·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Why would they just announce it now?

Probably the best thing to happen to The NT since winning Euros back in who knows when.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Welcome back Raul Gonzalez.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Seems a good choice on paper as any. I'll leave it at that for now.

·
Registered
987 Posts
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=660784

Aragones To Continue After Euro's

Spain coach Luis Aragones has addressed his future, Raul's selection prospects, the race row regarding Thierry Henry in 2004, and more...

The seasoned coach will be leaving his post as manager of la Furia Roja, to the delight of many Spanish fans, who are looking forward to his mooted successor, Vicente Del Bosque, taking over the side.

However, even as Aragones nears 70 years of age, he feels he has more to offer to football yet, saying he would prefer to coach outside of Spain.

"I don't consider myself old,"declared Luis. "I'll be finished with the national team inside three months but I intend to continue coaching.

Respect

The unpopular coach seems to be looking to improve his relations with the media and fans in general, but calls for more respect for coaches.

"The insults bug me. Today, a coach isn't respected," he explained.

Studying

Spain go into Euro 2008 as quasi-favourites - as they so often are - but ultimately written off as underachievers.

Despite being one of the most talented footballing nations in Europe and indeed the world, as a country, they have won just a single major tournament - the 1964 European Championship - and Aragones has revealed they are studying what has been holding them back.

"We're studying what (Italy, France, Germany) do that makes them better than us," revealed Aragones, before controversially declaring technical superiority to the Italians. "(Italy) is worse than us technically but they have other virtues in which they exceed us," he added, citing defence as an example.

No Raul? No Problem

Inevitably, a question regarding Raul reared its head.

Raul Gonzalez Blanco is Spain's all-time leading goal-scorer, with 44 goals in 102 games. He was controversially dropped by Aragones following some sub-par performances.

Despite since regaining something close to top form - he is leading the scoring charts for his side Real Madrid, who currently lead La Liga - he has not earned any recognition from the hard-line coach, who has been accused in many quarters of playing favourites.

Luis is a legend of Real's city rivals Atletico, and as such, many conspiracy theorists believe the manager is making a scapegoat of a Merengue and gaining personal pleasure from it. He has been criticised by many for playing favourites; in a recent provisional squad he included David Albelda - who has been sacked by his club Valencia and has not played competitive football in months - and not Raul.

Aragones, as ever, is unruffled: "We lost to an inferior rival [Northern Ireland]. My coaching team and I started to look at rejuvenating the group.

"No doubt that Raul is an important player to his team and one of the most important ever for the national team. But my conscious is clean ... I can sleep at night."

It Was A Compliment...!

Another controversial topic from Luis' recent past was brought up when he was questioned regarding the alleged racial slur he levelled at Thierry Henry in an attempt to 'motivate' Spanish international Jose Antonio Reyes before his side faced off against France in 2004.

"It was a compliment to Henry," Aragones stated, somewhat dubiously. "I called him the best because he was the best. Henry told me he was flattered."

On the possibility of Spain playing against a Basque national team, Aragones answered: "It's like this because you are not a country - you are not a nation." A Statement that will no doubt rile members of the province who strive for independence.

Bad Endings

Spain go into the Euros as one of the form teams, unbeaten in 14 games, including two victories over World Cup finalists Italy and France.

As part of Group D, play their first game against Russia on June 10, before then facing Sweden and Greece in a group they are expected to qualify from as leaders.

However, notoriously branded as chokers, indeed an exception 25 match unbeaten run in the lead-up to the 2006 World Cup did not stop them striding confidently through their group before being eliminated by France in the first knockout fixture.

"As (Spain) coach it always ends badly," sighed Aragones. "The day Spain wins a championship, that day it will end well for the coach."

Fernando Montabon, Goal.com

·
Arsenalation
2,036 Posts
i love aragones ever since thew day in 2004 when demetrio albertini scored in the last kick of the madrid derby from a freekick to make it 2-2.

i saw aragones celebrating like a madman and i was sold.

so happy to hear del bosque will be taking over. The tradition of proper football will continue. madrid were fools (as always) in sacking him

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
makes me wonder how VDB signing will play out in the other regions of spain and in fact this could be a step back in time...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts