Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so Iuliano has been sold to Mallorca, Legro and Tudor look to be packed off to Bologna and WBA respectively in January, Pessotto and Montero are likely gone in the summer and Ferrara is going to retire after this season. Birindelli has signed a contract extension but his poor displays this season could see him on his way out as well.

Which leaves us with basically just our starting back 4: Thuram, Canna, Zambrotta and Zebina come the end of the season.

Both Thuram and Canna are in their 30's, and we're going to have to replace them albeit not immediately and Moggi has done away (or rather is in the process) with all of our defensive cover, at Capello's behest.

Now far be it for a lehman such as myself to question a coach of Capello's calibre, but how logical is it to get rid of people like Tudor and Legro without obtaining credible replacements for them? The rumored transfer targets have also been unimpressive at best a la Bonera, either that or plain unfeasible like Puyol.

Who can we get that both embodies the quality that we want to continue the legacy our our fabled defences of the past, and who is also available on the market and would be priced reasonably?

There does seem to be a distinct lack of good defenders these days.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
you have a point nero...but for the right amount puyol can be attained, barcelona is not foreign to the notion of selling their best players...it would be ideal to have 8 defenders for the 4 spots...2 players for every spot...hypothetically speaking juve bring chiellini back this summer, keep mutu therefore usuing "cassano money" on puyol, buying squillaci and young italian defender who won't mind being the last in line and i think juventus have done okay for themselves...our starting 4 could look something like this...

zambrotta-squillaci-cannavaro-puyol

now if only this wasn't a pipe dream it woul dbe pretty impressive

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Thankyou never heard of him but then again I don't really pay attention to French Football and I do live in Canada where it is a small miracle that I am able to watch all the soccer I can. Thanks though.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Rumor has it that we helped Fiorentina capture Tomas Ujfalusi, so we might have an option to buy that player which would not be a bad addition. Another possibility is Chivu however that would take for a number of deals to take place, and I doubt that Sensi would help at all. I have not been very successful at predicting the defenders we buy, and right now I have no clue what Moggi is thinking.

·
Registered
17,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mcqeen, i just don't see Barca selling a bandiera like Puyol. And especially with the current lack of decent defenders at the moment, finding a replacement for such a consistent performer of his abilities would be very difficult, inspite of the wads of cash they'd get for his sale. I'm skeptical in other words, and think that we should be concerntrating on rather promising defenders that are not as established yet.

Squillaci wouldn't be half bad, he had a good season with Monaco in Ligue 1 and the CL. Unfortunately we're not rumored to be interested in him. :(

Chivu is the real deal, but he seems much too injury prone to me. We can observe how his fitness holds for the rest of this season, but he'd cost a lot and he seems a bit risky due to those fitness and injury issues. I'd rather go after Mexes...but then Roma would probably not sell.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Daniele Bonera seems to be the only realistic option because we have been linked with him for quite some time and he nearly joined Juventus on-loan before. Juve need more defenders so I definately think he will join us.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Hands off Puyol :)

There's a bigger chance we'd sign one of your star players than us selling Puyol.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
sebastian squillaci is the most logical (or un-logical) choice for that reason nero...moggi putting up his smokescreen saying he is over the moon for player a, when he really wants player b...and btw we have been linked to him in the past when it was being speculated that deschamps would be our next coach

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Good break down Nero.
I've said it before, but I think we will have only our starting 4 for next season, with one possible exception, and we surely need to have 8 defenders, which is rather a cut back compared to the 10-11 defenders we've been used to for some seasons now.

We just need more quality rather than more bulk I feel. I'd like to see one "starter quality" central defender arrive + a cover CD (by all means let it be Masiello if he's deemed good enough, and it's also likely that Montero stays out his contract). Add a starting quality right back- and Chiellini who should be a given.

Certainly, with Iuliano, Ferrara, Legro, Tudor, Pessotto and Birindelli all gone (plus perhaps Montero who's salries are high) it means that the wage budget looks very different indeed.

Tudor... we apparently look set to get 4,5mill Euro for him. The others, Legro and Birindelli... I imagine swap deals/loans are more likely than anything else.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
I'm pretty sure Barca won't sell their symbol to Juventus. I'm also sure that Puyol won't agree on it. It's just plain silly.

It's not the Juve style either to buy such players. Juventus isn't a club that buys "galacticos".

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Mago said:
:confused:

Elaborate on this.
I heard a lot of rumors from people in Turin who said that Juventus helped Fiorentina capture Ujfalusi instead of buying him ourselves, just to give him a tryout in Serie A before we pay money for him. If this is true and we actually helped La Viola sign him, we would probably have an option on him at some point and could buy him outright later. At least thats what some rumors say.

·
Registered
70,108 Posts
Glen said:
That's interesting GICA. Where do you get that? Never heard of it before.
The rumour appeared in the Spanish media. He´s doing very well along Perea in the Atletico defence.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Barcawinner said:
Hands off Puyol :)

There's a bigger chance we'd sign one of your star players than us selling Puyol.

True, and I dont know where such a stupid Rumor started. This equates with selling Del Piero in his prime. Puyol is Barca's heart.

I really dont see the replacements in sight. Perhaps we will raid Roma again, assuming their cash and ownership problems continue. Young defenders are always a gamble, no matter how good they may be at their level. We saw what happened to Tudor...for a few reasons he did not suceed here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts