Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently witnessed a heated debate between a Scottish girl and a Scottish guy, both studying Psychology here in London. The guy was claiming that Scotland is the home of deep-fried Mars bar (in addition to deep-fried pizza!), meaning a Mars covered in batter and fried, much like fish. The girl frantically denied the existance of such a "delicacy" in Scottish chip shops and claimed that it was an urban myth since she has lived in Edinbrough her whole life and she never, ever shaw one. At the moment, I thought the guy was merely pulling legs and was inclined to believe the girl but a small research on the internet seems to prove that it does exist.

What's your take on this? Has anyone tried it? Sounds disgusting to be honest!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yep, invented in Aberdeen (possibly after the chip shop mannies got fed up with frying all that fish ;) ) and an interesting culinary experience to say the least.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
They were invented in Aberdeen? I thought Glaswegians were to blame. Proud to say I never tried one. I preferred to try a deep-fried Crunchie :thumbsup: Very nice, but got the feeling my arteries would only let me away with it once...

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I don't think they've actually ever been "on sale". You have to work up the nerve to go in and ask for them. Not easy unless you're pished. I just did it for the banter...

·
Registered
946 Posts
It was started in Stonehaven. I remember listening to the sport programme on Radio Scotland one Saturday morning and they had some tennis guy on. It turns out he was in Stonehaven one day and saw all these local kids bringing chocolate bars to the chippie and getting the guy to fry them up. This tennis chap told a friend of his at the Press and Journal (or some other Aberdonian paper) and the story then spread to Glasgow, then Manchester, then London.

Thankyouverymuch.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
i've never seen one on the menu before but i think they would make you one if you were to ask. actually they'd probably deep fry anything if you'd ask!

worst thing i've ever seen being advertised for sale is the stonner donner. I'm not 100% sure but i think this is a deep fried sausage, wrapped in a donner kebab meat, put in pitta bread with chips and spicy sauce, battered then deep fried some more! :yuck: I think it's the unhealtiest fast food in Britain and the place i have seen it on sale has a notice on it's window saying customers are only allowed to get it once a week. :skull:

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Very interesting :D

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
My local chippy is run by a scotsman, he does sell deep fried mars bars. They are very nice actually. I remember during my lunch hour when i was at school i would get a deep-fried mars bar a few times a week :party: . Deep-fried ice cream is also delicious.

They aren't on the menu but this jock will deep fry anything and wont even bat an eyelid :D ;)

The only time i have seen them on menus is when i was in Scarborough,

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Bohemian Celtic said:
Can't be as bad as deep fried black pudden in batter :yuck:
That's my chippy meal of choice i'll have you know :stuckup: Solidified blood loyal :shades:

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
That's my chippy meal of choice i'll have you know :stuckup: Solidified blood loyal :shades:
Never tried it...sounds good though! :lick:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Teddy Bear said:
how does the deep fried ice cream work? does it not melt?

or am i just showing my total ignorance of cooking here :D
Suprisingly not, the batter stops the ice cream melting.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Blackpudding from the chippy - utterly fantastic.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Don't knock it till you've tried it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts