Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Torres just said that the Qualilty of Keepers and defenders in EPL are poor. They are mainly using aggression and bad positioning. (Like he was scoring blindfolded.)

I think he is nuts, there is a guy called WoodGate. Do you agree?

btw which league has better Intelligence...? Serie A isnt so defensive anymore. Liga is Liga. Cannavaro and Samuel struggled there.

What do you think.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
He's spot on. EPL defenders mostly rely on trying to knock players off the ball rather than positioning. Serie A is still the best defensively.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
Well then what's his excuse for scoring the vast majority of his goals at Anfield? Surely if they're shit enough for him to score against at Anfield, they're shit enough for him to score against away from Anfield?

Anyway, I'm surprised Ferdinand's let Torres out of his pocket long enough to do his interview.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Ferdinand is probably one of the few English defenders (along with Gallas, Carvalho and Skrtel) who play a non-English style. You'd expect Torres to struggle a bit against them. As for the majority of the rest, they'd rather kick Torres in the shin than attempt to win the ball.

·
Registered
69,977 Posts
He´s right. I really like the game in English league, but they let spaces at the back, and it´s easier for quick strikers.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Torres just said that the Qualilty of Keepers and defenders in EPL are poor. They are mainly using aggression and bad positioning. (Like he was scoring blindfolded.)

I think he is nuts, there is a guy called WoodGate. Do you agree?

btw which league has better Intelligence...? Serie A isnt so defensive anymore. Liga is Liga. Cannavaro and Samuel struggled there.

What do you think.
Saw an article earlier but it didn't mention goalkeepers.:confused:

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"In England, the keepers usually come out too soon and try to go one on one with you.

"The only exceptions are Edwin van der Sar and Petr Cech, who hold and hold and try to keep themselves big as you close in on them.

"That's why, against Manchester United and Chelsea, I try to hit the ball early.

"The rest of the Premier League keepers tend to come out at you and throw themselves down at the ball too quickly.

"In general, that's the reason so many goals are scored when a striker dribbles down the right or left and the keeper goes down at his feet. But if you anticipate what's coming, it's easier to score.

"The central defenders are usually big, strong, aggressive lads. I guess it is probably because of these characteristics that the majority think they can solve problems by getting tough with me.

"But the truth is most of them lack defensive positioning as a result of their reliance on strength and aggression and so leave so much space for you to take advantage of."

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
He speaks some sense I guess. There are many exceptions to the rule, but there are a lot of defenders who rely on strength and aggression to gain the upper hand.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
im glad he sounds like he knows what hes talking about in terms of football. it is refreshing to hear footballers utter non-cliche lines or at the very least sound intelligent. hope he can use this wealth of knowledge at the euros.

i dont think anyone can disagree with what he has to say. he certainly has had the advantage of playing in the two biggest leagues so he can compare and contrast using his experience.

·
Registered
66,817 Posts
Italian/Spanish/English defenders....no offense to the English but the former two produce slightly more intelligent players.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
where the heck is the criticism :googly:, he is just speaking of the footballers mannerisms he has come accustomed to. you have taken it all out of context, especially considering he said that he has been getting a lot of help from Xavi Valero (gk coach at Liverpool) at understanding the different motions and styles of players. About the defenders he didn't say they are bad just that they see him as soft and as a result, try to be over-physical with him.

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
Italian/Spanish/English defenders....no offense to the English but the former two produce slightly more intelligent players.
Ferdinand's currently the world's best and classiest defender

so there's your theory out of the window.

·
Registered
66,817 Posts
Ferdinand's currently the world's best and classiest defender

so there's your theory out of the window.
Ferdinand's awsome, an exception to the rule. In general English players aren't the most clever of players though.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Ferdinand's awsome, an exception to the rule. In general English players aren't the most clever of players though.
Woodgate is a clever defender. Ask Real Madrid fans.

And on a smaller scale, Phil Jagielka is a very intelligent defender as well. I rate him.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
ohh...... so thats why he plays crap for spain, because other teams know how to defend,(apart from england) and why he never shined for atletico, much.
great comments though!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts