Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Del Neri blames ref for defeat Sunday 27 January, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just as in the Week 3 meeting between Juventus and Chievo, controversial refereeing decisions have had a crucial part to play.

“The third goal knocked the stuffing out of us,” commented a very angry Luigi Del Neri. “Next time I’ll ask my players to cut off their hands just in case they happen to be near a cross.”

The sarcastic remark was aimed at the second penalty awarded to Juventus for a handling offence that appeared to be involuntary.

“The first spot-kick was ridiculous, the more I see it the more ridiculous it gets. The same goes for the second penalty, but that’s football.”

“Juventus did not need these gifts from the referee to win the match,” admitted the Chievo Coach. “And yet they scored from a set-piece, an own goal and a penalty. Really,” he sniped, “well done.”

“My team fought until the bitter end against everyone and everything. Let us forget about this and move on.”

While Del Neri’s post-match comments were dripping with sarcasm and anger, Marcello Lippi exhibited trademark confidence. “I had a good feeling about this game. Juve were very determined and created many interesting opportunities against a fearless Chievo.”

The Coach used unusual tactics to defeat the surprise package of the season. “Alex Del Piero played further out to the left, but at the end Pavel Nedved went back into that position. We needed a really strong performance to get past this team.”

Some suggested that Del Piero had hit a weak penalty on purpose as a form of protest at the dubious decision. “I don’t think he’d do that,” claimed Lippi. “Although I do admit he usually takes them more like the second spot-kick.”

·
Registered
122 Posts
It can be said that Juventus beat Chievo playing with their usual Juve style, that is, with the help of their 12th player, referee De Santis. :yuck:

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
We all know how this is gonna end up and we don't want this thread to turn into a big flamewar in our forum. We've already experienced this many times in the past and we're fed up with it.

We Juventus fans all agreed there was no penalty in that Lupatelli-Del Piero contact !

I cant see the need of opening a specific thread to discuss this issue -do it in the match thread- as many people which I won't name would take this opportunity to flame us plain and simple...

Unfortunately bias and dishonesty will always prevail over objectivity and honesty..

Thread closed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.