Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alessandro Del Piero assures that the time has come for him to shine at international level after slipping up in two tournaments.

The Juventus star has impressed for his club throughout the years, but a combination of bad luck and injuries saw him struggle at both France ’98 and Euro 2000.

“The name of Del Piero has been attached to the success at Juventus,” he admits, “but I have never won anything with Italy. The time has come to make up for lost opportunities.”

“I am confident as I am in better condition than before both the last World Cup and the European Championships in Holland and Belgium.”

Del Piero has particularly hit peak form in the last month in what proved crucial performances for Juve’s Scudetto winning season.

“Italy cannot hide from the fact,” he explains, “we are among the favourites for this World Cup. We all spoke about it today in the changing rooms. We want to go all the way, even if it won’t be easy as there are another five or six teams that share our chances.”

One of the reasons for Del Piero’s stuttering Azzurri record has been the duality with Roberto Baggio. In particular the 1998 World Cup saw fans demand the Divine Ponytail be picked ahead of the younger model. That won’t be an issue this year as Baggio has been left at home.

“Giovanni Trapattoni thought about this decision long and hard,” assured Del Piero. “I would have had no problems if Baggio was part of the squad as we get on very well. We must respect the Coach’s choices and having spoken to Trap I think he suffered in making this decision.”

At the end of today’s training session Trapattoni ordered a game between ranks. Ten men were in each team and the red-shirted players should be the starting line-up for Saturday’s friendly against the Czech Republic.

Francesco Totti and Cristiano Doni did not take part as they are still struggling with fitness problems.

The red squad was Abbiati; Cannavaro, Nesta, Maldini; Zambrotta, Tommasi, Di Biagio, Coco; Inzaghi, Vieri

The goalkeeper for Saturday’s game will be Gianluigi Buffon. In the 25-minute match the yellow-shirted team won 2-1 thanks to goals from Angelo Di Livio and Vincenzo Montella. Christian Vieri scored for the reds.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Ditto my brother....Alessandro Del Piero Will B Top Scorer of The WORLD CUP;)

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Again?

I hope it will come true this time, not like the 'bet on me for topscorer of Euro2000' comment he said before Euro2000.
If Del Piero screws up this year I hope he will find a nice place to live in Asia.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Del Piero is my favourite player and I want him to do very well. BUT since I read the comments made by Alex "I'll be a world cup star" I don't think he really will.

I remeber before France 98 Alex had the best season and when asked if he would do well at the WC he replied "I will do very well" and what happened he did Jack-****. And Jack-**** as well at Euro 2000.

I just hope he does well for the sake of us fans and defintely for ITALY.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Hmm, at the risk of restarting the controversies (I definitely don't want want that), Del Piero got injured just before the WC (thank you so much, Hierro!) and had to count with the vox populi which demanded Baggio before the young starlet). I have Italy's Euro 2000 games on tape and I just come to one conclusion: that's such a shame people wantonly remember the final at the expense of his general performance, which was good.

Forza Alex! Forza Italia! :proud::star::strong:
I believe in you!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Totti handed No 10 shirt

The Italian Football Federation have announced the official squad numbers for the Azzurri party at the 2002 World Cup.

The magical No 10 shirt has been handed to Francesco Totti, leaving other contender Alex Del Piero with the No 7.

Inter stopper Marco Materazzi has been given the No 23 while Pippo Inzaghi will wear the No 9.

Star striker Christian Vieri has kept faith with his France ’98 number of 21 while Vincenzo Montella has been awarded the No 20 – the shirt won by Paolo Rossi in 1982 when Italy triumphed.

Goalkeepers: 1 Buffon, 12 Abbiati, 22 Toldo

Defenders: 2 Panucci, 3 Maldini, 5 Cannavaro, 13 Nesta, 15 Iuliano, 23 Materazzi

Midfielders: 4 Coco, 6 Zanetti, 8 Gattuso, 10 Totti, 11 Doni, 14 Di Biagio, 16 Di Livio, 17 Tommasi, 19 Zambrotta

Forwards: 7 Del Piero, 9 Inzaghi, 18 Delvecchio, 20 Montella, 21 Vieri.

football italia
--------------------------------------
Nr 7? I almost get the feeling that Trap wants him to play in midfield....

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
WTF !? :angel:

Why was Doni handed Alex's 11 !? OK, that doesn't matter anyway! And Figo and Beckham both wear the n°7 too! ;)

Forza Alex! :proud:
Totti & Trap à la poubelle!

Ciao.

PS - What have we here? Signore Magnus!? Welcome! :)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
stephañho said:
Hmm, at the risk of restarting the controversies (I definitely don't want want that), Del Piero got injured just before the WC (thank you so much, Hierro!) and had to count with the vox populi which demanded Baggio before the young starlet). I have Italy's Euro 2000 games on tape and I just come to one conclusion: that's such a shame people wantonly remember the final at the expense of his general performance, which was good.

Forza Alex! Forza Italia! :proud::star::strong:
I believe in you!
That's true, and in the semifinals he worked 90 minites on the right flank. He must have been very tired during the finals.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Ah, he can wear any number...FORZA ALEX!:)
The only think I want from him is to show what he has really got!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Very stupid that Ale has got the no7 shirt:confused: But he is a striker and that won't change! Raul also has the no7.

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
Alex asked for that number, he was quite happy for Totti to wear the number 10. Most Italy fans aren't concerned what shirt number he wears, but only whether we get to see the influence Del Piero has on Juve in the Azzurri.

PS Welcome Nekton.:)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
LUCKY 7

Nyuka said:
Inshaallah.
Is that how you spell in Turki.. in Indonesia we spell like this :

INSYA ALLAH...

I'd prefer him get this 7 than 10. cause, being 10 is a heavy burden.. so, let Totti take the responsibilities and Alex can concentrate to be the star.. :D :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts