Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Less than a week until the season starts, it soon comes round.

We start at home to Brigton, our first 3 home games are Brighton, Villa and Newcastle, so certainly a testing start to the season at home.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah we have drawn quite a few, on the plus side I don't remember us losing many opening games of the season.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at the team 4411 seems to the formation were expecting as that's what started the last friendly games. 442 diamond was used in the second half of games and looks like being the plan B

My guess at the starting 11 would be

Carson

Christie
Keogh
Shackell
Forsyth

Blackman
Bryson
Hughes
Wiemann

Ince
Bent

·
Registered
166 Posts
Tough game, I expect Brighton to be up there again. Will we hit the ground running? Or will we take a few games to gel?

The draw is the sensible bet for me, probably 1-1.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting interview with Tom Ince, where he talks about doing a lot more fitness work this summer and feeling fitter and stronger. I have often questioned our fitness over the last couple of seasons. Hopefully we will be a lot fitter this season.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marcus Olsson and Jacob Butterfield are both injury doubts, Pearson said in the pre match conference he doesn't intend to rush either play back. Forsyth will play left back, we've got plenty in midfield so it's not a huge loss. Would be nice to have everyone available of course. Thorne is still months away from playing again

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Marcus Olsson and Jacob Butterfield are both injury doubts, Pearson said in the pre match conference he doesn't intend to rush either play back. Forsyth will play left back, we've got plenty in midfield so it's not a huge loss. Would be nice to have everyone available of course. Thorne is still months away from playing again

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear Olsson and Butterfield are injury doubts?
Yep, Olsson has a concussion he got during a friendly game and isn't expected to play, which is a Shan as it was a good battle between him and Forsyth for the left back place.

Butterfield has a thought injury, and having missed the last couple of friendlies there's no way he gets in the team ahead of Hughes, Bryson, Hendrick or Johnson so he will be allowed to fully recover.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Was looking a good battle between Fozzy and Olsson for left back, I can see Fozzy cementing his place now.

Tough for Butterfield who could also find it tough to get in the team now unless there's injuries.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It makes the team a little more clearer, I expect 4411

Carson

Christie
Keogh
Shackell
Forsyth

Blackman/Russell
Hughes
Bryson/Hendrick
Wiemann/Russell

Ince
Bent/Martin

4 places that are tough to call, the first names are what I expect. The 2 wide positions are tough to call, especially as all 3 players are converted forwards.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think it will be Bryson and Will in the middle. It's a tough call for striker, Chrissy Martin has been the talisman for so long, but Bent has looked much the sharper pre season.

Two from three for the wide roles, again tough to call who will be left out.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder if we'd be better playing the 442 diamond as first choice, with no real wingers, lots of good centre mids and attacking full backs?
Possibly, I just think 4411 is what we will start with going from the friendlies. It would be nice to be flexible and bit reliant on one system though.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here we are, the morning of a new season :) full of expectation again. Let's hope it ends better this season.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rumours that it's Hendrick and Bryson, would be a big and not very popular call to leave out Hughes.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just seen the team

Carson

Christie, Keogh (c), Shackell, Baird

Blackman, Hendrick, Bryson, Johnson

Ince, bent

Subs - grant, Pearce, Lowe, Hughes, Martin, Butterfield, Russell

Wiemann knee injury, Fozzy not playing as his partner has gone into labour, hence Baird playing.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Made a bright start first 15 mins, been crap since then though, Hughes is on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts