Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know things are getting a little heated around here as they have been all season. I've been a huge reason for that and I will apologize. Cacini I gave you a couple of low blows. Your a little bit to much of a smart ass sometimes but I know you love Roma more than me at the very least. Fiorito you can have your opinion and I will respect it and it we can work from there. Those are the two people who stand out in my mind when I make my apologies in a bid to make everyone calm down. So lets get back to discussing the sport we all love.

What the defence is going to look like next season hinges on what is going to happen to Dellas. Dellas has proved himself to be our most consistent defender. I feel that we should keep him at the very least as a sub. Ferrari he has a good game one game and then loses confidence the next, it is a painful thing to see. I feel I would be better able to judge him at the end of the season but right now I don't think he is ever going to be very reliable in the future for us. Mexes is looking very good right now and is consistently getting better I think we should definately keep a hold of him. Scurto might be loaned out to gain experience. Bovo has a good header and blocks shots. I haven't seen him make any good tackles this season but I haven't been able to watch Parma play unfortunately so I can't judge this aspect of his game. My feeling is that I would like him at Roma better than I would Ferrari.

Cufre is a lion in defence but not really attacking I think we should keep him just as a sub or put him in as a midfield destroyer and he can be our Gattuso. Panucci has had a decent season with us I wouldn't mind if he stayed as he is are only real viable option for right back but if he left I wouldn't cry to much if he was adequately replaced but I don't really see any options so he should stay. Ferronetti we shold probably bring back just to give us options in the right wing. Haven't seen him play so I can't judge him but if we can't get any veteran players who can cut it then he should be the one we go for. To be honest I wouldn't mind if Betterani came for us on the left defence as he is at the very least better than Cufre going forward and he is good defensively. He would be cheap to get and would help us out immensely. Cassetti from Lecce would be a decent option for us on the right as well as Mesto from Reggina.

So what do you guys think? I'd want to keep Dellas, probably get rid of Ferrari unless he starts playing consistently at the level he has showed he can. Of course only if we have an adequate replacement for him, but I'm in favour of him sitting on the bench, if we have Mexes-Chivu of Mexes-Dellas or any other combination. Bring in Bovo for a sub role as we know we will get some injuries. Bring in Betterani and either Cassetti or Mesto for the right. If either of those prove to expensive then Ferronetti would be our back up to Pannucci and/or Mancini depeding on our formation. I want to have Mexes, Chivu, Dellas, Ferrari, and Bovo for centre defence. With Betterani and Cufre with a Chivu option for the left and Mesto/ Cassetti with Panucci/Mancini on the right, with Ferronetti coming in is Mesto/Cassetti don't arrive.

I hope this doesn't degenerate into a discussion about anything other than this. Peace guys.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
isnt bettereni like 34 now?

hes always been a good player but hes going downhill..shame cos 10 years ago i really thought he would be a great player

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
To me the problem isn´t the centerbacks, I have good confidence in Ferrari, Chivu and Mexes. But in modern football, you have to have good left and right backs. Like Roma had back in the days with Cafu and Candela. But this is a question of money, and money is primarily going to keeping the tridente. But for me, a reasonable solution would be Casseti and Parisi, would make me very happy.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sharp just keep it in mind that this is not about problems but rather about what do you think our defence should look like next year. Just keep it in mind.

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
pirri said:
isnt bettereni like 34 now?

hes always been a good player but hes going downhill..
Just a reminder that Maldini and Costacurta are both way older than that and still perform at the highest level. A good defender can last long.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you play in centre defence which is a little less demanding than right back as you don't have to attack you can do that longer, but yes Carbone of Valencia is still playing and he's 40.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
You don't know which club's captainsband a certain Amadeo CarbonI wore, before joining Valencia, do you? ;)

Carboni1
Carboni2

the victories and the losses will pass,
the joy and the dissapointments,
the only thing that will stay
is the love for this shirt

thank you Roma
thank you guys

Amadeo Carboni :proud:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I knew Carboni played for Roma but I believe that the assumption people had when he moved to Valencia was that he was going to retire in a warmer climate not come close to a Champions League win.

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Well, media is reporting today that Dellas could leave for La Liga at season's end, when his contract expires, and Ferrari is said to be unhappy with the surroundings at Roma and also could leave.
Mexes has improved a lot, but he really takes a lot of chances back there and frankly it's starting to concern me. He's cost us some points recently - first against Bologna for not clearing an easy bouncing cross, then being red carded vs. Inter, one foul on Adriano caused Mija's first decisive goal (even tho it was a questionable call).
I expect Juve to come after either Mexes or Chivu. It sure would be nice to see Chivu sweet smiling face on the pitch again, huh?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Hmm you said you wanted Bettarini and Mesto, I said I wanted Parisi and Cassetti, where´s the difference? =)

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sharp I was referring to when you said "To me the problem isn´t the centerbacks." The point of this thread is not about focusing on 'the problem' as that leads to the very real possibility of a conversation on Del Neri which is the very last thing we need right now. I'm just asking what people think the defence of next year should look like, but perhaps I am being to controling... I'll keep quiet about this. And Parisi and Cassetti would be fine.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Would like to see Parisi-Mexes-Chivu-Cassetti, I just wanted to explain my choices :) If Ferrari wants to go, that´s fine, as long as Chivu stays, and I´d love it if Dellas could stay, as a sub, and can contribute with experience on practices and off the pitch. Bovo and this Ferronetti I don´t now to much about, only seen Bovo in a few games, where he has done both good and bad things, always with a big fighting spirit though, which has impressed me. And I really agree with you that this shouldn´t turn in to a pie tossing against Del Neri, infects every tread enough as it is.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Here's my ideal defence:

Grosso-Chivu-Mexes-Mesto

But I also like sharp's ideas. Two players out of Parisi/Grosso and Mesto/Cassetti would be good. If we can't afford two defenders, there's nothing wrong in moving Chivu out left and then insert Dellas in the central defence. But I prefer two new players.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have to keep Dellas first Thotobald which should be very important to us, and I hope we do so very soon, but I doubt it will happen. Sharp your players are excellent choices though perhaps Parisi should play on the left and Cassetti should play on the right ;).

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
You guys are nuts, no Cufre?!? With the exception of the marvelous attacking trio, Cufre's been our best player this season, by far. The left back spot is filled more than adequately for me.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Zangari_Italia said:
Sharp your players are excellent choices though perhaps Parisi should play on the left and Cassetti should play on the right ;).
Of course that's what he meant, he only showed differently than we usually do. I chose to do it the same way. Grosso left back, Mesto right back. :)

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was joking Thotobald I'm a little bit of a jerk sometimes. Romafan53 I kind of see Cufre as a bench player, as an alternative to left back position or centre defence position. I see him as the tiger that will motivate the atarting players, who is always there ready to claim a spot in the starting line up. I eventually would like to see him in times of need or as a way of solidifying the line or as a safeguard if one of our buys don't work out. I love the guy but he can't attack well enough for a Roma team that moves forward on the wing position, Centre of defence maybe he could start there. I want to see him used just not as much as he is now as I want someone who can attack in his position.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
I just don't understand, how can you see Cufre as a bench player after all he's done this season? Personally, i'd like to see him play in the centre of a three man defence with Mexes and Chivu, that is his natural position, but if we don't have that luxury, and use a four man defence, i'd prefer Cufre there over Grosso, Parisi, or any player(except, maybe, possibly, if he came to his senses, Zambrotta;)) any day of the week. In fact if we had eight Cufres behind our tridente this season, i'd be amazed if we even conceded a goal. He is the epitmoe of our symbol, the wolf. He's got more heart than an organ factory, he has to stay, and he has to play, attacking ability or not.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts