Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a few threads about Inter Milans defensive woes, I thought to myself it was time to go to the stat book, and what I found absolutely shocked me.

Even when Inter-Milan were under the guidance of Hector Cuper who is laregly known as a boring defensive coach, we still had a very big problem at the back.

In 2001/02, his first year as coach, we had by far the worst defence of the three clubs which were vying for the championship, we had 11 more goals conceded than Roma and 12 more goals than Juventus, keep in mind we were leading the championship table for most of the latter part of that season.

In 2002/03, again under the guidance of Hector Cuper we finish with 38 goals conceded, that total was the highest for any club from the top 6 in the final standings, please keep in mind we finished 2nd that seascon.

Now, I dont know about you people, but to have a bad defence under Hector Cuper just doesnt sound right, you people might say that we had two pretty solid seasons in '02 and '03, and '04 wasnt such a bad year. Well, that might be true, but imagine if we had conceded 5/10 less goals, I assure you we would have won the Scudeeto in 01/02. We havent conceded less than 35 goals for the last 3 years, whereas the championship winning team has averaged 27 goals against, we have averaged 36 goals against. This year we have already conceded 24 goals, whereas Juventus have conceded 7.

So why have we been like this in our defensive department? Well, I can only pin-point an area which hasnt had much attention from you guys, our left-back position. Who have we had over the last few years in that area? Gresko? Georgatos? Coco (keep in mind injuries)?? Favalli??

Our defence has been mediocre for years to say the least, then why has our defence gone from mediocre to appaling all of a sudden if our Left Back position isnt better or worse off than it has ever been?
Well, thats because Cordoba and Materazzi who were once the best defensive duo in Italy have gone down the hill, therefore exposing our defence even greater. To add to that, the pathetic sale of Cannavaro who is currently in the best three defnders in Italy has rubbed salt into the wound. Even though he didnt have the greatest of times at Inter (particularly last season) he is still a seasoned defender, its simply enough he is the proud captain of the best defence in the world (Italy).

The solution?

Well, its a much bigger problem than buying a new LB that's for sure, we now have a BAD defence. Conceding 24 goals at this point of the season means we will probably end up with 55/58 goals scored against us by the end of the season, surely not championship winning numbers. The solution is our defence needs a completely new structure. Time to get rid of everyone and start afresh, Favalli, Coco, Materazzi, Pasquale, Mihaljovic, Gamarra and maybe even Burdisso (he has to be loaned out to a SERIE A side in my opinion) all have to be shipped out and we have to buy players who will serve the club for long years. We dont need quick-fixes, we need a whole new generation of defenders. Cordoba is pretty hard to judge, I see his problem as just being off-form and a not a deterioation of his skills, Ive liked afew of his efforts this season, but he is still a long way off from being in acceptable form, he is now 27/28 and at his prime, I dont think medicore form should be accepted from him, he should be putting in world-class performances right now, that is not the current case.

Ok, this is going to sound crazy, but right now, we need to go out there and buy the best defensive talent out there, but, it has to be done WISELY, we have to take long-term decisions. It is about time we went out there and put money on this problem and started taking some hard decision in regards to some of the players we currently have out there representing the black and blue.

WE NEED A COMPLETE OVER-HAUL OF OUR DEFENCE

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Christian said:
WE NEED A COMPLETE OVER-HAUL OF OUR DEFENCE
Even thought I am not a big fan of your defense, I think the standard Inter solution to all problems (the complete over-haul) may not serve you well. Consistency and reassurance can raise the standard of most players.

Constantly changing players and coaches just makes everybody nervous and makes them underperform.

But that is just my opinion, I may be wrong :)

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
I exposed the same statistics as Christian did a while ago, although with a different purpose.

It's a bit of a catch22 situation for Inter. Inter lets too many goals due too their offensive tactics and the inadequate qualty of the defensemen who don't defend counter-attacks very well. However, if they go back to Cuper's tactics, it's never going to win them anything because the tactics with two defensive midfielders in the middle is obsolete and is used only by teams from the relegation zone.

Inter's problem is that the defenders do not anticipate, they have no football feeling, they never take initiative and try to pre-empt the oponent's move,. Instead, they always wait for others and then act which is not always effective. One of the defenders is an exception: Mihajlovic. The trouble is he is 36.

So, I'm afraid it's back to the transfer market for you people...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts