Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have some kickass squad depth this season. Pirlo and Nesta are out and we look much more solid that last year.

The amount of options almost everywhere in the field is the best we've had in a while.

I have not always agreed 100% with the signings, but they are definitely good enough to be a very strong team. With as much potential as the Manchester or Barcelona out there.It sucks that we are not in CL. But they probably would not have improved the squad this much if we actually were in CL.

With a full squad, it will be up to Carlo completely to get the best out of this team.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
It's the strongest squad we've had for a few years. Being absent from the CL is perhaps, in hindsight, a necessary evil to achieve this "new" Milan. Not only in the players we signed but the mentality that has grown. Even in these early stages you can tell this is certainly a team that can fight for the Scudetto, which is a huge improvement over what we had the last couple of seasons. Traditionally we often seem even better after the winter break and with Nesta and Pirlo back that should be even more the case, while some of our rivals are dealing with crucial midweek CL games.

As has been said several times on this forum, parallels have been drawn between what happened last summer and what happened in summer 2001 (we also didnt qualify for CL, had a summer of big spending, followed by another summer of big spending) so hopefully we can further improve the squad in 2009.

I think so far Carlo has rotated the squad very well. We musnt forget the immense pressure he's been under, but he's utilised this squad very well so far. Even with the details like rotating GKs, it's all good management.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'm not totally satisfied with our front line. I think we needed to sign a big name forward who'll gurantee a goal every two games. Pato is still young and can't be expected to produce consistently. Boriello is solid but he's still finding his feet in the club. Sheva isn't ready and will take at least half a season to get back his peak fitness and confidence. Pippo is Pippo, he'll find a way to get goals but he's 35 and can't be relied on to stay fit for the length of the season. Ronaldinho, Kaka and Seedorf are not strikers, despite what Galliani would want us to think. One big name striker perhaps instead of Sheva's signing could have given us the little extra we seem to lack in some games. That confident, lethal goal getter that's essential to any big team.

In all other positions, I think we're extremely competitive and able.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
still we lack something such as a player that seedorf could be his alternative not Seedorf alternative or not vice Seedorf.Seedorf will be his vice such as Hamsyk.then instead Favalli and Maldini(he'll retire),Zapata and FB,everything is perfect for us we have a perfect squad.

deep is great,also considering we still didnt see the real Sheva,last year we have Brocchi for winning games but yet now we have many alternatives though we lost many players due to injury such as Nesta,Senderos,Pirlo.still we have pretty good bench.

·
Registered
43,410 Posts
Seedorf an alternative for anybody? I will buy you a one way ticket to Milano to go and tell him that in his own face. I dont think you need a returned ticket really :D

·
Registered
24,041 Posts
It's the strongest squad we've had for a few years.
Since 2005/06, and 05/06 was better than this one. Some current players we have now was in better physical form and younger and our defense then was way better. Not to forget we scored like there was no tomorrow.

What we improved really is getting better fullback cover and actually having a full forward line, something we lacked for two years!

·
Registered
43,410 Posts
johan

i think van was talking not so much about the starting 11 strength but the depth - meaning bench and cover for all starting spots. Which doesnt mean you are not right.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Marek Hamsyk is too good to be vice Seedorf.

Seedorf will be 33 next year,think about it,will be 33,we need to sign someone for first 11 instead of a vice Seedorf.sure he will get his time as vice Pirlo,vice Hamsyk.

Above all,World Class CB is more than a must and The FB then we are complete.

The FB,Zapata and Hamsyk will add much quality and will strength the first 11.

·
Scudetto
23,460 Posts
I'm sorry Kal, but as long as we have Gourcuff on our books I see no reason whatsoever to go for Hamsik.

Even if we end up losing Yoann, I don't think Napoli would sell their star player. Napoli IS a big club, and they surely want to continue their way up with this core of young, good players they have now.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
This isn't a calciomercato thread dude, you turn every thread into a calciomercato thread, relax

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'm sorry, actually that was meant for Kals. I enjoy Calciomercato only in the Summer when the season halts.

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Gourcuff for Hamsik would be sweet :hopeful:

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
Since 2005/06, and 05/06 was better than this one. Some current players we have now was in better physical form and younger and our defense then was way better. Not to forget we scored like there was no tomorrow.

What we improved really is getting better fullback cover and actually having a full forward line, something we lacked for two years!
Well that's very debatable Johan. 2005 and before that was definitely better in certain aspects. Several good players left summer 2005. That summer was when it really felt our squad and form was in decline IMO.

I'd swap Gourcuff for Hamsik in an instant. A year younger and already so established in Serie A. He's a true gem of a find for Napoli. Gourcuff is doing so well right now but it doesnt mean he's guaranteed to recreate that form at Milan. Neither is Hamsik, but then again he's Serie A proven and seems more of an Ancelotti player.

·
Scudetto
23,460 Posts
Doesn't the sentence "Serie A-established" bring some haunting memories of a certain Serie A top scorer? :scared:

Anyway, back to depth :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i just said that we dont have enough dept in FB,CB and attacking minded LCM.we have more dept in DM's and Emerson and Cardaccio? and insteead a complete midfielder should arrive such as who?you know what i mean?i dont talk about mercato.

now its better.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Like some of you have mentioned, a world class CB will be a good addition in the next window transfer. But at the moment we are coping very well in central defence in the absence of nesta and kaladze. Kudos to bonera who have done well in marshalling the defence with our ever green al Capitano. not forgetting our new utulity player who can play in his new role as CB, Mr Favalli :moan:

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
We have tremendous depth. To think that the players absent from the starting 11 today were: Pirlo, Pato, Flamini, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Nesta, Maldini, Kaladze, Antonini, Emerson.

It's the best depth I've seen, however our actual starting 11 in 2004/05 was far superior to this (not just on 'names', but actual form at the time).

Crespo-Shevchenko
Kaka
Seedorf-Pirlo-Gattuso
Maldini-Nesta-Stam-Cafu
Dida​

1 - 20 of 32 Posts