Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there was a Yugoslav footballer by the name of Damir Desnica in the 70's and 80's, who played for HKN Rijeka, and was completely deaf. He knew by the reactions of his teammates when the ref blew the whistle. He was included in the best XI of all time for Rijeka, and even made it to the national team level, playing one game and scoring one goal.

Do you know of any others?

·
Registered
27,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh and btw, Damir is from the same place as my father, Dado Prso, and Luka Modric's family- Obrovac. :proud::thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I don't know if we had any deaf players but Holland legend Willem van Hanegem had very bad sight. Everything was a blur for him on the field, and when a player passed a ball to him he had to use his instincts and the sound to detect where the ball was so he could anticipate on it. It didn't hold him winning the European Cup with Feyenoord in 1970 and playing fantastic during World Cup 74 reaching the final which unfortunately Holland lost.

Amazing story, because he was known for his tactical insight, his fantastic passing range and his ability with the ball at his feet. After Johan Cruyff the most respected footballer we ever had in Holland. Now he wears glasses! :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ajax and Oranje goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg is deaf in one ear. he says it's no disadvantage at all for him because the hearing of the other ear is extra good (just like blind people develop their other senses better).

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
There's a deaf player for Maryland in the USL Second Division here in the uS

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
In my school days I had on-field training which included working with deaf people. I even speak a bit of Belgian sign language. I have worked with deaf people and blind people for about a year, and so I know this minority quite well. They are very nice people and very thankful to those who help them with their struggles.

You would be surprised how many blind people love football. They just hear from the emotions on the stand and from the reporter what happens, and despite not seeing anything they really have the emotions throughout the game just like hearing/seeing people.

I also attended several games in the Benelux deaf league (every player in the time must be hearing impaired). The referee waves a flag to replace blowing a whistle. They play only for fun but I enjoyed those games, a few of those players were quite good even.

I doubt players with serious problems can reach the top. I mean, the one Yugoslav guy is a huge exception. I would personally love to see a first autistic player reach professional level, I doubt it will ever happen though. deaf players may be able to do it, but it will be exceptions.

·
Registered
69,624 Posts
there was a Yugoslav footballer by the name of Damir Desnica in the 70's and 80's, who played for HKN Rijeka, and was completely deaf. He knew by the reactions of his teammates when the ref blew the whistle. He was included in the best XI of all time for Rijeka, and even made it to the national team level, playing one game and scoring one goal.

Do you know of any others?
there is a famous story about him when NK Rijeka played Real Madrid in the UEFA Cup and Rijeka almost beat them in two legs. Desnica was sent off, one of the yellow's for insulting the referee, yet he was deaf and only communicated with body language. Seems like the refs were biased back then as well, we can't see the mighty Real Madrid fall to some Croatian club :pp

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
I don't know if we had any deaf players but Holland legend Willem van Hanegem had very bad sight. Everything was a blur for him on the field, and when a player passed a ball to him he had to use his instincts and the sound to detect where the ball was so he could anticipate on it. It didn't hold him winning the European Cup with Feyenoord in 1970 and playing fantastic during World Cup 74 reaching the final which unfortunately Holland lost.

Amazing story, because he was known for his tactical insight, his fantastic passing range and his ability with the ball at his feet. After Johan Cruyff the most respected footballer we ever had in Holland. Now he wears glasses! :D
:eek: that is an amazing story :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I know of that Hibernian player with bad eyesigh as above.

There are plenty of examples of blind-ish in rugby.

Not heard of deaf ones though

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
Surely you know most players are deaf, or at least have selective hearing, and those that do hear all are usually thick, and can't make sense of the words they hear. Now the footballers who are illiterate is a real problem. cnat raed ro wirte.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Horsham, a non-league side, who reached the FA Cup 3rd Round, have a player called Lee Farrell who is deaf and partially dumb. He was born deaf but still scored 2 against Swansea, as they lost 6-2. His manager said if it wasn't for his disability he'd be playing a lot higher up. He's captained Britain at the Paralympics in football, where they won Gold.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Not trying to offend anyone but had to smile when I noticed that the thread below this one was "quiet midfielders" and I'm thinking that a deaf player will have played with and against a lot of them (not to mentiond goalies, defenders and strikers).:embarass:

·
Registered
27 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Bastin

The Second World War intervened when Bastin was 27, thus cutting short what should have been the peak of his career. Bastin was excused military service he failed the army hearing test owing to his increasing deafness. Thus, during the war, he served as an ARP Warden, being stationed on top of Highbury stadium with Tom Whittaker. He also played matches in the war-time league to boost civilian morale. In 1941, Fascist Italy's propaganda broadcast on Rome Radio, contained a bizarre claim that Bastin had been captured in the Battle of Crete, and was being detained in Italy; the Italians were seemingly unaware that Bastin was deaf and had been excused service

·
*the drum drum*
43,001 Posts
Horsham, a non-league side, who reached the FA Cup 3rd Round, have a player called Lee Farrell who is deaf and partially dumb. He was born deaf but still scored 2 against Swansea, as they lost 6-2. His manager said if it wasn't for his disability he'd be playing a lot higher up. He's captained Britain at the Paralympics in football, where they won Gold.
Partially dumb? :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts