Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Normal Human
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let us be honest and not answer blindly because we are his fans or whatever may be ..
Does Alessandro Del Piero #10 of Juventus of Turin deserve his 150 000 per week wage?
Please answer this question with a clear mind as it can be used as a reference for further discussions that will surely arise.

I personally do not believe he is worth that much.Atleast not in his role as a forward and his goal turnover.His best season was in 97-98 22 goals in league 8 CL. he has not come close before or since and will he ever come close.
Therefore he can only be seen as a mascott, or good luck charm because that is what he is.
I expect to be bashed by Del Piero's fans but they wouldn't be fans if they didn't

V

·
0 Posts
I'm a Juventus fan and I will admit he has not exactly be scoring for fun. But he came back from a carrer freatning injury. We will see the real Del Piero next season. Even if he dosen't score that many goals this season he has still been a big influnce. We were lying in 6th place last season and now on top of the league. At the end of the day who is worth 100,000 a week. I say if anyone deserves it and if it keeps him at the club then he is worth it.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
NO>>> JUST because he can score on PK and win the game he is no god...
JUST AN OPINION//

[This message has been edited by cmdg3232 (edited 25-04-2000).]

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Not this year. Next year might be totally different though. However, he is the runaway assist leader in the Serie A, and he is 8 for 8 in penalties. So he still holds a lot of value to our team. Let's not give up on him yet, or else we'd be forgetting what this guy has done for us over the years.

------------------
Forza 1) JUVE 2) Chelsea 3) Valencia

Z

·
0 Posts
With the possible exception of Glen*, no one is worth U.S.$11 million per year. There are too many hungry people in the world.

* keeping Lazio and Juventus fans from electronically killing each other is worth a lot - maybe not $11 million - but a lot ....

Zen9

B

·
0 Posts
Del Piero has been at this great club since Sept'93.He has given his immense talent to us and has provided many,many beautiful moments.As he is still only 25 years old i feel he is worth every penny ,especially when you consider how much Juventus F.C. make as a business.Next season he will be back to his glorious best and one of my topics for discussion will be IS DEL PIERO UNDERPAID!!!!!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
It has been posted many times that you shouldn't just judge a striker for the amount of goals he scores. However, it does play a very big part on whether the striker is good or not. Strikers function is to SCORE.

DP makes great assists, but that isn't it...

However, he will be back next season, I say not as good as 97/98 but with a good 14-18 goals in Serie A

------------------
G3ORG3

FoRzA JuVe

fOrZa BiAnCoNeRi

·
Registered
881 Posts
I fully agre with Bettega. Del Piero is one of a kind. I beleive Alex has got a lot more to offer & achieve, the injury was a major blow obviously.

F

·
0 Posts
Bettega is absolutely right. Juve has one of the best players in the world right now.

His goal scoring is not where it should be, but let's be thankful that he is still playing soccer and not in limbo like Ronaldo.

FORZA JUVE E DEL PIERO

·
0 Posts
To be honest, I don't think Del Piero worths this wage. Actually, I've started watching Italian league since last September. I watched the World Cup 1998 too. I know Del Piero is a "God" to the Italian. To me, I don't think he is. He is a lousy player. In World Cup 98, he substituted for R. Baggio. He didn't play well. In Juventus this year, he has only scored 8 goals which is much less than the other striker Inzaghi. However, everytime, the Italian press and his fans always find excuses for him such as he gives great assistance to Inzaghi,he is the keyman..... . However, as a striker, he should score. I just want all of the fans to be fair judges. I think Inzaghi is much better than Del Piero in every part. Face the reality, Del Piero is not all that good. At least, he's not as good as you expected.
Be fair to everyone esp. to Inzaghi and Kovacevic. I think the coach should use Inzaghi and Kovacevic as a start up.

------------------

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hey 9981 we feel the same..He scores on a PK and he is now god...
Does not make any sense..I have said this before more times when DP touches the ball he is on the ground..
To me I see DP as an INDIVIDUAL player not as a team player..
ONLY MY OPINION>>>

·
Normal Human
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
9981 and cmdg3232 i agree with you two completely.however i think it is dangerous to discuss this topic :) he is a King or God to some people. People always hound Inzaghi about diving.....Del Piero can't run for more than 8 seconds. I agree he is an individual player. He seems a very greedy and envious individual who seems to be causing lots of trouble for his fellow striker, Inzaghi. A main topic is that Inzaghi is worthless and would be nothing without Del Piero, he never passes to Del Piero..i cannot understand these comments because they are not true also because half these people who say this claim that they don't see the games. Del Piero is Juventus and will be Juventus for a long time to come.
One more thing...
I saw every game Juventus played in the 97-98 season. he scored 22 goals yet his play was uninspiring and he seemed very angry to pass the ball to Inzaghi.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Watcher; Del Piero was uninspiring in 1997-98 ?
I can't believe You wrote that!

On the topic of D.P being worth his salary... He's not- considering that he's certainly not the best striker/forward in the world this season. From a strictly economical point of view however, there's no doubt that DP is the most valuable marketing icon Juve has ever had.

9981; One of the things I've always had a hard time with was that if One doesn't like a player this player suddenly becomes "lousy". Inzaghi for instance is better at DP at scoring, but I doubt that You'll find anything he does better. I'm not trying to put down Pippo, but he's good at one thing only. Del Piero IS number 1 in the assist list this season (even if we haven't scored many goals). I'm as disappointed as everyone else that he doesn't score this season, but he HAS been important to the team.

Ciao.

A

·
0 Posts
Absolutely not.

------------------
Keep the hope alive!
Forza Viola!
Bati is the man!

P

·
0 Posts
When it comes to money we should remember that Del Piero shouldnt be blamed for the money he earns. It is the market that has put the prices this high. If Del Piero isnt worth his money, then who is? Would we be more satisfied if we decreased Alex's wages to Inzaghis?

Im a Lazio-fan but I must say, that I completely adore your #10. To me he will always be one of the best players in the world.

Alex hasent scored alot but don't you think that Ancelotti's choice of keep on playing him from start says alot about #10's capacity. I mean if you play as an attacker every game from start without scoring goals, you're kind of important for the team.

Like Ramy said, you have the money, so why argue?

------------------
Forza Lazio

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Del Piero has been incredibly important to Juventus this season. We would be nowhere without his decisive assists and presence. On the economic issue, Del Piero has I think been paid an extraordinarily high amount, but he has not scored the goals (besides the penalties which mind you ARE counted as goals. :)) I still think he's one of the most talented and magical football players in the world, even though he may be lacking in confidence this season.

Forza Del Piero
Forza Juve.

·
0 Posts
Glen, I think Del Piero is lousy because I don't think he worths this wage and all the praises. I know he has been contributing to Juventus but he's not that good this season. Also, I find annoying that he always think that his injury has not been fully recovered. As many soccers have experienced the period of broken legs such as Ciro Fierra, he broke his leg before World Cup 98 but this season he played great. I just don't know why Del Piero is so like "god" to everybody !!!
It makes me real sick !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts