Xtratime Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FLORENCE, Italy, May 15 (AFP)
Alessandro Del Piero on Wednesday formally conceded the title of Italian football's golden boy to World Cup team-mate Francesco Totti.

Del Piero, until the year 2000, was considered the great hope of Italian football but was eclipsed in Euro 2000 by AS Roma's Totti, the man around whom coach Giovanni Trapattoni admits he is building his team.

And Del Piero on Wednesday recognised Totti as the new king as he conceded the number 10 jersey that normally designates a team's playmaker, Brazil's Pele and Diego Maradona of Argentina just two famous names to wear that number.

But Del Piero is happy with his number seven jersey.
"Francesco asked me what I wanted and I replied to him that he could have the number 10 jersey because in recent years he has had it more than me," said Del Piero who plays for Juventus.

His gesture pleased Italy coach Trapattoni who said: "Del Piero has done something really admirable."

And as far as Del Piero is concerned seven is a lucky number.
"In Japan the number seven is lucky," said Del Piero who will be competing in his fourth major tournament for Italy having failed to fulfil predictions of greatness in the previous three.

"It's also the number with which I began my career with San Vendemiano. My first ever coach Umberto Prestia gave it to me when I played with the kids. The number seven is in my memory, in my past."

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Do 'golden boy' articles like these serve any purpose? Just to cause friction between players I think.
Who gives a **** who the golden boy is/will be, I just care that the players will fight on the field.
Del Piero will have 1000 tonnes of pressure on his shoulders even if he doesn't wear any number!
No player in the squad deserves the #10 yet anyway!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Nothing wrong with taking pressure off himself. :) And I think it shows he's generous and has no complaints that Totti is taking centrestage. It's teamwork that counts anyway. :)

·
Registered
17,029 Posts
1- we wont see DP in the WC as traps loves to play Vieri's sex partner alonside him (inzaghi)

2- Totti actually cares about numbers and being the golden boy. remember he is not a team player, he worries more about himself than the team, thats been proven in the past. eg. he said baggio cant be chosen because it puts too much pressure on him and the others. although it would help the team, he still thought of himself.

:mad:

3- del piero is over all that golden boy, number 10 crap, he just wants to play and most of all, he wants to win the WC.

4- Del Piero is professional, and thats what professional players do, they sacrifice and think of the team before themsleves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.