Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rory Delap should be a quarterback instead of a player have any of the overseas members seen his long throw.He is getting assists from them both Stoke Goals were from throw ins.Is there any other players in europe doing this as well.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
It's going very well for him so I wouldn't change career, just yet :proud: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
He can get it over 40m. The fact is Wenger didn't even entertain that it'd be a threat. Yes he put on Diaby and Song to combat the aerial presence but it was blatant they had no set-piece training against Stoke.

It is still a fantastic weapon though, he keeps the ball so flat so its hard for centre-backs and goalkeepers to get underneath it.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
They were doing that in the Championship last season as well. They got promoted that way. They've got no Plan B. Eventually, teams will learn how to deal with Delap's throw-ins, and it's a bit sad when this is the only way you can score.

They're even uglier than Bolton - And that takes some doing.

·
Administrator
52,972 Posts
The average NFL QB is more impressive because they throw very long with ONE arm, Delap is impressive for throw ins. But he uses both arms, and with the momentum of taking strides to throw it longer, not standing still and throwing a pin point long one with one arm like a QB.

But still, for Football, thats pretty good. But it was so laughably obvious Arsenal would get ****ed over this, they really suck at aireal balls. Their players are like headless chickens in set pieces.

·
Scudetto
23,383 Posts
hahaha!! thats cool.

This reminds me of the time when Pirlo was converted to a playmaker :proud:

:pp

·
JESTER OF SORTS
21,015 Posts
They were doing that in the Championship last season as well. They got promoted that way. They've got no Plan B. Eventually, teams will learn how to deal with Delap's throw-ins, and it's a bit sad when this is the only way you can score.

They're even uglier than Bolton - And that takes some doing.
I see it in a completely different way, Delap just put some magic into the game.

And I don't think teams can simply "learn how to deal with" throwins like this, just as teams don't learn how to deal with corners.

Teams score from Corner Kicks every day, hell, I would say every week in every league, a team scores from a corner kick, AT LEAST.

Why would it not be the same for an even more dangerous attack, than a laterally flying ball towards you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see it in a completely different way, Delap just put some magic into the game.

And I don't think teams can simply "learn how to deal with" throwins like this, just as teams don't learn how to deal with corners.

Teams score from Corner Kicks every day, hell, I would say every week in every league, a team scores from a corner kick, AT LEAST.

Why would it not be the same for an even more dangerous attack, than a laterally flying ball towards you?
well said, and teams often pick up from successful strategies, so let's just say that the possibility of this strategy becoming more popular is rather high.

·
JESTER OF SORTS
21,015 Posts
I mean, it's pretty disrespectful to first off say they have no Plan B.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this Plan A is pretty successful, considering it's amounted to ~10 goals now.

What do you expect Stoke City to be, exactly? Champions League contenders? No, they are a mid table team. They know this, we know this, everyone knows this. And as a mid table team, they score pretty consistently, and from Delap's throws.

And as for ugliness, those 2 goals against Arsenal are highlights of the week, thanks to the very unique and special throwins.

Is it suddenly a cheap tactic now? OMG guys, this annoying guy assists a goal again, WITH HIS HANDS. What a cheapass, what a pub team, what losers. I mean, come on.

Delap made me EXCITED to watch football now.

A show of hands, how many people here are now very much more inclined to watch a Stoke City game? I know I am. I want to see this guy in action, I want to see his throw ins, damn it, I want some magic in the game, and he's showing it.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
I mean, it's pretty disrespectful to first off say they have no Plan B.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this Plan A is pretty successful, considering it's amounted to ~10 goals now.

What do you expect Stoke City to be, exactly? Champions League contenders? No, they are a mid table team. They know this, we know this, everyone knows this. And as a mid table team, they score pretty consistently, and from Delap's throws.

And as for ugliness, those 2 goals against Arsenal are highlights of the week, thanks to the very unique and special throwins.

Is it suddenly a cheap tactic now? OMG guys, this annoying guy assists a goal again, WITH HIS HANDS. What a cheapass, what a pub team, what losers. I mean, come on.

A show of hands, how many people here are now very much more inclined to watch a Stoke City game? I know I am. I want to see this guy in action, I want to see his throw ins, damn it, I want some magic in the game, and he's showing it.
I don't mind the underdog's and this season they're pretty much at it again Hull is really making people take notice,SC are playing with that much spirit and west Brom are giving their all also.Just a point if Stoke struggle will they call them"Choke City":flirt::pp

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Does anyone remember Dave Challinor? He's got the world record for a throw in, he used to play for Tranmere and Stockport a couple of years ago. The guy was even sicker than Delap.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,985 Posts
it's funny how Delap playing for Stoke might very well end the season with more assists (and all with his hands) than somebody like Modric playing for Tottenham :D

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
You've got to be kidding me!

Stoke are nothing but a one-dimensional Route One team. Tony Pulis, bless his cotton socks, wets himself when he sees a footballer above 6'3'. This is not a laughing matter, it's the truth. They were ugly in the Championship and they are ugly now. 8 of the 13 goals they've scored have come from a Delap throw-in. That's over half their goals.

Anyway, kudos to Stoke for playing to their strength, if this is gonna keep them up then fair play. When you only got one weapon in your drawers, then you certainly gonna use that effectively. But they won't win many friends along the way, like West Brom and Hull - They contribute nothing to the Premiership.

Arsenal are pants though. It was laughable how they got done over by these aerial balls.

I know Delap, got nothing against him. He was a decent player for Derby and Southampton.

·
A true hero
31,423 Posts
Does anyone remember Dave Challinor? He's got the world record for a throw in, he used to play for Tranmere and Stockport a couple of years ago. The guy was even sicker than Delap.
He could throw it further, but he didn't get the low angle and speed that Delap gets. Delaps are the best throw in's I've ever seen by miles.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts