Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I remember that early on the season, when Inter was conceeding too many goals, people blamed the Davids-Veron central midfield. Then Mancini listened to these people, and started using a 4-1-2-1 formation, without Davids. Even though Cambiasso showed a good form, the team didn't stop conceeding. Then, back to the 4-4-2, now with two DMs, Cristiano Zanetti and Cambiasso. And the defensive problems are still there.

So now I ask, do you still think that Davids and Veron can't work together on the center, in a 4-4-2 because of the defensive aspect?

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Why the hell did you ignore the fact that we've had several clean sheets with the CZ-Cambiasso pair? Something that Davids-Veron never achieved. :confused:

You're trying to serve your own purpose here :)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Several clean sheets? Yeah, against Livorno and Brescia, who are fighting for the scudetto and have amazing attack...great achievement.

When you faced better opposition, like Sampdoria last night, the two DMs duo didn't help a lot....I wonder why....

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Add Messina, Valencia and Anderlecht too..

5 makes it several.

So you say that we were only able to get these clean sheets because the attack of the other teams sucked? So I guess Atalanta, Bologna, Anderlecht (first match) have such strong attackers that Veron-Davids had no option but to concede 6 goals in total from these teams :howler:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No no no...

Valencia and Anderletch Davids was on the field, it wasn't the super CZ-Cambiasso duo
Against Atalanta, no Davids, no Veron.
Bologna, no Veron again.
Anderletch first leg, no Davids.

So check your stats, out of the 6 games you mentioned, in only one you were right.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Roberto Gallo said:
Several clean sheets? Yeah, against Livorno and Brescia, who are fighting for the scudetto and have amazing attack...great achievement.

When you faced better opposition, like Sampdoria last night, the two DMs duo didn't help a lot....I wonder why....
What about you worry about your team and we will worry about ours ;)

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Toldo, Cafe, JZ, Emre, VDM, L'Imperatore, Seba, Favalli, Matrix, Deki, Bobo
2-0 Bremen

Toldo, Cafe, JZ, Emre, L'Imperatore, Seba, Favalli, Cuchu, Matrix, Deki, Bobo
0-0 Milan

Toldo, Cafe, JZ, Hammer, VDM, L'Imperatore, Miha, Favalli, Cuchu, Deki, Bobo
5-0 Messina

Toldo, Cafe, JZ, Emre, L'Imperatore, Miha, Cuchu, Chino, Deki, Pasquale, Bobo
1-0 Brescia

Toldo, Nico, JZ, Hammer, VDM, L'Imperatore, Miha, Favalli, Cuchu, Deki, Bobo
0-2 Liverno

No Davids in 5 of the 7 games that we kept a clean sheet

No Seba in 4 in the 7 games

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interista said:
What about you worry about your team and we will worry about ours ;)
What about I talk about what I wanna talk and you shut up if you don't have anything good to say?

I post here for a long time and never had any problems. The old members, like Your Royal Highness, Pulsar and Nerazurri4life know me and I think they might be interested to hear what I say. If you aren't, go post your non-sense one line posts and leave me alone.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh ok, so that was humour.

Anyway, let's see....

Veron and Davids didn't have the chance to play together since the beginning of the season. At that point, Inter was leaking too many goals. I watched the game and saw that it had nothing to do with them....most goals came from defensive mistakes that were not lack of cover from the midfield. IMO, people made wrong judgements assuming that the cause was the lack of cover from them.

Time passed, Cambiasso showed good form and they didn't have the chance to have a sequence....Inter still conceeded too many goals. Now we see a slight improvement, but I think it is more tied to the fact that the defense started to play better with more time to work, and the opponents were weaker.

It's my opinion. No one has to agree, but we can discuss it. Maybe I'll change my opinion or you'll change yours.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Davids and Veron as a pair have done very little together to help us.

They aren't needed and hopefully both will leave the club in the summer.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Sorry if this is a bit off topic to the defense, but I think Veron slows our attack down too much. Inter has very quick players, and most of our play is very fast almost frantic at times. Veron slows everything down with his time on the ball. I think Davids can fit into our system, as he is quick for his age and can be placed on the left side where Stankovic plays if need be.

If you disagree about our quick play ... just look against Sampdoria and in this great season of us drawing, when we play from behind we have such a great sense of urgency we really pick it up. Especially with players like Adriano, Martins, and Recoba ... these are very fast forwards and need quick midfield as well.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Michael said:
Sorry if this is a bit off topic to the defense, but I think Veron slows our attack down too much. Inter has very quick players, and most of our play is very fast almost frantic at times. Veron slows everything down with his time on the ball. I think Davids can fit into our system, as he is quick for his age and can be placed on the left side where Stankovic plays if need be.
Sorry man, but I couldn't disagree more. Inter is a slow team, Cristiano Zanetti, Cambiasso and especially Stankovic take forever to decide what to do...the wingers are not the fastest around either....the only thing I can associate with speed in Inter is Martins, and he would only benefit from Veron's long passes.

If you disagree about our quick play ... just look against Sampdoria and in this great season of us drawing, when we play from behind we have such a great sense of urgency we really pick it up. Especially with players like Adriano, Martins, and Recoba ... these are very fast forwards and need quick midfield as well.
Recoba fast? I don't think so....

Yeah, the Sampdoria game....what I saw was Inter creating plays on the middle....Cambiasso appearing as a surprise element, Adrianos shots....I didn't see speed at all....all goals were not in a counter or wing fast style plays, they came from pressing the opponent.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
But Veron does slow down our game a bit. However, I wont go and say that he's been a liability. People tend to forget that he was assisting most of our goals in the early part of the season.

Defensively though, he's a big liability. He cant defend for shit and he is very slow for couter attacks. He is also sometimes easily dispossesed and fails to cover up for his mistakes.

As long as Veron can maintain his creative offensive play and accurate long balls, and as long as he keeps creating goals for us, I think he should start. The problem with his partnership with Davids is that Davids tends to think that he's a Maradonian player and most of the time attempts to outdribble opponents when his job should really be defending and providing cover for our other midfielders. He's often dispossesed and caught way out in offense, which exposes our whole midfield since Veron is not a good defensive midfielder himself.

The solution is to field a center partnership of Cambiasso-Veron. In this case, Cambiasso should stricly switch to all-defensive mode and forget about his runs forward. We have Emre and CZ as backup if anything goes wrong with this partnership.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Razman said:
But Veron does slow down our game a bit. However, I wont go and say that he's been a liability. People tend to forget that he was assisting most of our goals in the early part of the season.

Defensively though, he's a big liability. He cant defend for shit and he is very slow for couter attacks. He is also sometimes easily dispossesed and fails to cover up for his mistakes.
I agree he isn't the best player defensivily, but the thing is, in Serie A you rarely find teams which attack a lot through the middle. Small and mid table teams usually don't use or don't have good central midfielders, and even as a matter of caution, prefer to attack more in the flanks, since if you lose the ball there the risk to be caught on counter is smaller. In Sampdoria's game we could see it, all plays they made were constructed on the flanks....so there's no need to play a defensive central midfield. Cristiano Zanetti and Cambiasso naturally attacked because they didn't have much defensive work to do. And to put them to attack, I think it would be wiser to use at least one more skilled player on the center. Maybe not last Sunday because the options were scarce, but at least for future games.

As long as Veron can maintain his creative offensive play and accurate long balls, and as long as he keeps creating goals for us, I think he should start. The problem with his partnership with Davids is that Davids tends to think that he's a Maradonian player and most of the time attempts to outdribble opponents when his job should really be defending and providing cover for our other midfielders. He's often dispossesed and caught way out in offense, which exposes our whole midfield since Veron is not a good defensive midfielder himself.
But this is something that would come with time. What you are saying happened because Inter needed to press the opponent and Davids, a skilled player, tried to help. The same thing could be said about Cambiasso last Sunday...did you see how much he attacked? It's not because he's not a tactically aware player, it's not because he thinks he is Zidane, but his team needed to dictate the rythim of the match, and the midfield was not working properly. So he tried. Assign a marking job to him, like marking Totti as he did very well before, and he'll do his homework. Same for Davids.

The solution is to field a center partnership of Cambiasso-Veron. In this case, Cambiasso should stricly switch to all-defensive mode and forget about his runs forward. We have Emre and CZ as backup if anything goes wrong with this partnership.
I don't think Cambiasso-Veron would be bad, but I'm sure that an in-form Davids is better than an in-form Cambiasso.

YHR said an interesting thing to me on MSN: if Mancio gave time to Vieri-Adriano and it's now working, even if it wasn't likely to work, why not give time to Davids-Veron?

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Roberto Gallo said:
The same thing could be said about Cambiasso last Sunday...did you see how much he attacked? It's not because he's not a tactically aware player, it's not because he thinks he is Zidane, but his team needed to dictate the rythim of the match, and the midfield was not working properly. So he tried. Assign a marking job to him, like marking Totti as he did very well before, and he'll do his homework. Same for Davids.
But you see, the difference is that CZ and Cambiasso always swapped roles, one pushing forward and the other staying behind to anticipate counter attacks. In the Veron-Davids case, both players were pushing forward simultaneously through the middle and so whenever a counter attack started there was nobody to intercept.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Hey Hey Hey, I do believe Davids should be a starter for us, but here guys just dont like him, no matter how proven he is, Inter fans here take pride into saying he isnt good enough for us, yet they find every excuse to support Cristiano Zanetti.

When it is all over history will judge Cristiano Zanetti and Davids, and I´m willing to be that Davids will be seen as the better player.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts