Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
International
9,526 Posts
We paid a high price for that victory from what I'm hearing, but what a victory. Who says that any result in football is inevitable. Certainly, you can never bet against UNITED!!!!!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The result is unbelievable, considering that just about everything went against us!

The refereeing: I must say that tonight's refereeing was one of the worst I've ever seen if not the worst.

Just to name a few amazing calls:

- A clear-cut penalty on Ruud not given, should've been a red card as well as it was from behind and the CB was the last man
- A Deportivo player handling in the box, the ref gives a free-kick and doesn't brandish a yellow card
- Nicky Butt tries to protect his face and gets booked for handling, a free kick, maybe, but a yellow for that?!
- 2 unbelievable offside calls against Giggsy and Ruud, when they were clear through
- about 10 (no exaggeration) amazing, excellent, beautiful tackles by United players deemed as fouls...
- Scholes ruthlessly brought down...no card
- Ruud stretchered off...he comes back too quickly according to the ref (though both Ruud and a United player were waving at the ref to show him Ruud is returning and he returned not even close to where the game was played at that moment in time), he gets booked
- Tristan makes a career-ending challenge on Becks, and only gets a bloody yellow card
- stoppage time...ffs...first half the ref signals 2 minutes and gives 3.5, 2nd half he signals 3 minutes and adds 5.5
- Giggs brought down from behind, no card

He did everything in his power for us not to win yet we won 2-0. Fanfeckintastic.

If everything would've gone our way:

- Giggsy twice 1-on-1 vs the keeper, goes past him once and defender saves off from the line, 2nd time the keeper stops Giggsy from going past him
- Ruud with 2 shots from close range
- Scholesy with a great shot, well saved by Molina
- 2 penalties that should've been called
- Depor should've ended the match with 9 men and with 5 goals in the back of the net

Best United performance than Juve away 99. Absolutely top class stuff. I'd be the first to admit that I didn't think the lads had it in them. They proved me wrong.

We were in complete control. They didn't have a sniff. Don't let the stats fool you. They may have had a lot of shots on goal but almost none of them were dangerous, all were weak and straight to Barthez.

·
International
9,526 Posts
if it was better than Juve 99, then it was some match, as that is the finest performance I've ever had the pleasure to watch (baring the first 10 minutes of course)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fred Elliot said:
if it was better than Juve 99, then it was some match, as that is the finest performance I've ever had the pleasure to watch (baring the first 10 minutes of course)
My sentence should've read "best United performance since Juve away" (too many Stellas ;) ) though I'd still say this was easily as good a performance, as the one in Turin, if not better.

The way we controlled the match and the way we kept threatning them was just sublime.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
A fantastic result that came with a heavy cost.

Fergie will have a headache choosing his team for the return leg and the bloody ref didnt help at all by booking Scholes for a harmless tackles(compared to what the Depor players got off with.:mad: )A 2 goal cushion is great to have and we have to score first at Old Trafford to knock the winds out of the Depor sails.Though I hope somebody deals wioth Tristan soon because he just CANNOt be allowed to get off so lightly with a tackle like that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It was definitely a red card offense on the tackle on Beckham. It was totally uncalled for, being in extra time and the score 2-0. Hope he's able to play next week.

It was a marvelous match. Giggs was unlucky not to have a couple of goals. He speed gave the Depor defense fits.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I watched the game. And that tackle by Tristan was so nasty. He deserved red card for that.
I can unserstand his frustration, but what he did was unacceptable.
Anyone know how long Beckham is gonna be out? It's a big blow for MU and England.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
|Gunners| said:
I watched the game. And that tackle by Tristan was so nasty. He deserved red card for that.
I can unserstand his frustration, but what he did was unacceptable.
Anyone know how long Beckham is gonna be out? It's a big blow for MU and England.
He's having an x-ray on his ankle

·
International
9,526 Posts
ITs worrying, because with Keano and Becks out, potentially, who the heck are we going to put in midfield? I suppose on the left, fortune might play, and on the right, maybe chadwick or forlan like Roy has said, but in the middle, its Butt and then who?

Johnson isn't up to it in my opinion. Possibly Veron, if he isn't injured, but then, who else? Michael Stewart? Ronnie Wallwork?
Giggs?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chadders is out for the season mate.

Forlan will do the job, believe me.

And Ronny would be fantastic at DM. Trust me on this ;)

Don't forget, we're carrying a 2 goal lead, 1 goal would probably be enough for us in the 2nd leg and we need to defend and Ronny-Nicky would do a sterling job in the middle of the park.

·
International
9,526 Posts
what happened to Chadwick..? the old memory forgets again;)

hmmm...well, I'll take your word for it on Johnson, although I wasn't impressed with him against Leeds.

but what about Blanc? The guy's a miracle. He came through one hell of a baptism of fire, and now, despite the fact he's as slow as houses, he playing brilliant. Top Man;)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fred Elliot said:
what happened to Chadwick..? the old memory forgets again;)

hmmm...well, I'll take your word for it on Johnson, although I wasn't impressed with him against Leeds.

but what about Blanc? The guy's a miracle. He came through one hell of a baptism of fire, and now, despite the fact he's as slow as houses, he playing brilliant. Top Man;)
He's been fantastic and the only majour mistake I can remember of him is the Boro one, where he obviously was on drugs, not the kind Jip Jaap used to take though, apparently

;)

·
Registered
775 Posts
WOHOO GO EAST GO WEST MANCHESTER IS THE BEST!!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Great game great performance.

Have to agree with you Lieboro - the refereeing was absolutely abysmal. He bottled all the major decisions...
-The three penalty incidents
-The horror tackle

I thought the most blatant penalty was the push on Silvestre at the back post - it was so obvious to everyone watching.

That's the best performance from Paul Scholes since last season - he was exceptional...

Agree that Tristan should have been sent off - and given a lengthy ban.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
I am not too confident about playing Johnsen as a DM.He has lost yards of pace and when you are playing in central midfield,one has to get through a lot of work both up and down the pitch.I dont see Johnsen being up for that heavy workload.

How about Wallwork or Stewart?Both of them have been on fringes for some time now.Will they be able to deal with the pressure of such an occassion?Will Fergie take a gamble and try one of them out:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think Johnsen would cope, its not as if he has to charge up and down the field. He could just sit in front of the back four like Hamann does for Liverpool. I just pray Butt and Giggs stay fit against Leicester, Giggsys hamstring has a nasty habit of straining when hes at his best.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cokane said:
Great game great performance.

Have to agree with you Lieboro - the refereeing was absolutely abysmal. He bottled all the major decisions...
-The three penalty incidents
-The horror tackle

I thought the most blatant penalty was the push on Silvestre at the back post - it was so obvious to everyone watching.

That's the best performance from Paul Scholes since last season - he was exceptional...

Agree that Tristan should have been sent off - and given a lengthy ban.
Thanks for reminding me mate

Yes, that push on Silvestre was another penalty we were robbed of

It's amazing, they were so many bad calls that I even forgot some

·
Registered
322 Posts
awesome performance from the boys, blanc was great out there he had so many intercepts he may be slow but he shore reads the game brillitany.
but now we got some major headaches without keane and scholes, i read fergie said becks should be right by next week
not to sure on veron thou.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts