Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Italian football
23/1/02

Juventus ace Alessandro Del Piero, who only days ago said he was very happy to stay at Juventus for the rest of his career, may be sold.
Reports out of Italy today suggest that Del Piero, who's contract is up for renewal in 2004, may not fit into plans of Marcello Lippi.

His form has been good this season but not brilliant and with Juve set to seek out a quality striker - perhaps Hernan Crespo - and with Marcelo Salas set to return at the end of this season, Del Piero might find himself on the unwanted list.

Del Piero would command a huge transfer fee, something which might tempt Juventus to part company with the champion who has scored 80 Serie A goals since making his debut in 1993-94.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/january/italnews3230102.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
What is that sh**t??:mad: :mad:
Del piero=juve and juve without Del piero=nothing..he is our leader and he is BRILLIANT this seoson and he is still improving..

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Ridiculous.

Not going to happen. Or else the Juve management has tottaly lost it.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
A precision: Del Piero hasn't scored 80goals but 109.

Oh and btw - very funny rumour ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Well- the argumentation is speculative to say the least.....

HOWEVER- I don't think we should be blind to the fact that Juve has sold Roberto Baggio, Christian Vieri and Zinedine Zidane inside the last 6 years...
If we were to sell Del Piero- it would mean a chunk of what we could consider our current "identity" as a team, but Juventus would still be Juventus. I surely disagree with any other notion, as no overhaul will ever change that it's club before player for me.

Again- this is not to say it's going to happen. I don't believe it at all, and it sounds like mindspin completely. Just wanted to relativize the whole concept. The fans (me too, surely) would hate it for a long time, but there's hardly any reason to suspect that Juventus would be "worse" with Crespo.... It wouldn't be the same, but we would still be as competitive, maybe even more so.

Ciao.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Glen said:
HOWEVER- I don't think we should be blind to the fact that Juve has sold Roberto Baggio, Christian Vieri and Zinedine Zidane inside the last 6 years...
Baggio was not on good terms with Lippi and Juventus wanted to launch a certain kid which arrived from Padova named Del Piero. They wanted to make HIM the "main man" at Juve and everyone knows Baggio would not accept that. It was a "Baggio or Del Piero" decision for Juve at time, and with Lippi clearly being on Del Piero's side, Baggio was sold. Juventus did not really believe in Vieri. Sure, he had a good season (actually, a good second part of the season) but Juve just wasnt convinced. And Gesus Gil y Gil's bid was considerably big (even Vieri admited that he would accept the bid for himself!). Juve just thought Inzaghi was better. Dont ask my why, but they did. :) Finally, Zidane wanted to leave and I doubt he left Juve much of a choice. Thats a different case.

Selling DP will make no sense at all. A Crespo - Trezeguet duo doesnt sound very creative and with a wing system clearly not working, who will serve them the ball? Del Piero is clearly an ideal partner for Trezegol OR Crespo. Had DP been playing poor as his previus two seasons, I could believe Juve selling him, but come on. Right now Alex is at his best and clearly the best secunda punta in Italy. Right now, with Trezeguet banging goals left, right and center, I see absolutely no point in Juventus getting Crespo. Sure, he is better, but not much enough to make a big difference. And there is also the transfer fee to think about. ;)

I have always been admiring the Juventus management. I wont believe that they are going to make such moronic moves. It just wont be Juventus. :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
AMO you continue to amaze me.....that made quite a lot of sense. i agree with you that selling DP would be very stupid but i also think that next season Juve is not going to use a wing sysytem, i think that we might have a creative midfielder which will actually then put more pressure on DP to start scoring like Trezeguet...... but still...to me it would be a blow..i would just like DP to end his career at Juve.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Hyhyhy. (in case you dunno > y =u :D)

Frankly, there were moments in the past when I easly considered a one DP's departure. Actually, when there was a rumour about him and Barca, I had nothing against it. I was even smiling. No one player is/must be bigger than the club itself. When this thing happens, the team will die.

The rumour is crap at the moment. Nothing is fo sho ( ;) ) till the last game in Seria A and the CL. What if Del Piero scores some deceisive goals which will bring us great tropheys? What? The board will sell him. Nope. The smallest reason for it would be that the people on the stadium love the guy. And In the first months while everyone is crying, the stadium will be empty.

I think just as Eringi, that Juve is not gonna use the wings for the next season. But I still wouldn't find a partnership between Trez and Crespo good at all. Also, I can't think of any better secunda punta for the calcio's style of play.
Maybe only Raul fits well, but this is ridiculos as you know.

Bye Bye.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
AMOROSO! said:

Baggio was not on good terms with Lippi and Juventus wanted to launch a certain kid which arrived from Padova named Del Piero. They wanted to make HIM the "main man" at Juve and everyone knows Baggio would not accept that. It was a "Baggio or Del Piero" decision for Juve at time, and with Lippi clearly being on Del Piero's side, Baggio was sold. Juventus did not really believe in Vieri. Sure, he had a good season (actually, a good second part of the season) but Juve just wasnt convinced. And Gesus Gil y Gil's bid was considerably big (even Vieri admited that he would accept the bid for himself!). Juve just thought Inzaghi was better. Dont ask my why, but they did. :) Finally, Zidane wanted to leave and I doubt he left Juve much of a choice. Thats a different case.

Selling DP will make no sense at all. A Crespo - Trezeguet duo doesnt sound very creative and with a wing system clearly not working, who will serve them the ball? Del Piero is clearly an ideal partner for Trezegol OR Crespo. Had DP been playing poor as his previus two seasons, I could believe Juve selling him, but come on. Right now Alex is at his best and clearly the best secunda punta in Italy. Right now, with Trezeguet banging goals left, right and center, I see absolutely no point in Juventus getting Crespo. Sure, he is better, but not much enough to make a big difference. And there is also the transfer fee to think about. ;)

I have always been admiring the Juventus management. I wont believe that they are going to make such moronic moves. It just wont be Juventus. :)
Amo :star::star::star:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
this is plain crap. First of all, Crespo and Trez would never work. They are the same type of player. They bot need DP to score.

I dont want Crespo anyway, he costs to much and we have TRezeguet who is just as good i feel, and younger.

and if we were to sell DP, which would go for just as much as Figo or Zidane, who is gonna be our playmaker forward type person???

i just feel that with DP, Trez, Salas and maybe another good forward like Ventola, someone big and tall like Trez would be perfect for Juve. It would rotate well also, DP and TRez and Salas and say Ventola....perfect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have heard about the news in china too.It is hard for me to accept it...:depress:
maybe we can find someone better than him ,but no one can take place of him ...he is our leader...:depress:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
eringi said:
well AMO in the sense that sometimes you make sense and other times you don't but this time you did :D ;)
I always make sense. ;) Its just you who has classified me as "Juventus public enemy #1" and disregard most of the things I say as "anti-juve" propaganda. :rolleyes:

:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I havn't seen a juve squad without del boy as i became a juventino from 93-94. So it certainly will be strange not having him there, and i doubt he would go to any other clubs in Italy if he were to go.. the only way a move by del boy would make me smile if he were to join up with Owen at LFC.. other than that i will not even think about del boy going.:)

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Juuvee,
I join your feelings here. I never knew Juventus without Del Piero so I just can't imagine the Bianconeri without him...

On the other hand xtc and Glen have a point here: it's Juve first and then Del Piero. None player, no matter how we adore him, should go before the club...

But as Amo pointed out (and as we all think) this move would go against any logic and it's very likely to be nothing more than one rumour more...

:)

PS - If he ever had to leave I would see him in Barcelona !

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Originally posted by Amoroso
Right now Alex is at his best and clearly the best secunda punta in Italy
I wouldn't exactly say that Del Piero is at his best right now.
Admittedly he a very good player, but he still hasn't reached the form before his injury.

If Del Piero in these same circumstances were sold say last year, and the discussion about Juve selling their best players like this were taken up, you could probably argue that "yeah but Del Piero was never the same again after his injury. He improved, but never reached the same level, therefore he was sold"
Maybe it doesn't make sense to the anyone than the management to sell him, but hey thinking Inzaghi was better than Vieri doesn't make sense either.

That said, I don't believe that rumour either, but strange things do happen in football sometimes.

N

·
0 Posts
Del Piero is NOT Juventus. He is an integral part of the club and it's image but he is NOT Juventus.

I wish some people would comprehend the concept.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nero said:
Del Piero is NOT Juventus. He is an integral part of the club and it's image but he is NOT Juventus.

I wish some people would comprehend the concept.
Even if I often said that DP IS Juventus, I agree with you here.

Players come and go. Juventus is more than a bunch of world class players. Del Piero probably is the player (along with Ferrara and Conte) who identifies most with the club at the moment, but the day will come when he retires (I hope he will stick with Juve that long) and then he will be passé. But the magic of Juventus will go on...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts