Xtratime Community banner

Defence

846 views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  Narentino 
#1 ·
Until Brown gets many games under his belt, he will still produce crap performances, and if fergie keeps playing him in the centre of defence we will be fcuked. We should move g neville as a centre back with silvestre, with brown on the right and oshea on the left,,,,,,or move o'shea as a centre back with fortune as a left back and either g neville/brown as a right back.

The last option and imo thw worst would be to move keano in defence....while this will help the defence by a mile and he will help to organise them....our midfield will be much weaker as butt and p neville together cant do half the job that keano does.

What do you think fergie should do withthe defence???

#2 ·
Brown has always been a concern for me since that FA cup tie agaisnt villa when he came on for Ferdinand and practicly gave villa the equaliser. He's been shaky ever since and although we know that ther is a great defensive talent there, it will take a bit of time to prize it out.

Having said that, he was OK today. No glaring mistakes...........well got nutmegged by Rooney, and there was 1 cross he should have blocked but didn't................. Fortunately howard was there to make the save.

I agree with you in that with more games, he will get better. I think the best way is to put Gary neville at Centre back and Brown goes to right back. Silvestre stays at CB and O'shea on the left. Although O'Shea can play at CB, i still think he's a bit inexperienced to give him that position. And I'm not too happy with fortune playing at left back either. He's good as left wing and even does the job in central medfield, but im unsure of his defending abilities.

As far as Keane playing centre back goes, I would actually like to see that. With keane at CB, it give Butt more of a chance getting into the midfield and showing us what he can do. He was brilliant in the FA cup game against Northamton, so its about time he got a run in the team.

G
#5 ·
SuicideDD said:
Another one would maybe be:

Gary----O'Shea----Silvestre----Fortune

Good attacking fullbacks. Mikael is rock solid, and O'Shea would give us height and agression in the centre of defence which we've lacked since Rio was banned.
Despite O'Shea's two glaring weaknesses being lack of aggresion and being poor in the air?

#8 ·
I think we should move Keano into central defence to give us more organisation, it's worth a try until Wes gets some match fitness. With Keano absent from midfield we can play Butt :)

We should of brought in another central defence to be brutally honest :(.

G
#9 ·
Keane into central defense is not the answer IMO because he doesn't fill the main need, some1 who is dominant in the air. Plus he's slower than Brown so that's a step back as well. AND if you move Keane, no matter who you bring into midfield, it's going to be a huge drop in class. Moving Keane IMO would only increase the problem

There was a simple solution to United's problems, and an obvious player to sign, who would have solved all your problems, unfortunately he just signed on loan for Man. City

#10 ·
Doc_Rule said:
Keane into central defense is not the answer IMO because he doesn't fill the main need, some1 who is dominant in the air. Plus he's slower than Brown so that's a step back as well. AND if you move Keane, no matter who you bring into midfield, it's going to be a huge drop in class. Moving Keane IMO would only increase the problem

There was a simple solution to United's problems, and an obvious player to sign, who would have solved all your problems, unfortunately he just signed on loan for Man. City
I take it you are referring to Daniel Van Buyten - it is surprising we didn't go for him considering we were keeping tabs on him for ages and that he would fit the bill for what we need.

Personally as far as the defence goes i don't think we have anyone even remotely able to fill Rio's boots until he gets back. The only thing which gives me a crumb of comfort is that for a period last season Wes and Silvestre did play together pretty well - but O'Shea is not a full back and neither is Fortune. In the summer we need to invest in a world class left back.

#11 ·
Saha is the problem,you have shifted one out of midfield and now you are getting outplayed in midfield,drop Saha and you would improve a lot.

obviously Wes Brown and Silvestre are pretty woeful players,but if you give them protection and cut off the supply line from midfield they won't be expose,Keane is too old,he needs Neville or Butt to do the running. :cool:

this is my view

#12 ·
drop Saha ?....how could that be the problem with DEFENSE....there are still 8 players behind the Saha and RVN.....maybe they are still getting used to that formation but thats it....your telling me United cant shut down a team with 2 players UP FRONT ?...not likely...Saha just came...man utd's defense was never GREAT this year....they should still be strong enough to play a 4-4-2 and not get exposed ...sir alex just needs to coach a little better....look at man utd record...i dont see a problem.....its just Arsenal has been better....still got a while to go

#13 ·
I dont think Keano in central defence is the solution. As somebody has already said, without Keano in the midfield, our midfiled will be severely weakened. I dont think Butt or P. Neville can do the job Keano does. I agree with Russ, we really should have bought a central defender. To be very honest, after Rio got banned, I thought Wesley would do an excellent job in replacing him and I didnt see the need for us to buy a central defender. However, now I think our best option would have been to get Daniel Van Buyten on loan.

#14 ·
Doc_Rule said:

Sh!t I should've read this post before posting my thoughts. The views are almost exactly the same :eek:.

#15 ·
sHaHed said:
Sh!t I should've read this post before posting my thoughts. The views are almost exactly the same :eek:.
well i would advise you,to proceed straight to your GP in the morning ,sHaHed :cool:

he will give you all the tlc you need and also the drugs that will get you back on track,just tell him you agreed with Doc :dazed: and i am sure you will be hospitalised and given a padded suit in no time. :D

there,there,laddy ;)

#16 ·
AS_Roma83 said:
drop Saha ?....how could that be the problem with DEFENSE....there are still 8 players behind the Saha and RVN.....maybe they are still getting used to that formation but thats it....your telling me United cant shut down a team with 2 players UP FRONT ?...not likely...Saha just came...man utd's defense was never GREAT this year....they should still be strong enough to play a 4-4-2 and not get exposed ...sir alex just needs to coach a little better....look at man utd record...i dont see a problem.....its just Arsenal has been better....still got a while to go
the defence looked ok when Phil Neville was running hard and closing down but now they have a 37 year old Keane and a small lad who wouldn't know defending if it came up to him in the street and called him a "ginger minge" :D

they need defender and midfielder,they have lost one,they had a back eight that had cover from the ninth,they have lost Rio and Neville in defensive terms,OK they are both very ordinary players but they did a simple job.

#17 · (Edited)
Jern Lizardhous said:
he will give you all the tlc you need and also the drugs that will get you back on track,just tell him you agreed with Doc :dazed: and i am sure you will be hospitalised and given a padded suit in no time. :D

there,there,laddy ;)
:D

#23 ·
SuicideDD said:
Yep, I seriously think that Silvestre is one of the best centre-backs in the Premiership.

And Silvestre's passing is superb, especially for a defender.
i have to disagree,his mind wanders,he makes awful decisions and at times he looks in a dreamworld.

i think he'd could play left back,so he isn't as dangerous,Mexes at CB would be great IMO.

i just think Silvestre is terrible,and i think in time when your clouded 'United' bias has faded and when he's made a couple of major fukups in CL action,you will agree with me ;) :tongue: :D

#24 ·
Jern Lizardhous said:
i have to disagree,his mind wanders,he makes awful decisions and at times he looks in a dreamworld.

i think he'd could play left back,so he isn't as dangerous,Mexes at CB would be great IMO.

i just think Silvestre is terrible,and i think in time when your clouded 'United' bias has faded and when he's made a couple of major fukups in CL action,you will agree with me ;) :tongue: :D
I swear, it's really not United-bias. I think he's been our most consistent defender for the past 2 years.

When he first came here he was very poor. He had everything to grow into a great defender even in his early days here. Nearly all his "problems" at that time were due to inexperience and occasional lack of concentration, which was not a sin considering how young he was at that time.

He's very fast, strong, great technique and has good distribution. I think that the only thing he needs to work on is his reading of the game. Still superb though.

Can't think of any mistakes this season, yet I can think of at least 5 saving tackles.

#25 ·
well i can think of loads of mistakes he made,the shambolicness against Fuham stands out when he thought he had three legs,he has got away with countless other dopey decisions,in the air he is simply appalling and he also wafts at clearances and has gotten away with them as well.

still i i know you think he is great,but i see something different,agree to disagree ?

but Mexes would be great i think for you even if you like Silvestre,surely you need a left back ,so Silvestre can move there ?;)

#26 ·
getting mexes would be great. our defence would be much stronger. all of our defenders would be yound and they could form a partnership for the next 6-7 years at least

silvestre rio mexes o'shea

but many clubs want him, and if he decides to come to england he will go to the champions (either arsenal or united) or if chelsea dont win it, he could still go after their checkbook

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.