Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CL Quarterfinals/ Deportivo v Man Utd

Seems that teams that study carefully Deportivo squad's play can handle us better:(. Toppmöller showed us that, he had been watching Deportivo match videos over and over before he came to La Coruña and defeated us. So did Clemente whose side Tenerife almost got away from us at home. Manchester certainly have to adjust their tactics for the upcoming match aginst Depor, it isn't going to be easy for neither of us, I don't know what tactics are Man Utd capable of coming out with...:(.

Comparing the 2 teams by stats (match average/all):
Goals scored
ManU: 1.92 / 23
Depor: 1.42 / 17

Goals conceded
ManU: 0.75 / 9
Depor: 1.17 / 14

Shots on goal
ManU: 7.08 / 85
Depor: 6.5 / 78

Fouls committed
ManU: 15.42 / 185
Depor: 16.08 / 193

Ball Possession
ManU: 30 min / 361 min
Depor: 28 min / 336 min

Looks like Man Utd are better than us in every aspect here but they have also had a little easier opponents when compared to us.
BEAT MAN UTD!!!:fero:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Manchester United's Juan Sebastián Verón has injured his achilles and won't be able to play. Probably Nicky Butt will replace him if they stick with their tactics.

Victor Fernandez, coach of Celta Vigo has been giving advice to Alex Ferguson, how to beat Deportivo. This is pathetic, really !:irritate: From them both:yuck: !

Probable formation:
----------------------------MOLINA--------------------------------

SCALONI----------CÉSAR----------NAYBET--------------ROMERO

---------------MAURO SILVA---SERGIO--------------------------

VICTOR-----------------VALERÓN-------------------------FRAN

---------------------------TRISTÁN--------------------------------

Vamos Depor !! :star:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Really who do you Deportivo fans think are better, Deportivo or United? I think our team has much more quality and we will beat you easily on aggregate.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
soccerage's game preview...

Champions League QF Preview: Deportivo-Manchester United
Deportivo - Manchester United | News Archive

In the form of his life...Juan Valeron (Allsport)
04/01/2002. AT STAKE

Deportivo La Coruna have thrilled the whole of Europe this season with some truly magnificent performances against the best that the Champions League has to offer. Manchester United and Arsenal have both fallen twice to the Galicians, while Juventus have also been dismissed at the Riazor.

This is no longer a team that crumbles under the slightest pressure (just witness last year's 3-0 thrashing by Leeds United) and there is an altogether more durable air about the side this season. Centre-back Noureddine Naybet is in some of the best form of his career, while the likes of Cesar and Lionel Scaloni are also proving more than able deputies to the injured duo of Donato and Manuel Pablo.

But it's been in the final third of the pitch that Depor have truly dazzled this season. Diego Tristan's understanding with Juan Valeron borders on the telepathic at times, and together they have destroyed some of the world's best defences this season.

On the league front, things are no longer quite so bright for Javier Irureta's men after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Real Sociedad at the weekend. This result saw them fall four points behind pacesetters Real Madrid and Valencia with just six games to play. With arguably the most difficult run-in of the championship challengers (they still have to face Real, Valencia and Betis) it may be that Irureta is forced to put all of his eggs in the Champions League basket.

Manchester United will be aware that a repeat of the mistakes that led to defeats both home and away to Deportivo earlier in the campaign could end their bid to repeat the success of their 1999 Champions League campaign. Unlike during the group stages it is much harder to recover from an off-day during the knockout stages, especially when the opposition is as lethal as Deportivo.

The English champions reward for topping their group is that the second leg will be at Old Trafford, however that advantage will be worthless if they are well beaten at the Riazor on Tuesday. United showed once more on Saturday that their defence is easily breached, but I don't think the Spaniards will be as generous as Leeds were.

If Manchester United can avoid defeat in Spain it will place them firmly in the driving seat and enhance the chances of a possible semi-final showdown against Liverpool. Sir Alex Ferguson's side will also be keen to avoid chasing a deficit in the second leg given Deportivo's attacking prowess, especially on the counter-attack.

TEAM FORM

Deportivo Last Six Matches: DWWLWD

Draws against struggling Rayo Vallecano and Real Sociedad may ultimately cost Depor dear in terms of the Spanish title. So might the 3-1 Champions League reverse at home to Bayer Leverkusen which meant the Galicians finishing second in the group and going into the quarter finals unseeded. Victories have come against Arsenal, Osasuna and Tenerife.

Manchester United Last Six Matches: WDWWLW

Ferguson's men bounced back from a shock home defeat to Middlesbrough with a 4-3 win away to Leeds United on Saturday. The three points were almost reduced to one as Leeds fought back from 4-1 down, but United's frail resistance held on to keep their hopes of winning the Premiership alive. The four goals at Elland Road made it twelve in United's last three away matches after earlier triumphs in Portugal against Boavista (3-0) and at Upton Park against West Ham (5-3).

TEAM NEWS

Deportivo- With the exception of the injured Donato and Pablo, Irureta can field his strongest possible line-up. From the side that drew with Sociedad, out will go Hector, Aldo Duscher and Roy Makaay, and in will come Lionel Scaloni, Sergio and Tristan. The lone front-man will be supported by Valeron, Victor and Fran.

United's 31-goal striker Ruud Van Nistelrooy will almost certainly return to the starting line-up after being rested against Leeds on Saturday. Ferguson may chose to drop Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to the bench and play Ryan Giggs or Paul Scholes just off the Dutchman. Argentine superstar Juan Veron misses out with a heel injury so Nicky Butt will keep his place in midfield.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Diego Tristan- the thorn in the side of United in the first two games, returns to the side after missing the 1-1 draw with Sociedad on Wednesday. His quick feet and ice cold finishing have attracted the attention of Serie A's finest and he could be set for a move away from the Riazor in the summer months.

Juan Valeron- the Spanish international has had easily the best season of his career and is now set to star for the national side in the World Cup. His dribbling and passing ability have dazzled the Riazor this season and United will have to beware his intricate one-twos with Tristan in and around the box.

Fabian Barthez- The erratic French goalkeeper was at fault for two of Deportivo's goals in the 3-2 defeat at Old Trafford in October and I am sure he will be looking to make amends with a sturdy performance.

Ruud van Nistelrooy- Yet another strike from the Dutch goal machine in this crunch match could be his most valuable yet in what has been a fairy tale first season with Manchester United. The one thing for sure is that he is more than capable of popping up with a goal or two.

POSSIBLE STARTING XI

Deportivo (4-2-3-1): Molina, Scaloni, Cesar, Naybet, Romero; Mauro Silva, Sergio; Victor, Valeron, Fran; Tristan.

Manchester United (4-4-1-1): Barthez; G Neville, Johnsen, Blanc, Silvestre; Beckham, Butt, Keane, Giggs; Scholes; Van Nistelrooy.

SOCCERAGE PREDICTION

United to score, but Deportivo to take an advantage back to Old Trafford for the second-leg on Wednesday week.

Deportivo Win 40%
Draw 35%
Manchester united win 25%

·
Registered
325 Posts
What score will it be tonight?

i predict 2-0 to Depor after Sergio opens the score on the 37th min and Tristan makes it 2-0 after 62mins.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
2-0 Deportivo.
Tristan(2):D

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have won our last 5 matches against English clubs and I both hope and expect us to win our 6th today. We have our top squad selection, what else to wish;)?
I won't make a prediction, just in case:D.

VAMOS!!!:fero:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Near halftime now and it's 0-2 for Man Utd. As much as I'd like to see Depor advance I don't see it. Good luck in the league.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great goal by Beckham, a wonderful strike ! Magic:eek::star:
We can't score 2 goals at Old Trafford without conceding any. Have to score today, Pandiani has to get on !! I'm hoping for a 2-1:(.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The team are playing one of the worst game in the whole season:( :(
The midfielder has been disappear after the first few minutes. Man utd player get the ball easily and have most of the time in attack, and deportivo are just defends and have a low-effective counter attack which always get the ball back to man utd. Also Tristian is just not in the form, as he miss many chance in the first half. I just hope depor can drew this leg now :( :(

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are terribly depressed now and I predict a 3-0 for United. Depor can't play with such pressure, they're desperate. Fans should support them even tho they're disappointed. So what, keep cheering. I can understand Tristan, everyone expects him to score. Pandiani get on!

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Manchester are outclassing deportivo in every area possible, Giggs is looking great (like normal), same with Beckham. What a lovely goal he scored.

Its still 2-0 and Manchester are looking the better side still and are luck not to have a penalty.

If the score stays the same I really don't think you will beat us by a whole 3 goals, esspecially at old trafford.

·
Registered
526 Posts
they don't have to beat you by 3 goals. A 3-1 scoreline will put Depor through as well. Still the point is that Depor is pretty much out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FT: Deportivo 0 Man UTd 2 :( :(
we are lucky that not receive 5 goals. The referee always have the decision favor to deportivo and at least 1 penalty man utd should get. Also giggs have 2 1-to-1 chance that he misses.
Anyway we are just lose 2 goals and it's a chance we still go through(if we like the team in highbury of arsenal's game):)

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Depor had no chance in the second half and this was illustrated by the many depor shots from great distance, proving to be easy for Barthez. We should have won by more though, Giggs missed 2 sitters, and one time when Giggs broke free it was NOT offside (check replay).
Just like Irureta said, Keane is one of the most important players of United (actually THE most important), and even without him we didn't give you any chance. Btw, wth was Tristan doing? If we miss Beckham next week then that's thanks to dirty Tristan.
I've great respect for your team but fact is that you lost to the better team today (step forward dajackal and all the other doomsayers).

·
Registered
526 Posts
Kyo,

Well Man Utd knows when to step it up. A seasoned performance by you guys.

I'm a big fan of Tristan but I'm very disappointed by that last tackle by him. I hope UEFA will act and ban him for a few matches (not likely since he didn't get a red card). At the very least to teach him a lesson.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Juanele, thumbs up for being objective. Even Depor fans must admit that Tristan should have seen red, but not with this 36-year old crap referee though (what a disgraceful performance of him - lie = whistle+free kick). If Beckham would have done this to Tristan in the last minutes, you'd be mad too. Again, we won but at what cost? Keane is already out (the heart of the team), and maybe Beckham is out now too because of that horror tackle. Unfair. This could hurt our season.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everything depends on Keane and Beckham, can they play the next leg or not. Scholes misses the next match. Verón might be out for the next leg as well.
I'm glad ManU couldn't get the third, really relieved:).

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Bailemos... bit disappointed here.. you're hoping that Tristan's horror tackle paid off and resulting in Beckham being out next week so that you can sneakily win with nasty tactics? Thought you were a bit more fair than that.

D

·
0 Posts
step forward dajackal
Yeah I will, just like to say that I'm surprised at Tristan. Beckham thinks that he's broken his ancle and he's having an X-ray tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.