eric Cantona and David Ginola. And it proves that winning WC98 was no fluke by winning Euro2000. It was never the same as Germany winning 1990 or Brazil winning 1994 or Argies winning 1986. WC98 was one of the better WC in recent times, and with France winning, at least it restores the faith in me that "The best team wins" idea.:)

That is also the reason I can't understand how anyone does not like France.

paw;)

·
Premium Member
43,417 Posts
Paw, Paw ... don't get yourslef vcrried away so much ... you don't have to please Payman :D :tongue: ;) (just kidding)

First, France had a good team in 98 but not as good as you said ... first and foremost they had the worst attack ever ... at least the worst attack ever for a team that won the WC ... I still can't believe it! Ppl like Thuram and then Zizou with the head ( i think it was te last time he used his head :D ) had to score huge goals and the only important one to do it ... you remember forwards like Guivarsh, Dugary etc missing all alone in front of the goal thousands of times ... Zizou was actually not that good exept for these two goals ... he was not spectacular in the group then got that red card ans missed few games ... they played teams like , South Afrika, South Arabia, won by one against Paraguay, by penalties against Italy (and the least I can say that the game was 50/50) and the two goals of Thuram against the newbie Croatia ...

We all know that if Brazil were not that lucky on the semifinal the best team of that WC - Holland - could have played a different final ...

The final itself will remain as one of the biggest misteries of football ever!!!

As for Euro 2000 - France were simply the BEST team , played one of the best football I have ever seen but then were lucky enough with that ridiculous semfinal between Holland and Itlay (still can't forgive the italians the way they played then) not to face the other BIG team of this tournament and then were one minte away of losing the finlal to Delvecio ...

Going back to the WC98 - it was anything but clear how good France were ... they turn out to be a great team , I am not saying they are not, but in 98 ... well I said it ...

Still I think they are N1 favourite for this WC ... then comes Italy and Paolo ...

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Perhaps I could be a little biased, but surely the team of 98 combined experience and youth, plus they had the backbone of Barthez-Blanc-Deschamp-Zizou to shoulder the team. Even if they do not have the best attackers in the game, their midfielders made up for it with many goals, some important no less. In fact, none of the goals scored in the SF and final was scored by a French forward. The team of 2000 was better and now, the team of 2002 is probably the by-product of more than 10 years worth of French talents on display. And this golden era can go on for at least 2-4 years to come.

Back to the topic: It is not wrong for Desailly to say how he feels about Pippo. Though I am a Milan fan, I still think that he drops inside the box more often than most strikers do. I believe if Inzaghi do not perform some of his antics in the box, he can score more goals. Hopefully France will meet Italy in the Final and we can see how this battle goes. Desailly, like always, will be rock in the heart of France's team. Go Desailly. After all, he was a former Milan player.:)

paw;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts