Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sir Alex Ferguson is tracking Chelsea's World Cup winning defender Marcel Desailly for Manchester United - according to the player himself.
The 31-year-old French star would form an irresistible centre-back pairing with Dutchman Jaap Stam, and says United boss Ferguson has held talks with his agent.

Ferguson has been a long-time admirer of Spurs and England star Sol Campbell but Tottenham are confident of keeping him at White Hart Lane.

Desailly, playing for France against Japan in a Euro 2000 warm-up game on Sunday, admitted from his country's training camp in Morocco it would be "a dream" to play for United.

Desailly told French sports paper L'Equipe: "I'm aware of Alex Ferguson's intentions and I'm flattered. Who wouldn't dream of playing for Manchester United, even if eight other top European clubs are currently interested in me?

"For now I'm a Chelsea player and I intend to respect the club which employs me. As far as negotiations go, it's not only up to me, it concerns Chelsea and the other clubs and I'll be keeping a close watch on the situation.

"To say Manchester United is a priority for me would be a bit hasty because it's an offer, prestigious though it is, among many others that have come my way."

Meanwhile, Stam was upbeat about the possibility of playing alongside Desailly, saying: "If it happens, it would be a good thing. He's an experienced player who's already shown his value with Milan and Chelsea. It would be good to play together. What with him and Fabien Barthez, I'm going to have to start learning French!"

Desailly's agent Pape Diouf confirmed that United were interested in the Ghana-born defender.

"Alex Ferguson has indeed contacted me," he said, "Marcel is still under contract for two years with Chelsea and it's now up to them to say what they think."

United completed the £7.8million signing of French World Cup-winning goalkeeper Barthez from Monaco last week - a British record fee for a 'keeper.

------------------
Glory Glory MAN UTD
My MUFC Site : www.www.manutd.4ever.cc
My E-Mail : [email protected]

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Marcel Desailly is close to joining Manchester United just before Euro 2000. The Chelsea player is the new priority of Alex Ferguson after the recent signing of Fabian Barthez.

Pape Diouf, Desailly’s agent, confirmed that Manchester contacted him saying: “Alex Ferguson contacted me about Marcel Desailly. In fact, three years ago he confirmed his interest in Marcel. However, Marcel has got two years of his contract left at Chelsea so it’s up to Chelsea to decide whether or not Desailly can join Manchester. But Marcel is considered by Chelsea as a key part of the squad, and Colin Hutchinson is not the kind of person who will easily sell one of his most important players.”

Manchester’s proposition is so serious that Pape Diouf took the first flight to Morocco to join Desailly who is currently preparing for Euro 2000 with the French team in Casablanca. For four years, Alex Ferguson has followed the player and the Frenchman is with Ronaldo, Batistuta, Thuram, and Rivaldo, one of the players that United’s Scottish manager dreams of.

Desailly himself admits that he is the object of Ferguson’s desire: “I know that Alex Ferguson is interested in me. I am very flattered. Even if any other top European clubs are interested in me, who wouldn’t like to play for such a club as Manchester? I don’t want to say that Manchester is my priority - it is too soon to say it. For the moment it is one of the prestigious propositions I received.”

But Manchester is ready to make a huge offer to make its proposition the most attractive one.

------------------
Glory Glory MAN UTD

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chelsea’s Marcel Desailly’s switch to Manchester United has moved a step closer, with the player reportedly happy with the terms of a three year contract proposed by the Red Devils.

Desailly’s agent, Pape Diouf, who flew to Morocco to meet the player with Manchester’s offer in his suitcase, is now in England to try to convince Chelsea to let him go.

It seems therefore that United boss Alex Ferguson persuaded the French star to stay in England rather than join a Spanish or Italian side.

However, Ferguson won a battle but not the war. If the player is happy to move, it is another story to convince Chelsea, and especially president Ken Bates, to sell Desailly.

"The only chance Ferguson has of getting his man is if we get Beckham, Cole and cash," Bates told The Mirror newspaper earlier this week.

------------------
Glory Glory MAN UTD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts